How many fibro people here have handicap parking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb06, Feb 2, 2006.

1. deb06

deb06 New Member

I am wondering if I should pursue it now that I won my case- what do you all think? I can get by with out it- but sometimes I just don't go places anticipating parking and walking especially in the winter here in ND. Thanks, Luv, deb
  2. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I am not even trying to get SSI, i can't anyway.

But i do want the parking permit, especially in winter months too. I wrote a post on handicap parking permit title, i think its still up???? anyway look that up, people replied to it, i think MANY MANY of them have it.

hope this helps, i will read your replies too will be helpful to me also. I haven't picked up the form to take to my doctor yet, but i plan on it.

Take care
  3. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I went ahead and got me a handicap parking permit....I only use it when I really need it...

It's really good to have on those days it's really needed...and has been a big help to me several times.

If you worry about having some of those days...then I think you should get one....all you need to do is pick up the form from DMV...take it to your doctor...he has to aprove it...then take it back to DMV...they give you a temp. permit until the orginial comes in the mail.

Hugs
    ~Bluerose~

P.S I think you can also download the form from the DMV website....it's also a pretty small fee...I think it was like $5.00 I had to pay.[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2006]
  4. gongee

gongee New Member

Hey Deb,
    I have had handicap parking for about a year now. During one of my many visits at my primary physician, he thought it would be a good thing for me since I have so much trouble with my back, hips and knees. He gave me a form he had signed and filled out.I took it immediately to DMV. He also checked it was permanent so it will be renewed automatically. I can honestly say it has helped me out.
    You might want to discuss it with you doctor next visit.
    Take care and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheila
  5. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

When I first saw my orthopedic doctor about my hip replacement, he could not believe my RA doctor had not gotten me a handicapper. I got it right away. I dont use it unless I have to, but it helps.
  6. Time4aNap

Time4aNap New Member

I just downloaded the form from the DMV the other day, but I'm nervous to take it to the doctor. My primary doc still thinks I'm making up all of my symptoms, but he has all my records so I'd have to go to him. We'll see what happens.

Kelly
  7. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

My doc gave me the form and I had to take it to the license bureau. I don't need it all the time but when I'm in a flare its great to have.
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

especially when both my legs give out.I Ihold on to my husband and my cane or use my walker.I can't even imagine walking through a parking lot. I would definetely try to get one.If your dr doesn't give you one I would try a rheumatologist or something.Linda
  9. marw

marw New Member

I don't have one, but I very much need it, so was glad to hear thse replies of how to do it. I assume this is one you put in your car window?

What I also need, actually much more, is a Handicapped parking spot on the street close enough to my apartment bldg. Or better yet infront of it. I often will not go anywhere because I know I can't park close enough when I get home. Does anyone know how to get that done?

Thanks,
    Margaret
    [This Message was Edited on 02/02/2006]
  10. grandmasheri

grandmasheri New Member

i just told the doc the truth. when the weather is bad or i'm in a flare, the sooner i can get inside the better. he gave a script on the spot.
    Sheri
  11. marw

marw New Member

Sheri, my doc will do it, but can you get one that allows you to have your own parking spot on the street? I know some handicappe people do this...I've seen the signs in residential neighborhoods, but I figued you would have to be in a wheel-chair or sosmething. Stree parking is always at a premium in cities.
    Thanks,
    Margaret
  12. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have one and am not ashamed of it. I have gotten some funny looks but I just ignore them and I don't even notice the looks anymore. I used to kind of try to limp or look really as sick on the outside as I was feeling on the inside. This sounds terrible I know but I sometimes take my cane even when I don't feel as bad as usual. But I go to the store with the knowledge that if I have to park way out in the parking lot and then walk through the store I will be in horrific pain. I will even ride the cart in the store if I feel like I need to. Thanks for this good question. Pamela
  13. marw

marw New Member

THanks for this important post. I'm going to go for it...both the sticker for the window and the street parking spot. I just can't go through another winter like this!

Margaret
  14. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

I just went to my rhuemy dr last week i had filled out my form the top portion she wouldnt finish filling it out. She said,, i dont normally do them and then asked me if i really needed it..i looked at her in the face and said the winter months are the wrost..i wont use it everyday but,,it gets to be so hard in the cold months..that nut still wouldnt do it. i guess i have to get a sticker again from my aunt...it expires n another year. I have been using hers. It makes me so angry when the doctors dont believe us..if they had to go thu this kind of pain they would fill the form out. I have fibro and another kind of arthuritis and she says i need to exercise..I know she has had sick days cause she wouldnt have said this. i wish i kew a doctor her in michigan would fill mines out for me. Anyone know of a place that will fill the forms out for fibro patients pleaselet me know. thanks
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

so i need to drop off the form again...

i want the dr to put permanent..yes i do need more exercise yes but when my back goes out and my feet oh my!
    then have some ibs and something else going on that is causing me to well lets say loose it...embarassing...

i have testing that is getting done to figure out if it is my back or what is going on...

jodie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2006]
  16. brie

brie New Member

I have handicapp parking and without it I would not get out .These shopping centers have parking lots that exhaust you just getting to the store.I use a cane so I thank God that my Dr. approved the parking permit. All I did was ask my family Dr. and she gave me a script for it .So if you are having troubles , you really should try. It will improve your life alot.God bless.
  17. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I, too, have a handicap placard. First a temporary one, and now I have a permanent one. I didn't have any problem getting my doctor to authorize me to have one.

I use it most of the time. So far I have never had anyone make negative comments to me when I use it like others here have.

Ellen
  18. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I just spent 35 min. looking of the handicap form to take to my doctor, Idaho DMV does not have it on-line or I can't find it. I looked at over at site I found nothing about handicap paperwork or fee-nothing. I'll call them and have they mail me one.

I just picked one up at their office.[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2006]
  19. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

and it expired. i have to get a new one. I used it mostly for work. We have this huge open parking lot and in the winter it is windy and cold so by the time I get to the door all my muscles are in a spasm and this is how I would start a day. So the closer the better. I did get looks and questions even from people that know me or work with me. I do feel bad sometimes thinking that maybe if I take the spot there will be someone much worse than I am, like in a wheelchair and they will not have a space. But guilt is part of who I ma, I guess. When I had it it was a big help, it expired a month ago and I have been too sick to take care of it.
  20. deb06

deb06 New Member

Thanx everyone for the replies. I am going to begin pursuing it for the bad days- most days I have to leave the house in the winter is a bad day- so I will let you know how it goes. I also have plantars fashiitis, so that adds to the pain. Deb