How many go back to bed during the day?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 12, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I don't sleep well at night as I know most of you can relate..I awake very early of the morning usually around 4 or 5 am..I go ahead and get up and get a few chores done, may have some cereal and coffee then around 9 I feel sleepy and often go back to bed for a 30 min. nap and then again in the afternoon..

I have tried staying up all day, hoping this would help with my sleep at night but it doesn't so I usually take my naps if I feel sleepy..

There are some days I can't take my day naps and by 6 pm I am fast asleep but only for about 2 hrs then its up and down all night..Oh, how good a good nights sleep would be..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I used to HAVE to take naps, I had no choice.

I dont nap so much anymore, I still dont sleep well but for some reason I manage without the naps.

However any time I need a nap, I take one.

I've never found staying up all day helps me sleep better, it doesnt, so enjoy your naps.

love
    Rosie
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Yes,.. I need my naps each day.

Usually I get up at 6 am and last fairly well till about noon. I lay down and nap for about 2 hrs then go agin till about 9pm.
    When and IF I skip my afternoon nap,.. my brain fog is horrible,I'm miserably tired and drop dead by 6pm.

I hate it when people comment about my naps too.
    I don't know why I get so bothered by someone saying
    "what the heck are you sleeping in the middle of the day for?'
    (so little do they know)
    myself,..?? I don't see any harm in it.

Hugs
    Tandy
  4. rainbowgc

rainbowgc New Member

I ususally take a nap everyday. I used to feel guilty about it but no more. I have accepted that I have a disease and I fineally don't care what other people think about it. I am weak and need a nap. So I take one!
    Erika
  5. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

Im kind of up and down. usually up early and then a 1-2 hr nap at 10. I dont tell to many people cause i remember when i was well and working so hard and i would here a person talk about taking a nap! What for, i couldnt imagine. i think it makes me feel like im a lazy person, which drove me crazy to be around lazy people. im getting better about realizing, IM SICK. not lazy. i need a nap!!!

I think it helps cause im so much better at nights then. I dont want to go to bed. I dont want to start the whole process of the pain and aches trying to get up in the am.

Have a Good Day!!
    deb
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Many nights no sleep. Most nights, one to three hours.

Now that I'm retired I just sleep as necessary; sometimes most of the day.

All that stuff about no naps, a regular schedule, etc. didn't work for me. I don't think that stuff applies to us.
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi:

I work mornings, and need a nap by about 3:30 every afternoon. I used to feel guilty about it, especially since my husband is working during my nap time, but I finally realized that I am more productive and feel much better when I nap. I almost always go to sleep for anywhere from an hour to two hours. Then I feel able to get dinner ready and do some work around the house.

Between sleeping better at nights now and a daily nap, I am feeling better.

Ellen
  8. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Up at 4, do stuff, till I'm sleepy, then back to bed. About 30 min to and hour. Then back up. I can usually tell waking up, if I will need yet another dose of sleep. If I don't take a nap around 2 pm, I'm in bed by 7:30, exhausted!
    but can't sleep. Doctor just put me on Elavil...seems to be helping some, only been on it for a week. 1 tab for a week, then up it to 2. I don't have the morning hangover, and feel alittle more rested in the morning. Like I can stay up in that moring period alittle longer.
    I thought for some reason that the elavil was suppose to knock me out, but it didnt'. Just made it easier to fall asleep.( That's what I get for thinking!)
    I know I don't post much,(fatigue) but I am thankful this site is here, as I tend to forget I'm not going through this alone, and that what I experience everyday, others are too. That in it's self is a big help. It's weird...that the simplest things, like this routine, I thought I was alone in. I'm really not. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Sleepy Hug..
    KathyZ
  9. lin-z

lin-z New Member

That I am going to be in "the horizontal position"for a few. I do love my naps but I also get so stiff from staying in one position too long that its a catch 22. It feels so good laying down and sooo bad getting up. I try not to nap for more than 45 min.

Lindsey
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you for your replies..
    I and the subject of guilt..Yes, I feel guilty and lazy over my naps but the rest is far more beneficial to me than most meds..

The weekends are hard because when husband is home and family I try to stay up but sometimes I just have to go lie down and I get the look..The one that has instilled the guilt..

Don't know why by body needs the rests sometimes I get to thinking I am just lazy and out of shape..How many of you hear, well if you would excerise then you wouldn't be tired..

Sure exercise is good but my house work, grocery shopping, cooking and what errands I have to do is about all the exercise I can do..I am going to try the water class at the rec center and see if it helps or hinders..

Thanks all,
    greatgran
  11. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

When I'm doing like your post talks about I think I'm doing well.lol I don't sleep at night well either and I'm up at 5 in the morning-laying back down by 10 or 11 and then back up again. That's all "normal" for me. If I'm getting household chores done I'm doing realy realy good:)lol
    Take care,
    Dee50
  12. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I almost always take naps during the day.

I have also tred staying awake thinking that because I was sleeping during the day that was why I wasn't sleeping at night.

Soon after I found that I still had trouble sleeping at night even if I could make it through the day without sleeping.
  13. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

Naps are my friend LOL

I have to take naps everyday. I babysit a friend's little girl, so I nap when she does. I fI don't have her, I still nap.
    I f I don't get a nap in during the day, I am exhausted.... everyone pretty much knows that I have to get a nap everyday, so no problems there.
    I don't care what others think, I know what makes me feel better....so I do it.
  14. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Some weeks, I need to nap every day. And then there are some weeks where I will only need to take one or two naps. Occassionally, I will go a whole week without a nap, but not very often.

I take naps if my eyes are rolling back in my head, good sign that I need to rest, so I do it.

I am an Adviloholic (which is very bad)!!! Ususally, I will take these when I have something to do or somewhere to go to help me to feel better and get thru the day.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Since I work full time I never get to take a nap! Most Sunday mornings I get up, read the paper and have some coffee, then go back to bed until noon! I just love Sunday!

On Saturday if I get really tired I try to do something to keep myself awake. I find if I have too many days with a good nap I can't sleep that night.

I used to have a list of things to say when you get caught sleeping at work. The only one I can remember is to raise your head and say, Thank you Jesus, Amen.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  16. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Greatgran,
    If I take a nap it is usually after dinner when I just have gotten worn out. I don't take day time naps and I get up and get dressed everyday and make the bed, wash up, do what I need to do. I have FMS, diabetes, hypothyroidism, etc.

I normally sleep pretty well since I have been on the CoQ10, but last night was a bad night for me due to gastoparesis/GERD. I ate popcorn late and suffered for that most of the night.

Hugs,
    Faye
  17. BuMom

BuMom New Member

I don't sleep well at night . I will get up at 7:00 to take my son to school (in a semi-zombie state) then return home and go back to bed for another hr. or two. I just finished a large remodeling project which was a very stressful nightmare. The workers would show up early, I'd let them in and make attempts to go back to sleep with earplugs in. They frequently needed me and I didn't want them to know that I was sleeping at that late hr.
    When my housekeeper comes(I hate those days). and she is all over the house, barging in closed doors and turning on the vacuum. Sometimes in desperation I'll go down to the garage(the only quiet,dark place), and nap in my car with it's really comfortable seats.I too have the guilt and usually don't let my family know that I sleep this much.
  18. pamsue

pamsue New Member

I don't sleep well at night either greatgran. So yes, most of the time I nap and feel much better for it. I did not do that today and I am very craby and my eyes are like slits, should have taken one!!

hugs,
    pamsue
  19. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have to take an afternoon nap too. I usually get up at 6:30 to get my kids ready for school. I stay up till about 1:00 and then take a two hour nap. I don`t usually go to be till about midnight.
  20. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

...who goes back to bed. I wake up around 6 am, get up, dressed, have breakfast and watch tv.
    About 2-3 times per week I know by 8 am that I am not going to make it, so I lie down and usually sleep til noon.
    Often I will then have a one hour nap in the afternoon.
    And, oh yes I usually sleep about 7 hours at night.

I have no recollection of when the LAST time was that I felt like I've slept! It's been more than 15 years.

Blessings.. Gwen