How Many Have Anxiety and Depression With This DD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Mar 11, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I might have posted this before but can't find it so I was wondering how many suffer with anxiety/depression with this darn DD if so how do you treat and deal with it. I know if I could get control of my anxiety /depression the DD would be so much easier to handle .. I have tried many AD's no luck, if it wasn't for xanax I would probably be more housebound than I am.

Does anyone have an answer as to why anxiety/depression has to be a part of this.

God Bless,
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

everybody had depression/anxiety.

Vitamin D3 has helped me too. Also meds, therapy and a 12 step program. Am currently
    trying the Vitamin B12 patch which makes me a little more cheerful.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

They are a part of this for two big is that having these illnesses is totally depressing in itself - having to give up most of the things that were enjoyable in life and for many of us having to stop working, being isolated, etc is very depressing....and not being able to work is also financially stressful, which can lead to anxiety, etc....I am not telling you anything new, though....the other reason that depression and anxiety ofter goes hand in hand with these DDs is that many of the same brian chemicals are involved.....serotonin, for exp is one that has some control over sleep, appetite, pain, depression, anxiety, if it's low and that is causing us to not sleep well and to be in a lot of pain (two of the DD symptoms), being low in it may also be causing depression and other issues....hope that makes sense
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am taking my vit. D3 haven't noticed any improvement as far as depression goes, going to up my dose again and hope the bad nausea doesn't return.

Thanks and God Bless,
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

What is the 12 step program? Please let me know.

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Your explanation makes so much sence , I do wish I could take an AD that would help with my moods, sleep and to let a little sunshine in my soul..

Thanks for your reply, hope you are doing well,
  7. annwinter

annwinter New Member

it's very common for cfs folks to have anxiety and depression.
    1. because a chronic illness can be depressing
    2. because of physiological reasons--cfs affects so many of our body's systems, including the nervous system.

i had panic attacks and generalized anxiety for many many years; it was my most prominent symptom in addition to fatigue. for me, it was important to see a psychopharm or psychiatrist who could find the right anti-anxiety med for me. i take klonopin as well as buspar. buspar is long-acting so i'm always "covered". and the klonopin i use as needed. when i only took klonopin, i could still have panic attacks. the buspar keeps me stable except when there are unforeseen stressors/events. then i take klonopin.

xanax can be addictive; docs don't like to prescribe it. you deserve a medication you can take whenever you need it. either ask your doc for a different med, or see a psychopharm/psychiatrist.

about depression... first i took prozac, which worked well for me. antidepressants help with cfs, too, not just with depression. i noticed my body felt so much better physically on the antidepressant. then the prozac "pooped out" as they say (after 10 years). now i take effexor. it's also helping me. there are many antidepressants out there and the job of a psychopharm/psychiatrist is to find the right fit for you--to find a medication that works for your symptoms and gives you the best outcome with the fewest side effects; dosage is very important. this is what the professionals are trained in doing.

i know exactly what you mean about how much better you could cope with the illness without the anxiety. absolutely!!! you deserve to live without that anxiety. and it can be done.

best of luck to you!
  8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

that my explanation made sense...have been having so much brain fog lately, I am never quite sure if I am being clear

i hope that you can find something that helps you to feel better[This Message was Edited on 03/12/2009]
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doc wanted me to take 50,000 units a week, I tried it and got so nauseated . I now take 2000 units of vit. d3 daily, hasn't helped my anxiey/depression but maybe I am not taking enough. I have read that vit. D can be toxic but I am sure it would have to be a hugh amount.
    I do plan to get out in the sun , if it ever shines.

By the way What IS THE 12 STEP PROGRAM , Jamin I think you are trying it..

Thanks to all replies and God Bless,
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Not everyone with CFS and/or FM have depression and/or anxiety.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Wasn't Tiger Lily the name of Flash Gordon's girlfriend? Or was it his arch nemesis? My mother
    had Tiger Lilies when I was a kid. They were orange with black spots. (But shouldn't they
    have had stripes?)

Glad to hear not all of us have depression/anxiety. I want to be one of those people

Haha. No, I don't. I want to be well.

Great Gran, the 12 steps were developed in the AA program back in the 30s. Today there are
    many more groups such as Emotions Anonymous for people w/ emotional problems.

Briefly the meetings are 90 min. long. There are no professionals present. There are rules (like
    don't interrupt) so it is not just a gab fest. People share their experience of what is was like
    before the program, what happened, and what is going on now.

There is no fee, but people contribute a modest amount to pay the rent and other expenses like
    coffee, phone bill, etc.

You can search on line and see if there is a meeting near you. If not, you can talk to the home
    office, obtain literature, etc.

12. jesfms

jesfms New Member

i have alot of anxiety...when i sleep better i can handle daily life better...i take ambien for helps but doesn't always work
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Snog, you said that you didn't like the grp you attended and your reason is certainly vaild, but I would say to you and others who might consider attending one, that there is a big, big difference from one grp to the next....the people attending, the format, the things that are allowed/discouraged (including cross talk, negativity, etc), whether they are led by a counselor or lay person or the group as a whole, the general focus, etc.....some groups are really not helpful, some can even be harmful, but others can be wonderful for support, education, accountability towards a goal, etc. If you are truly interested in going to a grp, don't give up after one grp.
  14. dannybex

dannybex Member

I would highly suggest getting your 25-d test before changing or upping the dose. Yes, many of us can be low in it, but it can easily build up and we can end up having levels that are too high, which can cause calcification of the arteries and other organs as too much vitamin d pulls calcium from the bones.

I think the recommended normal range for vitamin d levels (25-d) are 35-50...I think.

Anxiety and/or irritability and hypersensitivities can be due to a candida or other fungal infection. Many, many people report that their anxiety levels go way down when they treat a candida or fungal issue.

And of course diet can play a big many 'foods' have hidden MSG, and of course artificial colors, flavors and fake sugars like aspartame (Nutrasweet) may be major players in anxiety and depression issues.

And we naturally can get depressed from being so sick for so long. For me, that comes and goes. I remember Teitelbaum saying that the difference between clinically depressed patients and CFS/FM patients in general was that depressed patients feel like sleeping all the time, and generally don't feel like doing much of anything, while CFS/FM patients feel tired, but CAN'T sleep, and want desperately to get back to doing everything...and then end up doing too much -- pushing and then crashing.

just my two cents!