HOW MANY EAT ONLY ORGANIC????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilbird, Oct 8, 2005.

1. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I have decided to go full blown organic. I already eat organic chicken and most of my veggies are organic. But I will be replacing all the packaged foods with organic as I use it up. I am also going to change my cleaning products.

I am really starting to beleave that all the toxins we are exposed to are making us sick. How can our immune systems keep up.

I know organic is expensive, do any of you have any suggestions on where to shop? Any good website to order from? I get most of my veggies at a organic famers market.

Cathy
  2. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

We eat only organic meat, chicken and fish. I buy them at Wild Oats Market. I haven't gotten organic veggies yet because they're more expensive.

One thing we eat and love are buffalo burgers. They taste better than regular hamburger meat. We also began eating veggie burgers, which are yummy!

My son, who had a VERY BAD case of ulcerative colitis got better from changing his diet to organic foods. You may not realize it, but it does make a big difference!

BxGirl
  3. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

The market is slowly growing up here. Luckily, organic dairy is a local product, as a relatively short distance from here is CROPP, the producers of Organic Valley. Our local supermarket carries many of their products, so Our girls have always had Organic milk once they turned a year old! I had a much easier time finding organics in a large city.

However, there are Amish communities in the area and they do sell organic produce at roadside stand throughout hte summer- as well as handmade baskets and furniture! The prices on these straight-from-the-farm fruits and vegetables are MUCH lower than grocery stores. It may be comparable to your farmer's market, but I don't know. I used to love to go to the organic farmer's market when I lived down south... but you have to make do with what's available!

Because of the demographics in this area, there are many dedicated to natural foods, organics and overall healthful choices. There are co-ops that you can join for a small yearly fee- then you are able to order directly from a supplier's catalog. Usually for members there is a generous discount. Even at larger stores, if you buy in bulk, whether it is the bulk bins or cases of Edenblend (my FAVORITE!), they are likely to give you a discount- if they are hesitant, remind them that there should not need to be any additional costs on their part as stocking, shelving, pricing individually or taking up shelf space. If you like to can, or if you have several friends interested as well, you may go in on a case together. But always ask for a discount if you are buying a large quantity of something.

I look for growers. I used to assist an organic certification inspector, so I have an edge, but I have found many organic growers will sell direct if you ask them. I get my eggs straight from the farm. Brown eggs, from free-range, organic hens. Yum. $1/ dozen. He will also sell me fresh chicken and other meats.

Our local grocery store had no organics in it when I moved here, and now they not only have the more recognizable organic brands, but they have their "store brand" products and now they have their "organic store brand" products!

As far as expense, it has been proven in numerous studies that the nutrititional content of organic foods is far superior to its conventional counterparts. That means you get more for your $$. Also, the law of supply and demand suggests that the more of us that but organics on a regular basis, the more they will be avaiable, and the prices will begin to drop. But the fact remains, organic farming is a more expensive and labor-intensive. We should support the farmers who all willing to commit to that for our health and our environment.

If you are on the fence, or still prefer to just "grab what's there", at least keep this in mind always:

12 Most Contaminated Foods

Apples
    Bell Peppers
    Celery
    Cherries
    Imported Grapes
    Nectarines
    Peaches
    Pears
    Potatoes
    Red Raspberries
    Spinach
    Strawberries

Do not buy the above foods to feed to yourself and your families unless they are organic.

As a sort of sidebar, have you noticed how many mainstream companies are introducing "whole grains" and "organics"!! Yaay!

Lollie
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we've started eating organic chicken - £8, thats over $14US.
    It does me and my husband for two days then we make soup with the carcass (wouldnt have done that with ordinary chicks).

Eat organic eggs, some veg but as I said it is far too expensive in UK.

Wish I could afford it.

love
    Rosie
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I occassionally buy organic, but, to tell you the truth, I just can't afford it.
    I live in the mountains and the organic produce and meat can only be bought at the one health food store in another town or at the supermarket, where it costs more than twice what the other things cost. So I don't.
    I have cut out beef and all fowl from my diet for safety reasons,though. I feel that organic (or free range chickens) are actually more in danger of catching the bird flue because they are outside, and that is where the migrating birds land to rest on their journey.
    I tried growing my own, but I need to build a green house for that, because of all the deer, racoon and possum.
    Any creative ideas out there?
    Terry :)
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Cathy,
    We have eaten organic for many years. Here are some ideas to cut the costs:

1. Grow your own:
    Start an organic garden. If that requires too much for you, then try just growing one thing that you really love. How about tomatoes in a large container?

2. Join a food co-op.
    At ours, the prices for members are 10% below the public at large.

Ours has two discount programs. If you are low income or disabled you get a card showing a 10% discount on purchases.

The second is if you become a working member. When you accumulate 10 hours of work, you receive a 25% discount on purchases up to $100 of purchases.

If you combine these two discounts it's a whopping 35% off. If you are unable to do the volunteer work, perhaps a family member or friend could do it for you.

Bonus: they may be able to assign someone to shop for you.

3. Join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) in your area.
    You purchase a "share" from a farm which entitles you to weekly fresh, organic produce, in season. You pick up your share at the farm or at a designated drop-off site, usually the home of a member.

To find one you can search a national data-base of CSA's by googling Community Supported Agriculture. It's listed with USDA.

4. Be selective in your purchases.
    I find that many of the pre-packaged organic foods are expensive. Also, you must read the ingredients label, many now have "cane sugar" or "evaporated cane juice" which are just code names for "sugar", organic or not.

I steer away from most of the pre-packaged foods and just cook from scratch to a great degree. It grows on you. You can keep it simple, and still delicious. Try steaming or stir-frying veggies, serve over a variety of whole grains (brown rice, milliet, quinoa, etc.), with salmon. Can't go wrong.

A note on cleaning products:
    Ever try a steamer? I bought a Shark steamer, small, I think it was $30 at Linens and Things. It's easy to use, not heavy, and it assists greatly in cleaning, sanitizing, reducing the need to scrub or to use cleansers.

I use it in the bathroom, toilet, sink, shower, and in the kitchen on the stove, counter, refrigerator, etc.

Best wishes always. By the way, organic, homemade pumpkin pie is scrumptious!

Hopeful4
  7. BlueIndigo

BlueIndigo New Member

I eat mostly organic, but it's so expensive, I might have to start eating more regular food, too.
  8. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

it is important only that you be mindful in your food choices. That said, we all have limitations of some sort that may prevent eating ALL organic foods... I have my suspicions that it may be next to impossible still... hopefully the market will increase as people become more knowledgeable and prices will drop as organic growers and marketers become more widespread.

Hopeful4 brought up some brilliant suggestions- everyone can in some small way find a workable plan, that encompasses thier area and their budget. I love the idea of the shark steamer. I use baking powder. Good ol' Arm and Hammer (or its generic equivalent!)is amazing on sinks, tubs, tile, kitchen messes, in the laundry... At our local co-op, I can order a huge, bulk 10lb. bag and save$$. The only limitation is that it has to be rinsed off... did I mention I LOVE the steamer idea? About the salmon- great idea, but watch out for salmon that doesn't reveal a source or is vague. There are lots of "fish farms" in Alaska. Just because it is labeled Alaskan salmon doesn't mean it came from the pristine northern ocean waters. Verify that it is "Wild Alaskan Salmon". Yummmy.

Rosiebud- I think it is great that using organic chicken has caused you to make full use of every little last bit- carcass and all-- doesn't it make fabulous soup?!

dncnfngrs- I think each has it's own reason, whether it is the region, or conditions in which something is grown, natural predators difficult to control in a non-chemical way (strawberries). And in some cases, it is just that even mild amounts of pesticides/ fungicides can seriously contaminate the food so readily and easily, due to the plant's vascular system... that can't be washed off. Think celery. If you ever did the experiment in school where you put food coloring into water and placed a stalk of celery into it for 24 hours, you know. The entire stalk of celery changed color over night. That is how quickly a topical application of "surface only" pesticides can infiltrate the entire plant. If you try organic celery, you will realize quickly that you have always been able to taste the chemicals. Organic celery is crisp and fresh- the bitterness present in conventional celery is not the celery. Eww.

Hope that helps!
    Lolie
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I buy organically grown produce and 'cage free, vegie fed eggs' about 90% of the time. It tastes better, is more colorful, and studies have shown it is more healthful, has more phytonutrients than conventionally grown produce has. I think it's wonderful that it is much more readily available now. Having the organically grown foods in full view of the public's eye is slowly changing how many people think about their food and what they put into their bodies.

So many people have no clue that the soda and processed foods they consume affect how they feel and their overall health.

I don't buy organically raised meat and poultry much, because the price is prohibitive. I eat mostly vegetarian anyway, so that isn't too much of an issue for me.

We will be moving to northern CA next summer, and I hope to be able to be part of a co-op and maybe even grow some of my own produce, even if it is in containers. Living in the desert has made it hard to grow a garden, too labor intensive!

Go organic!

Peace,
    Beth.

10. shelbo

shelbo New Member

but can't cos of cost.

I try to buy organic beef but can't always afford it.

I also try to get some of my veg and fruit organic but again if I'm low on cash, I can't.

I've heard bananas and avocado needn't be organic because they have thick protective skins, but I don't know.

I can't believe food, the way God always intended, can be so expensive! There will have been a time before the introduction of intensive farming techniques and chemical pesticides/ herbicides, when all fruit and veg was organic.

I'm not sure I buy into our Government's argument that such farming methods are necessary because of an increased population!

Here I am getting on my hobby horse.....better just say that I eat organically as and when I can afford it. I do wish the price would come down a bit. Why should good nutrition be available only to the affluent!

Love Shelbo

[ advertisement ]