How many find live harder due to both CFS and FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I know that there are theories that CFS and FMS are the same illness, but we are proof positive here on this board that some have FMS alone and some have CFS alone and some have both, like me. When the symptoms of FMS were primary for me life was not as bad as it is now that CFS has gotten worse. Don't misunderstand, FMS was never a picnic. However, it was manageable. Now the fatigue and malaise of CFS have gotten overwhelming and it makes me wonder if I have some underlying virus might be wreaking havoc with my system.

I don't have any known food allergies. I stay away from sugar and processed foods as much as possible.

I'd love to hear from those of you who have both CFS and FMS and how you are managing these illnesses?

Thanks, Lolalee
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

It is the same for me

I was diagnosed with FMS in 1992 and it was manageable. I was still able to work, just not exercise like I used to

Then I got CFS around 2001 and it put me down and made my life a living nightmare

The FMS has also gotten worse for me
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Lolalee - It was the reverse for me; first CFS for 11 years, then FM added. I can't complain about FM as it's not as bad as many here and seems to occur mainly with a flare of CFS but it's no fun either as you said.

So yes, it's harder now. At the same time, I no longer blame myself, thinking I was somehow malingering or not treating depression like I occasionally would when I "just" had CFS. The docs gave me that idea and sometimes I bought it. And thank you for reminding me that I need to grab hold of my diet again.

Marta
  4. jole

jole Member

I think many of us do have both, with just the Dx of FM because many docs think they are the same thing. I disagree and feel I have worse because some days the fatigue is much worse than the pain, and vice versa. Which is worse? I don't really know, but the fatigue can be just as debilitating, if not worse than the pain. some days I can work through the pain but not the fatigue.

Hate them both!! But I do see more little things to be thankful for than ever before.

Friends - Jole
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I think I have had CFS since I was a young teenager.I had terrible periods and pain and fatigue with that for years.

I got FM or was DX with it about 7 years ago. Also DX with menopause and CFS at the same time.

I think one leads to the other sooner or later.
    I just live day to day dealing with what ever is worse each day. sometimes these dd's manage me I'm sorry to say.

I am trying to stay away from sugar and processed foods now also.I try to get real true rest more.Drink lots of water.I also gave up all caffeine cokes and such.
    I drink iced herbal teas and I am trying to give up even sweeteners now. I still do not feel any better but I know it has to be better for me.