HOW MANY HAVE BEEN IN A FLARE, DURING MAY/ JUNE??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jun 16, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am curious, as it seems that more of us have been expiencing flares lately. How long have they lasted? Has anyone been in a flare, then it settled down, only to rear it's ugly head again. How do you decide when the flare becomes a "normal" progression with our DD's.

Of course, this sample will not be scientific unless compared to previous months. Maybe I should post this at the beginning of each month. However to be more positive maybe I should see how many are NOT having flares?

Thanks,

GA
  2. lvdoxies

lvdoxies New Member

I always have flares at this time of the yr. I was told this is associated with allergies !! but that it's still in research!! lvdoxies
  3. daytrippersoul

daytrippersoul New Member

Could it possibly be stress related? I know I FLARE UP like mad crazy when I stress and for the past few months I have had ALOT of stress and here comes my FLARE!

Have you had any recent stresses in you life (excluding the FM/CFS)lately??

Maybe that could be the cause. Having this DD is stress enough in itself!

ALL U NEED IS LOVE.

Daytrip.
  4. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

:raises hand: me! I was doing fairly well for several months, but I've really crashed in the last four weeks. My pain has been way up, it's been much harder to sleep, to make it through the day without needing to collapse several times. I'm not sure what's triggered it - the weather has been particularly bad this year, with heat and storms, but overall I'm just really dragging and having a hard time getting it behind me again. Really annoying.
  5. lvdoxies

lvdoxies New Member

Alot of stress !! A death in the family he was to young to go the weather..... work.......trying to function and act like nothing is wrong!! and my sister had a heart attack we almost lost her!! thats why they tried cymbalta!
    I'm not sure how this is working yet but I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight!!! lvd
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

seemed to coincide with a virus I picked up. It has been waxing and waning for almost four months. Plus the weather here has been miserable as most of the midwest.

However, my costochonitis even before this DD, would always act up in the sping/fall.

Usually, the fatigue is my main symptom. The pain is always there but now the pain, which for me is more like aching and throbbing as I have never had sharp pain. will sometimes hit an 8+.

In the last two months the pain will last for 4-5 days which of course makes me even more exhausted. Even my RLS has started waking me up at night and I have not had that in years.

When I saw my rheumy for this, she gave me darvocet, which will only last maybe an hour and a half. It does not even make me sleepy.

However, I am talking to my rheumy about starting mirapix.

I just keep thinking this is too long for a flare and wonder if this DD is getting worse.

As for stress, I don't think so, however the pain is stressful. In fact I have had several exciting things happen within this time period. I know there is eustress but I am not sure if it is that.

Distress is the most commonly-referred to type of stress, having negative implications, whereas eustress is a positive form of stress, usually related to desirable events in person's life. Both can be equally taxing on the body, and are cumulative in nature, depending on a person's way of adapting to a change that has caused it.

Maybe all of the above or none of the above?

GA[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  7. charming

charming New Member

I been in flare for at least April because I had a ugly bladder infection and then in May I was in flare because of a head cold and just this month my lower back been bothering me but I had sex so I know why that bother me:)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  8. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I have had them all spring. It seems like just another continuation of our winters here in WA state. Last week though was a humdinger! Wowza. I was on med's 24-7 and around the clock. Bad week.

You asked how do with decide when the flare becomes a normal progression with our dd's? Of course it is different for all of us but I have what I call my "baseline fibro" and then I have "flares". It took me a few years to figure out what was baseline for me. It seems once I did that, I got a handle on what I could do and what I couldn't do anymore.
  9. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

i've been in an almost constant once since December. It let up for about 4 days, then came right back again. aaaahhhhh!!!
    I hope this is not a normal progression. I'm not sure i could take this for life, and if this is normal, how much worse would a flare be??? i shudder to think about it.[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know that my flare has been way above normal. However you piqued my interest.

Do you chart your baseline or do you write it down to get a sense of what your baseline is? Perhaps, like myself it is intuition however, it does not take a lot of intuition to know I am in more pain than I have ever been! LOL.

Thanks!!

GA
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  11. Heald

Heald New Member

I'm curious as to what you guys call "Flare." With fibro, I experience so many things til I'm trying to determine the difference.

I just went through a couple of weeks with a sinus infection.

I have pain every day. However, there are times when it seems that every trigger point is pronounced with fatigue. Could this be considered as a flare up?
  12. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

The basic definition of a "flare" to me is a period of time (days, weeks, etc) where your symptoms are significantly worse then your 'average' fibro pain. For example, I was doing well for several months, with pain ranging from a 4-6, and was able to have a few hours of fairly normal activity during the day, along with periods where I had to rest, but the pain wasn't overwhelming.

During the "flare" period, my pain never goes below a 6, even with good meds, I am lucky to struggle through less then an hour of moderate activity per day, and the bulk of the day is spent trying to rest, distract myself from the pain, and contemplating whether I have the energy to stand up.
  13. count me in and I am about to lose my mind .
  14. Luvstrwberry

Luvstrwberry New Member

WEIRD I SAW THIS POSTING TODAY. I AM EXPERIENCING ALOT OF PAIN LATELY, "ALOT OF PAIN" LIKE WE EVER REALLY GET A BREAK ANYWAY. I WENT FROM VICODIN TO LORTAB AND IT STILL DOESN'T TAKE THE EDGE COMPLETELY OFF. SAD TO SAY I DRINK ALOT MORE LATELY THAN BEFORE, SOMETIMES JUST TO PASS OUT AS TO NOT DEAL WITH THE PAIN SO MUCH.

TAKING LYRICA AND LEXAPRO, UPSET ABOUT THE WEIGHT GAIN AND MUSCLE RELAXERS JUST SEEM TO ADD TO IT. THIS IS MY FIRST EVER POSTING.
  15. momof27

momof27 New Member

GOOD IDEA
  16. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Here also. Was in an awful flare for weeks and decided to try the elimination diet, and I can't believe it but I am feeling better. I was addicted to aspartame and cut it out completely and I think that is helping the most. Still need my heating pads and pacing myself, but don't have that awful not able to function flu feeling.

Looking forward to better weather though, we have had rain everyday since last Friday :(
  17. Heald

Heald New Member

butterfly83

Thanks for the definition. I know it very well, hatteeeeee it! Isn't something how we all share the same thing, and then there is a difference that can help someone?

Thanks again.
  18. Heald

Heald New Member

Luvstrwberry

Please take it easy ont the drinking. I hate to see you have to add that to the list of things you're trying to get rid of or cope with.

Please be encouraged to hold on, there are lots of us out here. I will call you name during my prayer time.

Hold on, you'll get a break. My thoughts are with you.

GK
  19. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I gauge my "baseline" by intuition. It has almost stayed the same since I came down with fibro. Because the costochodritis comes and goes and is painful, I categorize it as a flare because I have to take my "flare" medicine for it. With my baseline, I don't take anything during the day, just my sleep med's at night. My "baseline" is the daily stuff that never, ever goes away. Like the stiffness. Anyway, that is my take on it. P
  20. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

Many of us are either first posting, or signing on after a long absence just because of this flare from beginning of May. Pain since never before, depression, allergies come out of no where, even healthy people are being diag. with new allergies.
    What is interesting is a blood test will show that some who feel like they have allergies have none. My test showed all zeros and I have been on Zyrtec for a few years!

I wonder what is causing this virus-like feelings?
    I wonder if this is only in certain areas? Spring should not be a stressful time for many of us and yet we are incapacitated.
    I am going to post a new thread for those in a flare 'for no reason' to see where they live mostly.

Luvstrwberry: Alchohol will make your insulin level go up and down so much that it will cause increasing pain, vicious cycle. Google "alchohol and insulin and pain"