How many feel better on a special diet ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Jul 4, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi All,

I've been gluten free, dairy free, soy free, etc. since July 2005 and have finally noticed an improvement in my energy. YEAH !!!!!

The brain fog still comes and goes, but I am 50. LOL

Who else has changed their diet and noticed an improvement ?? How important is diet to CFIDS/FM ?

Hugs ... Marcia

2. Daisys

Daisys Member

I'm not sure if I have true gluten intolerance or just sensitive, but I get stinging joints if I eat something with flour. So, I'm avoiding all grains with gluten.
    Also, I seem to not deal well with starchy carbs in any form. I keep my carbs to about 50-75g, most days, with fruit and lots of veggies. (If I go too low, I don't feel well either.) I'm trying to avoid added chemicals too.
    So, basically, I'm on a whole foods diet. I try to get organic when possible. Carrots are not too expensive as organic and taste MUCH better.
    Also, I eat less at a time, but snack more. I eat protein everytime I eat.
    With all this, the only way I've been able to lose weight is when I get good, restful sleep. I guess I really need that Human Growth Hormone. :)
    I don't think I'm too far off from what many other FMers have found to be healthy.
  3. vbjess

vbjess New Member

I agree.. whole grains, less sugars and lots of fresh veggies and fruits are the way to go. Generally, the more colorful your plate, the healthier your meal is anyway. I try to get protein in however I can.

Sometimes breakfast is on the run, but it might be dried fruit and nuts (protein and fruits), a real *granola* bar, flavored with peanut butter, cinnamon or honey (whole grains, antioxidants), or a banana and a peice of whole grain toast.

I haven't been able to tolerate the artificial sweetners until about a month ago.. Dr. P in VA Beach has been amazing in helping me to fight this thing.

I think diet is a key component to getting well. Blood sugar disorders run in my family- I'm two weeks away from my 21st birthday, and I've been hypoglycemic for 13 years. Because of the way I eat (and try to walk as much as I can ,since I can't run with the fibro), I've been able to avoid full-blown diabetes. Now that I'm starting to get better from the fibro, my hypoglycemia is going away!!!

Eat breakfast, snack if you need to, and make healthy choices is what it really boils down to. Make whatever modifications that you need to. When I was really sick, avoiding gluten really made a difference. Now that I'm getting better, I can start bringing more and more back into my diet.

Hope this helps you!

Jess
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi All,

We are all following similar diets. I am looking forward to adding gluten back in some day. Krispy cremes : )

I have to eat every few hours too. My glucose tolerance test showed that my glucose level drops too low (65) after 3 hours. So protein in the form of meat and eggs are a must too. Vegan was not cutting it.

I forgot to add that I have been taking baby iron and a baby vitamin lately that I am sure are helping too.

Adult vitamins kill my stomach.

I guess I was seriously depleted since baby vits are doing it for me. : )

Hugs ... marcia

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Diet is very important, not just to us but to everyone with any illness or disease or who is overweight.

Face it, we put junk in, we can't expect to get health out.

Marta