How Many Have Days That All You Can Do Is Stay In BED?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 7, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

There are many days that all I can do is stay in bed and I mean only able to get up to go to the bathroom. These days are getting more and more frequent, not necessarily from pain but the fatigue and all over strange body feelings. I am so fatigued but can't sleep, the depression/anxiety, body aches, can't seem to think or focus, weird head feelings and on and on.

Yesterday was one of those days and nothing seemed to help but just tough it out. I seem to feel better this morning but in a minute from now it could change. I hate how this DD has affected my life.

I can't seem to put my finger on a cause it just hits out of the blue and I doubt my Dx all the time..

Thanks and God Bless,
    gg

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Mostly housebound and alot of times, I can't even walk across the apartment. I'm always in pain and I'm always tired.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There are many days I wish I could stay in bed. (actually I live on the couch)....but I work still. I am almost in tears many days because I just cannot even imagine having to get in the shower, do all the things necessary to get ready and THEN work!

When I"m home - I rarely move. Since the weather has been nicer, I've been trying to make sure I get outside at least a little bit - Wow..that does make a difference, smelling the fresh air, feeling the sunshine etc.
    Can you set a comfy chair outside somewhere for days like that?

Your Dr. didn't help you much w/the anxiety did she? (he?) Very often we have to "tough it out' cause that's all we can do, then we have to use all the tools we have to make it through the rough emotional patches. Sometimes one thought, one simple one, will make me feel better.
    I know you've really been struggling - and it breaks my heart. Something has to change for you - I was hoping your Dr. would offer some help. Is the xanax helping at all anymore??
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks so much for your replies and caring. Tea, sorry you are having such a bad time I do wish I could work a miracle for you..This CFS is horrible. So we can relate to one another by not being able to do. Are you depressed also if so do you take anything?

Jana, I don't see how you work, I can see why you stay on the couch, I am glad you are still able to make yourself do cause it does help mentally. Yes, the xanax still helps but then there are times nothing works. I can't take AD's but feel I need something.

Kamina, I just feel "What Happened to Happiness" I just can't feel anything anymore, I know if I could deal with my depression this DD would be so much better to handle. I did start seeing a therapist but have only had one visit so we will see how it goes. I just feel I need a purpose for my life that I can do with this DD. I dread everything. I always fix Easter lunch but don't even want to try, don't want anyone around me and then I never know how I will feel. So the dread adds anxiety. I have got to try to do better.

Thanks to each of you and God Bless,
    gg

5. Anafun

Anafun Member

1.Acupuncture seemed to help .I know someone who was bedridden for years and is now working in her yard..I have also started it..
    2.Coenzyme Q-Liquid available at Costco-I take 2 tbsp thrice a day.
    3.Vid D-because we dont get enough sunlight
    4.A good multivitamin
    5.Fish oils -very beneficial.I started on high dose fish oils ..
    6.Prayers...when everything fails.
    Good luck.
    Also see a doctor incase you have developed something else. i remember i had increasing fatigue after meals and found out that i had become diabetic.
    I guess you are already taking something for depression?
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for sharing what helps you. Gee, Acupuncture sounds great but we haven't one here and not sure if medicare will pay for it but I would have to drive 2 hrs one way to the nearest
    one but will ck into it.

No I don't take anything for depression, I thought the vit. D would help but can't tell that it does a thing for depression with me.
    Do you mind telling me what multivitamin you take, I was taking centrum silver but not sure if its the vitamin but seems I get a bit nauseated when I take them.

Have tried the Co-Q10 and fish oil but didn't stick with it as I do with most things . I have slept for 2 days , haven't even attempted to get dressed and try to get out.

Thanks and God Bless,
    gg
  7. I try to get up everyday and don't stay in bed. BUT I am mostly housebound, try to keep my house a bit decent as much as I can. I want my old life back sooo bad. I do go once a wk to the grocery store, but its hard but I push myself. It does get depressing , I can't wait for summer to open the doors and sit outside some.

What does co q 10 do for you?

I hope u feel better ...
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree, you have to take care of the depression first. Depression can make us feel worse physically.
    Your vit D levels are okay and your Thyroid is okay. - not all older people have thyroid issues.
    Talking to a therapist is a great idea, they can help with coping skills, "tricks" to get you through the toughest of days.
    You mentioned that you were on AD's only for a short time when you tried them. They really need to be in your system for a few weeks before they start to work. The side effects will also subside.
    There are many that have fewer less side effects than others. If your GP can't help you, maybe you could consider seeing a psychiatrist. I went to one for the first time about 6 months ago - mainly because I have a friend here who has Fibro and her psychiatrist is so good with meds and what really works with our brains.

If you're becoming or all chronically depressed, you can't do this on your own. I mentioned this before, but my Doctor put me on Lamictal. I took a few AD's in the past for low-level anxiety and did not do well. This med is great for people who have not had great results with other AD's. Yes it is often given for bi-polar, but I am not, so it works for others as well.

I am not a depressed person by nature - actually quite the opposite. Life has been very tough for me in the last year especially and I found myself crying a lot, feeling hopeless and fearful for the future. I reached out and am glad I did. I have noticed a HUGE difference. The easiest way to describe it is I don't look far into the future. (it's hard to describe), but I don't have the worry and anxiety - and believe me I have a lot to worry about right now.

I work because I have to. My husband lost his job and I will do whatever I can to save us. I actually have another part time job as well, but can do it from home. I struggle every day, but cannot look at the future with dread. The emotional/mental part is crucial to feeling well, at least better.

I also work because it does fulfill other needs I guess. It's true that the more I lay around, with no purpose, not being able to do anything, feeling guilty for not doing anything etc. I feel worse. That doesn't mean that I don't just forget about it and am on the couch all weekend - literally. (I keep a toothbrush in my downstairs powder room)

I just really think you need to concentrate on taking care of your depression/anxiety right now and the xanax isn't cutting it. Nothing has to be forever - just see if you can find something that MIGHT help you....if you're exhausted all other reasons (medical - thyroid, vit d etc.), which it sounds like you have.

If you talk to a psychiatrist, he will be able to help find a med that will work best for you. That's what they specialize in.
    I hope you'll at least consider taking that step.

~Janalynn
  9. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

greatgran - I usually feel like I could stay in bed all day, except on very rare occasions. In fact, if I couldn't work at home full time, I would probably be on disability. As far as actually leaving the house, except to go to the grocery store occasionally - I don't.

Just the thought of taking a shower, doing my hair, getting dressed and walking around in a store - arghhh - just makes me wince in pain and I'd be way too tired to do all of that anyway.

Sometimes though, I find that watching TV doesn't help with that - seeing all those vibrant young (I'm 41), full of energy people makes me feel even worse - THAT USED TO BE ME JUST FIVE YEARS AGO!!

I know this probably didn't help you much - but, even VALIDATION can help.
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Anytime you have an infection your blood sugar will be elevated. Mine was 140 fasting when I had a sinus infection, but its something you need to watch. My blood sugar is always higher in the morning, but I have cut back on my carbs of course need to exercise but can't seem to do that. The way they can really tell is to check your A1-C and if is normal then you are ok. As for now my elevation was caused by infection but at my age and my mother was a diabetic I am keeping taps on it.

I would wait till infection is all gone then have in checked, a fasting one.

Good Luck,
    gg
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for all your help, I have ask my doctor over and over to try me on armour, he ran the thyroid along with the antibodies and says my thyroid is fine. We have very few docs here and I am not impressed with any. You are right I don't stay with anything regularly . On your vitamins are they natural? I did order some things from swanson's.

God Bless,
    gg
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have seen a psychiatrist and he prescribed many different AD's at small doses but I couldn't function while taking them. I have seen them help so many people. I to the point I feel I have got to do something with this darn depression as the natural things aren't working. If I had 2 weeks that I didn't have to try to leave the house and suffer with the side effects I wonder if they would get worse or go away. The longest I have ever stayed on an AD is 10 days and thought I was doing ok then the tremors started. He did tell me there where those who could not take them and I seem to be one of them. But I ask myself did I really give them a chance. He wanted to up my xanax and when I do that I feel better so I am hoping the therapy will help me see why I act the way I do.

Thanks for all your help.
    gg
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Know what you mean its hard to push and gets depressing staying in. The co q 10 is suppose to help with energy but really I couldn't tell it did anything for me. I too want my old life back, what upsets me is when I had it I didn't appreciate how wonderful it was.

Happy Easter and God Bless,
    gg
  14. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks Shari, I know what you mean about seeing other people the same age as we do so much and look so great, well they don't have this darn DD . Yep, I use to be that way and as I stated I could kick myself for not appreciating what a wonderful life I had when I was able to do.

Not sure how I am going to do it but I am going to try to fix an Easter Lunch for the family.
    Something simple but at least something.

Happy Easter, and God Bless,
    gg

15. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I was practically bed ridden for close to 2 years. I couldn't stay away for more than a couple of hours and couldn't move much when I was awake. I was in so much pain I didn't know what to do and I didn't really want to be awake anyways. I would wake up in cold sweats just shaking from all the pain and it seemed to come out of no where. I was dx in 2000 and this didn't happen until the end of 2003. By April of 2004 I was no longer working and couldn't function for squat. In May 2004, I got my puppy, unbeknown to me at the time, he was my life saver. He gave me a reason to get up every morning and keep fighting. I think he is the only reason I never got depressed. I always found a way to push on, for him. We both spent a lot of time sleeping but I knew eventually he would have to pee and eat and need attention so I pushed on and pushed my doctors to help me get my life back, or at least some of it. I'm a firm believer that he gave me reason to live. I'm not suggesting everyone get a dog, but I know I'm glad I got mine. He saved my life and kept me sane through the worst of it.

wishing you the best!
    shananegans
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

An A1c is just a blood test that they do mostly on diabetics or suppect that you are. This test gives you an average of your blood glucose control over the past 2 to 3 months. It is sometimes called a hemoglobin A1c.. You can look it up on google for a better explaination.

With an infection and a blood sugar of 130, sounds like you are ok.. so don't worry, just have it re-checked after you are sure all your infection is gone. I don't think I ever get rid of my sinus infections, cause when I start to feeling better I forget to take my meds which does more harm than good. So finish all your antibiotics.

Good Luck,
    gg
  17. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

HI GG, I AM NEW AT THIS BUT I'M NOT NEW TO YOUR FEELINGS. I HAD AND STILL HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU HAVE. I KNOW THAT DEPRESSION SETS OFF THE PAIN IN YOUR BODY ALONG WITH MULTIPLE OTHER PROBLEMS. WHAT I DID FOR MYSELF WAS TOO THINK OF WHAT TO DO AND CAME UP WITH NOTHING. THEN ONE DAY I WAS UP TO GET MY MAIL AND THIS BOY WAS WALKING BY WITH HIS CHIHUAHUA, AND I FELL INLOVE! I NEVER IMANGINED HE WOULD COME BACK WITH THE PUPPY [3months OLD], BUT HE DID, HE ASKED ME IF I WANTED HIM, I SAID YES, AND I'VE HAD HIM FOR ONE AND A HALF YRS NOW AND HE DOES STICK TO ME AND KISSES ME WHEN HE SENSES MY PAIN, AND HIS EYES REFLECT SO MUCH LOVE FOR ME.THEY DON'T REQUIRE MUCH ,JUST YOUR LOVE. THEY ARE THE BEST FRIENDS YOU CAN HAVE AND THEY CAN DO SO MUCH FOR YOU THAT IT REALLY HELPS DEPRESIVE STATES. IT MAYBE HARD HOWEVER TO GET UP TO FEED THEM BUT YOU WILL WORK OUT A SYSTEM FOR YOURSELF AND YOU WILL BE SUPRISED! BELIEVE ME GG, ITS THE BEST THING I DID FOR MYSELF. I DO HAVE MANY PROBLEMS WITH PAIN AND DEPRESSION ALSO,BUT SINCE ITS NOT GOING AWAY, GET SOMETHING TO KEEP YOUR MIND OCUPIED,NOT YOUR BODY. ALTHOUGH I USE A WALKER TO WALK HIM AROUND THE HOUSE. IT'S GREAT. I HOPE I HELPED SOME...I WILL PRAY FOR YOU..
  18. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have a chihuahua, too....she is about 7 lbs and I wish she was even smaller! but she is my best bud! This breed is a one owner dog. they get so attached to you! She is with me every minute of day and night! yes, she is a barker....sigh....and she has an attitude problem....but, i think that is common among small dogs....

i will never be without a chihuhua again....even though she has her issues, she helps me more than anything.....i can feel myself relax when i pet her....she doesn't need to be walked, her poops are tiny, she doesn't even require baths! i just wash her down with a warm washcloth every so often....so very easy! she goes out potty about 3 times a day....

she sheds alot....there are lots of dogs that are half poodle and that can stop the shedding...like a yorkie and a poodle....a pug and a ? Breeders are mixing these little breeds and are having some pretty good results...check it out...
  19. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I got the same great results as Janalynn with Lamectal. I had a history of AD's wearing off.

Ten days is not enough time for the AD to work.

If you have any anxiety, it is sometimes recommended not to take the SSNRI's. I ended up with manic like symptoms when I was on Wellbutrin and then Cymbalta. I had the same effect ten years before with the Wellbutrin, however had thought it was another med. I was on.

Hope this helps.

gap
  20. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

So glad to hear your happy with your pet. you are right , they do have only one owner and they are so loving all day and night.They have the kind of faces that make you feel so warm and relaxed and thats one reason i recomended getting one. your never lonely. they are very happy when you five them attention. good little watchdogs too. funny how the body jumps up and down when they bark, huh, mine is 6 poundsm my daughter has a 3 pounder and she looks like a deer. anyway, Pink, i am happy you have a great companion!!![his name is paco]