How many had insomnia before getting really ill?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, May 1, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I started suffering from insomnia and anxiety off and on a few years ago. It was somewhat of a nuisance but could still function normally.

About a year before I started getting the pain is when the insomnia got really bad and I could fall asleep but always woke up around 3a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep.

Then I couldn't even fall asleep, it was a few months of that and I started getting the muscle pain (I remember the exact day), and subsequently the FM diagnosis.

Has insomnia been a precursor for others, or did the symptoms hit you all at once.

Thanks for your replies.

Sue in Ontario
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have CFIDS, not FM. I started getting sick roughly 20 years ago and middle of the night insomnia was one of the first symptoms. It went from there to chronic sore throats, digestive disturbances of all types, weakness and then about 7 years ago the bone-crushing fatigue after exertion hit.

Have you had your cortisol levels tested? Middle of the night insomnia is sometimes caused by cortisol levels spiking when they shouldn't. My cortisol was high, many others on this board have low levels, so there's no way to know without testing.

You should probably have an adrenal saliva index test. It will check your adrenals and cortisol levels. Naturopathic doctors can get it done for you and also there's a place called Clymer Healing Research in Pennsylvania, they're on the internet. I did it through them via mail and e-mail, etc.

If your levels are high, there's something called Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which works very well to lower them, it helped me a great deal and also helped with sleep.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, sorry, I get carried away -

Good luck --

Mary
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I essentially got sick in 1998. I had severe GI trouble start and they gave me Cipro initially (suspected giardia or something similar). I basically had a bad CNS reaction to the Cipro, had horrible anxiety and insomnia while I was on it. There were, perhaps, some residual insomnia/anxiety and I got sick several weeks later.

There are other corrlations and factors to look at but I did have high anxiety before the main downturn.
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

yes, I have had insomnia and sleep apnea for quite awhile but have only had the severe pain for a little over a year.
    My diagnosis (one of them!) is FMS.

I know I always feel worse when my sleep is poor.
  6. place

place New Member

I will not sleep the night before I get some kind of sinus infection. I get them so often, I know if I am tossing and turn more than ussual, the very next day I will have a sinus infection.
  7. Edna

Edna New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to this board - I usually go to the Diabetes board but I have CFS/Fibro also so thought I'd pop in.

I would either go to bed at a normal time and wake up at 3 in the morning or I couldn't go to sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning.

Over the last year I've gotten a lot better and now I USUALLY go to sleep at a normal time and will sleep at least 6 hours straight through. That is amazing.

My insomnia seemed to come at the same time my CFS came. I had Fibro a long time before I realized what it was. 10 years ago the doctors in the town where I am was living at the time didn't know what CFS/Fibro was.

I was told by a lot of doctors in the KC, Emporia, Lawrence and Topeka that it was all in my head etc. Some of them were down right rude.

Don't you all think we end up with lots of different things wrong with us?

Thanks for letting me share. Edna
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2006]
  8. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Really bad. It started about three years ago and I attributed it to perimenopause. Maybe it has a good deal to do with why I'm sick.
  9. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

when I first became ill, I could sleep 16 hours a day. But I could get around better. Then about five years ago I developed severe insomnia, I also noticed that I was not functioning as well as I did before the insomnia. I think that deep sleep is the key to helping me to be able to do more.
  10. Nikki

Nikki Member

I've had insomnia as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, I just thought this was normal. Couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep.

Also, have always had very vivid dreams. I'm always working hard to talk, walk, see, solve a problem, etc.
    Also, had nightmares when I was a child and walked in my sleep. Still have nightmares and walk in my sleep every now and then. (I had a good childhood with loving parents.) I tell my DH to wake me up if I'm talking in my sleep . . . I'm trying to scream but can't.

I truly believe this has definitely contributed to my FMS and fatigue, but don't know how to solve the problem. I'm taking meds to help me fall asleep and most nights I can wake up and get back to sleep . . . but still the dreams, and I'm exhausted in the a.m.

Hugs,
    Sharon

11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for all of your replies.

Don't you think that if we could get into stage 4 sleep it would probably cure most of our symptoms.

Maybe the Xyrem will prove to be an important drug in helping us, as Julie suggests.

Sue in Ontario
  12. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Insomnia for about 13 years before getting CFIDS. How can something as natural as sleep be so difficult to obtain?

I often think if I could just sleep like everyone else I would heal and be disabled no longer. It could be just that simple!

Love, **LdyM
  13. jake123

jake123 New Member

Adjusting to a new marriage and some insecurity issues, mean stepchildren not cooperating (trying to sabotage my marriage), trying to get my two enrolled in school and ready for new school year.
    I would wait till husband was asleep and go out to patio and cry. I did this for several years over different issues. Prior to this I walked five miles every day 7 days a week. I was very fit. I was just unhappy and it turned to insomnia and then I had a hysterectomy. Biggest problem has been migraines.
    Pain started about 1992. Diagnosed with FM, polymyositis, and RSD.
  14. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My boyfriends had to have me home by ten-If we went to a movie,I'd fall asleep.Linda