How many have FOG? Foggiest Moment......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Feb 21, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

How many FM patients have Fibro Fog? And if you do have you ever had a MRI or is your doctor aware of your FOG?

Put down the foggiest moment you have had.

Thanks in advance!!

FroggyFog
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  2. cheilluminata

cheilluminata New Member

Brain fog is the worst for me. I can't find words, forget everything and my short term memory has left the building. It's annoying and scary all at once.

My foggiest moment was when I went to the store and lost my car for 3 hours. Couldn't remember where I parked it. I wandered around embarrassed like a fool looking for security to drive me throughout the parking lot. Needless to say it was not a pleasant experience.
  3. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

My biggest moments of what I assume constitutes "fog" are when I am in the middle of a sentence and all of a sudden, the thought just leaves my brain! It is embarrassing! I can't continue my sentence and I have to joke and say, "Bye-bye, train of thought! Chooo chooo!" LOL!!!

Anyone else have this problem?

Kat
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

froggyfog:

Mine; I forget the days. The other day I heard mention of Christmas on the television I thought: when is Christmas?
    I forgot!

I lose track of the days sometimes.

Sometimes, , but yes, foggy!

Nice topic.

nyrofan
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Well ...

I forget where I am going quite often. I even turned down the wrong street one time thinking I was going home. I never use that street so who knows why I went down it?

Many (MANY) times I go to do or get something and by the time I get to where I was going to do/get that something I forget what I went there for?

I say it is the wrong day frequently. I upset people (on my job on the telephone - customers) because I transpose things and say the wrong date.

I walk off and forget things I have paid for (like fast food or grocery)or my change.

I am easily distracted and lose my train of thought if interrupted when speaking.

I have trouble followings written directions and basically absorbing or processing written information.

I repeat myself a lot (I am rudely told)

I cannot follow a conversation if there are several people talking at the same time. It is like being stuck in a traffic jam with everyone honking. I havee to look at and focus on one person.

I can't remember my most embarassing moment (there are many). I guess things that happen at work. Other places, if I embarass myself I can just not go back there ... lol (if I reemember).

Yes my DR is aware. Yes I had an MRI in 2000 but we were not looking for fibro issues at that time but probably should have been. I am seeing a neurologist March 1st so I imagine he will want an MRI.

Take care all :)

ps - I may later remember my most embarassing.
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Yes Kat ... that is a horrible moment. People think I am losing it. Maybe I am?
  7. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

This happened a yr. ago but my DH and I still laugh about it.I was nervous about two tests my DH was taking me to.An MRI and an EMG.I had never had either.We get to the hosp. and are sitting in the waiting room.My DH is reading a book so I look around at the other waiting people and spot a women with the ugliest shoes I ever saw.I rarely notice other peoples shoes but these got my attention.Feeling smug I stuck my shoes out in front of me looked down and in horror I shoved them back under the chair.I leaned over to my DH and whispered that I just discovered I had on two different shoes!One black shoe had a square toe and small heel and the other was at least black but was a round toe and no heel.We laughed so hard everyone in the room smiled.I had to walk on down the hall,clip clop in front of everyone.
    At lunch before the next test I begged my DH to please take me to a cheap shoe store to buy a new pair which he did.How in the world I didn't notice I was walking so uneven I'll never know.My DH of course never noticed.The tests were awful by the way and if I had known what I was in for I would have worn my clothes on backwards too LOL.
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I can soooo relate! I wore two different shoes to work once! I spent the entire day hiding my feet under my desk!

The worst for me was getting lost on the way to work. I only have two turns and I'm on the freeway. I wound up on a farm road and late for work. I hav no idea how I got there!

Words escape me. I feel so stupid sometimes when I'm dealing with clients and can't think of simple words.
  9. ILM

ILM New Member

words, train of thought. The worst is when I can't recall a word that I want to use. It goes like "umm you know the thing, over by the thingy thing"

I just read an old blog about brain fog that I had forgotten about.

My kids had gotten into dh's toolbox and were playing with screwdrivers and I yelled at them to stop playing with the cucumbers and put the cucumbers up.
    It didn't even hit me until the 3rd or 4th time i'd said it.

I also forget what time of year it is and what year it is.

I have to think about what time of year it is, what month and season it is. I "forget" that a lot.

I forget how old I am sometimes too.

I just hope i'm not having these slip ups when i'm talking to others and don't notice them.
  10. GrumpyOldCat

GrumpyOldCat New Member

Well I hate to say it, but after reading all these replies I feel much better.... I thought it was just me! After having to have my password emailed to me by this site just now,(cuz I forgot if I was even registered here) I thought I would skim the message boards. You know, the physical stuff with FMS and CFS is altogether enough to deal with, but my brain wants in on the action too ...and is turning to mush! If I am cooking, I dont DARE leave the kitchen without setting a timer to go off or I will forget I have even been in the kitchen at all. (where did all this smoke come from??? :O ) I cant tell you the abuse my poor teakettle has taken! Then there's the dreaded brain-fart..... trying to get some point across, and cant pull it off with this equipment! I just smile and say "Can't pull up the file just now!" .....But Wait! There's more! I just cant remember what...... I'm just happy I still have my sense of humor!
  11. ILM

ILM New Member

I know they say you're not supposed to write passwords and such down, but there is no way I can remember all that.

What's funny is I remember vivid details about things that happened when I was 2, but ask me something about yesterday and i'm lost.

One thing I do to help is to write it all down.
    I have a notebook with seperate pages dedicated to different accounts, with account numbers, passcodes, pass words and what ever I else need to remember.

I also blog, b/c I was starting to forget things the kids said and did, so writing it down helps.

Another thing I forget is where i'm going while i'm driving.
    I have to map out my route in my head before hand, if I don't I will get lost or go the wrong way.....in my own hometown that i've lived in since birth...
  12. lakatos235

lakatos235 New Member

I have a couple - one is when I went to the grocery store in the middle of winter and a young man was out there trying to earn some tips. Anyway you could not take your carts out to the lot so I told him to hold on I would pull around. Well I pulled around and out of the lot and went on my merry way - stopping at the drugstore, etc. About 45 minutes later I suddenly had an urge to know where my groceries were - mmmm - not in the back seat, let me pull over and check the trunk -- not there either. I was sooooo shocked to see the young man still standing with my cart outside the store I have him a $5.00 tip! I often wonder what he thought as he saw me pull out of the lot.

My other good one was when I came out of the convenient store in the pouring rain and jumped into the driver's seat of the wrong minivan! A young man sitting in the passenger seat said "Well hello there!" -- I was stunned to look over and realize it was not my son -- HE was sitting in MY van laughing his butt off with his coat over his head! I knew when the stranger's father came out that he had told him about the crazy lady so I just waived as they pulled away.

Or the time I locked my keys in the running van and did not realize it until my 4 year old asked "What dummy left their car running?" I asked my son to see if the keys were in the ignation - With a big grin he shook his head "yes".

Or how about when stuck in a traffic jam on the turnpike for 4 hours I turned to my friend and asked her "How far between the mile markers?" This is now a standing joke between us.

As I sit here I realize that I could go on and on so I better stop for now. Hope you all got a smile from my stories.
  13. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

I've had plenty of funny and scarey foggy moments, but the funny one from yesterday was when I was trying to dial a phone number on the TV remote. I think I also tried to push buttons on my cell phone to unlock my car instead of the keyless remote.

Oy Vey!
  14. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Thank-you,thank-you,thank-you.I don't feel so alone now.I'm glad we can share and laugh about these things.Sometimes I feel like a complete idiot with my own family members yet.Trying to make them understand what I'm trying to say leaves me frustrated and them looking at me like I have lost my mind.They are the ones who know about the illness so we all know what the friends and strangers must think.Had to forget about worrying over that.
  15. a-b

a-b New Member

At work, at home, wherever! When I forget the word I was going to say, I end up playing charades! You know, it looks like this and does that, it starts with ???

At least my family and coworkers are used to me by now!

16. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

I hate forgetting key words. My conversatons of late is a lot like playing charades.

A funny monent just recently that I posted on the chit chat board .

I was standing next to a dear friend in the church choir. She has terminal breast cancer. After the first song I noticed tears sliding down her cheeks. She just laughed and said , Oh shoot I forgot my hankie.

Out of my mouth came the words. Could I get you a crayon?

CRAYON!. I have no idea where it came from. We both got to laugh and I did get her the kleenex she much needed.

CRAYON! Can you believe it. LOL

I guess my brain decided it wasn't up for a game of charades and picked a word all by itself.

What happens to our brains that words we've spoken since childhood just won't come to mind, at least not until an hour later out of the blue when you're talking about food and "THEN" you remember the product you need to clean the commode.AGH!!!!!

Wren
  17. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Fog spelled backwards is the beginning of the word gof-fy.
    And usually when I'm in a fog, I'm all backwards and definitely goofy!