How Many Have Anxiety/Depression with CFS and How do you Deal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 21, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

At times I feel so hopeless. I have had this darn DD or whatever for 8 years and never had a good week. I don't mean to have a pity party but seems I have tried and seem many doctors and no help. Oh, I use to have a good day or two every now and then but lately I don't have that. Then I become so anxious and depressed. I want to do but feel to bad to do and everyday seems different with symptoms. I get so confused and upset, my family needs me but can't depend on me cause I never know from one day to the next. Does this sound like CFS , I am in bed more than out that seems to be my comfort zone. I do still try to get out when I can but its becoming to much of an effort, even to take a bath. Mornings are my worse time seems late evenings are better and I get a glimmer of hope only to be so disappointed come morning.

My symptoms are from headaches, nausea, body aches, fatigue, weird head feelings,off balance, feeling of dizziness, can't seem to remember or think at times, feeling of losing my mind, and just feel horrible in general
    can anyone relate to this? Now I have the fear of getting old and dying, losing a loved one and on and on..I am crazy.

My little greatgrans need me as they only have my daughter and she is dealing not only with health issues but so many problems. Sorry, off the subject.

Needed to vent and some input.
    Thanks and God Bless,
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Don't feel bad about venting, you are going through a lot. Do you have anyone to talk to about this. Maybe a counselor who helps people with chronic illnesses. That was very helpful for me. Can you get out to participate in some kind of group for our DD.

You have seen a lot of doctors. Have any suggested that you take something for your anxiety? While anxiety may not be the reason for you not feeling well, it can not be helping.

Sometimes anxiety starts as situational but may get to the point where it is a never ending cycle and you may need medications to break it.

With FM our nervous systems are in overdrive and we are constantly in a flight or fight mode which causes anxiety.

Our DD is certainly an anxiety provoking situation. I think a lot of people on this board are dealing with the same thing.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

3. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

CFS puts you through A LOT. I've been sick a year, and it feels like this is getting worse (e.g. 3 months ago I felt better). CFS affects everything. Then we have to apply for disability and deal with that stress...

I have the same symptoms as you. Do you have low blood pressure? I've noticed mine is now constantly low, and I just learned I have adrenal issues (you've had CFS for 8 years so forgive me if I'm saying things you already know).

I feel the same emptional feelings as you too-- I get a good day and feel happy, then on the bad days (which seems like everyday now), I get so depressed, panicky and anxious. I'm sick of the rollercoaster, especially when the bad days dominate! Did you say in previous posts that you take Xanax? Does that help? Have you tried antidepressants? If you did, what was your experience?

I would also second the suggestion of therapy. My therapist has been a godsend. CFS affects so much of our lives that we really need someone to talk to. Sometimes family and friends mean well but they aren't therapists.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have anyone to talk to that understands or wants to listen to complaints. I have seen counselors but haven't found them helpful as I haven't found one that understands cfs. I live in a small town and there is no one that I know of that has the dd so no local support group or a friend. Well, there are a few who say they have fibro but work, walk and just complain of aches .

I do take xanax for anxiety but when I have the bad "spells" they help but very little.

Do I push and try to keep going and make myself do, I just don't want to stay in the house and in bed but feel to bad to try to do much . Then when I have a good day I do so enjoy just a few
    hours of feeling normal. Even the doctor I see is clueless.

Thanks and God Bless,
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you , sorry you have this darn dd. I think I could cope with the dd if the anxiety. depression etc would stay away. Yes, I am so sick of the rollercoaster and I do take xanax which takes the edge off. I feel I need an antidepressant but have tried many and can't handle the side effectx.

I do wish I could find a good therapist. I would have to drive over an hour to see a one and I don't feel I am up to it. I have seen about 3 therapist and not one understands on knows much about cfs. They just want to address my depression /anxeity as like doctors I have seen, they think is just anxiety /depression. I am so glad you have found a good therapist .

Take care and thanks,
  6. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

GG- I'm interested in comparing notes! What antidepressants have you tried?

I'm on Ativan now which helps "turn the volume down" on the world. I was started on it almost by accident, just to control initial anxiety caused by the Cymbalta. But I've found it helpful even at a low dose.

So, I tried Cymbalta, just for 2 weeks. It did help my mood a little, but I felt jittery and had heart racing (which I already had issues with). Then I stopped. I went straight to Zoloft, thinking it would work since I was on it 6 years ago with great success. I was on it for 3 weeks but it made me incredibly sleep during the day (not a good combo with fatigue), but I at the same time made my insomnia worse.

So I decided to not try anything else for now. My psychiatrist wants me to either go on something like Cymbalta (Pristiq), or go another route with a tricyclic. But I'm gun shy...
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It sounds to me like your depression/anxiety is starting to take over - so do you need to push yourself, in my opinion, yes. Now that does not mean, to push yourself physically, to exhaust yourself at all. I only mean that you need to take steps to start feeling better or you're going to be stuck.
    You're clearly unhappy. Feeling way down can have severe effects on our bodies and make us feel physically worse. No motivation to do anything - a biggie. I have that myself. ZERO motivation to do anything.

To me, it does not matter if a therapist has experience with CFS- you need a therapist who can help with either a chronic illness or depression/anxiety with physical limitations. I would start there. I think that may help you. You have to start somewhere.

What kind of side effects have you had on anti-depressants? I've had a few myself and am now taking something that is good for people that have had just that. It is often given for people that are bi-polar although I am not. Lamictal. It has helped remarkably. I was crying at the drop of a hat, feeling hopeless etc. I have found that I am not looking into the future with such dread...and believe me I have tons of worry ahead for the future (which I won't get into). Maybe you could find a Psychiatrist who is very knowledgable about medications, people who have numerous side effects and see what he/she can offer.

It's normal not to feel "up to it" to drive to see a therapist because you probably don't feel "up to" anything. Take a baby step for yourself and do something for you. I think you need to. If not a therapist, try the psychiatrist, please.

The emotional part of these DD (fibro and CFS) are a lot to deal with. When it becomes too much to bear or starts taking over, it's time to get help - and keep searching until you get what you need!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2009]
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have had problems with ADs, especially the SSNRI's. I do fine on the SSRIs except they would lose effect after a while.

Lamictal has been a lifesaver. I would strongly urge you to talk to your doctor about this. If I wasn't taking an AD, I might be here today. Adding the Lamictal has been a miracle.

Janalyn, thank you for bringing this up.

Greatgran, you have a lot of friends here giving you great advice. We are all rooting for you.

9. hensue

hensue New Member

I go through a lot of feelings that you have. Like what am i going to do if something happens to my husband? Who will understand and know what is going on with me. It will make you crazy sometimes this DD will get the best of us.

I know you want to be there for everyone we all do. So if misery loves company i am with you some days.

You hang in there maybe if your like me spring brings pollen but warmer days help me and the way I feel. Granted I only have fibromyalgia and high blood pressure and I think your health problems are a little more serious. We are all here for you so when you get ready vent all you want ok!
    God Bless
  10. GKTLA

GKTLA New Member

Hi Greatgran-

All the responses to your post are very good. I do just want to share a little tidbit from my life that may help you to feel better about who you are. The fact that you care enough about your kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc., says much about you. Even if you only get to see them and spend time with them in your home, I'm sure you have a positive impact on their life in ways you don't know about. Don't let your guilt from your current life situation keep you away from the little ones. Just being around you and being able to spend time together is more important than whether or not you can take them shopping, etc.

My mother is in good health. She is 73 and has always been an active, healthy woman. She shuttled me all over the place to piano, friends, sports, etc. She cooked meals for us every night and did all the cleaning. However, she was a very unhappy person and probably shouldn't have had children. Her issues are vast and deep and she is totally unapproachable regarding negative things having to do with her.

My point is that I would rather have had a mother/grandmom who is a good person (which you seem to be!) than one that could run around doing everything and take me places.

I'm not explaining this well. But please spend as much time as you can with the little ones even if you are in bed so that they can share in your good spirit.
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have tried most of the AD's lets see, Celexa, I felt so weird in the head and couldn't walk straight, didn't help, Paxil, all I could do was yawn and had a choking sensation, Lexapro I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest and bees going off in my head, Cymbalta,
    the crazy head feeling and felt so nervous, Luvox don't remember about that one, Trazadone, couldn't take the dizziness, Wellburtin made my anxiety so much worse. Zoloft, out of all the AD's this one had the least side effects but I yawned 24/7 then on the 10th day I had tremors.
    So now I am so scared of the darn AD's but I do know I have to do something. I feel if I could just get rid of the depression/anxiety I could handle things so much better. I am becoming agoraphobic again. The xanax has always worked but I am not sure if I need to increase my dose cause they are just taking the edge off. Oh, I did try Elavil and saw spiders jump of the wall.

With all the Ad's the doc started me out on a very small dose then cut it in half and was to increase as the side effects left, such as zoloft I was to half a 25 mg. even with the small dose I still had the side effects. Now I am so scared to even try them.

I have seen a psychiatrist and therapist off and on over the years and for some reason it never seemed to help. I know I have to do something cause this just isn't going away like it once did. I would have bad and good days now seems there are no good days.

Thank you so much for your reply and would love to compare notes with you. Not sure if we can do this or not but my email is

Thanks and God Bless,
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I feel the depression/anxiety is getting to me. I listed the AD's I have tried in the above post. I haven't been able to drive in years outside of my town due to the cfs and a lot of anxiety.

I am so happy for you that you have found something that works for you. Yes, its time I tried
    something but I am so afraid of meds since I had all the side effects. My doc has tried natural
    supplements but they haven't helped.

I may up my xanax until I can find a therapist.

Hope your medicine continues to help you,

God Bless,