How many have had a hysterectomy??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanna4550, Dec 15, 2005.

1. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

In reading several posts, I have noticed a lot of us have
    had a hysterectomy (either partial or full). Just curious to find out how many and if you think it may have something to do with our illness.
  2. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I had endometriosis baaaaaaaaaaaad...A year after hubby and I were wed, this wicked thing appeared...Took a highly qualified surgeon to remove the 4 lb. monster along with my left ovary and tube...

I never fully recovered and I think about it daily esp. the more fatigued I get and my abdomen swells sometimes early in the day...

The following year I had a neck injury, bulged a disk that required surgery...THAT was the clincher!!!

Whether it was trauma or the stress of such surgeries OR the combination of hormonal changes and cervical (spinal cord) compromise has yet to be determined...I do know the connection is there somewhere...My docs don't think so, but what do they know, not much more than I unfortunately...
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

In 1995.But my FM and CFS did not start until 2003.

Sue

4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Nothing to do with DD. Best thing that ever happened to me healthwise.

(-:

Sue
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I had a partial hysterectomy for a fibroid and excessive bleeding in 1992. I didn't have FMS that I know of back then. Got FMS badly in 1995. I think I had it prior to that, though, but have no idea how long.

My hysterectomy did not have anything to do with FMS.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. evie9513

evie9513 New Member

I was always a tuff cookie. This surgery did me in.
    Of course the hospital messed up my bladder and there is nerve damage but since I had a diagnosis of fibro previously I was told I couldnt win a case......what a dichotomy..........hard to get disabilty for fibro but if you have a previous diagnosis and have some malpractice issues.....it overshadows it...........me thinks something is a miss here.
    Now saying all of that, if you need a hysterectomy then have it, this is not typical. I just happen to live in a crappy place with not so good staff and in fact, had doubts but was afraid i was fixing to lose my insurance so i chose someone i didnt feel right with. and now i am paying for it.
    Others breeze thru it and are often glad they did it.
    I did not gain weight and love to mock the femine aisle in the stores now thinking.......ahhhhhh.......dont have to spend money on THOSE anymore.
    I would do it again, but with a doctor of my choice.
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I was treated for breast cancer in 1998. In June 2001 I had a 'suspicious' nodule on my ovary. Gyn recommended a full hyst. so as to not have to deal with other cancers and to reduce my estrogen. My cancer was estrogen based. I really had no problem with the surgery

Looking back I have had many of the symptoms of both FM and CF, all of my life. I helped with taking care of my dying Dad, in 2003. Not only was it emotional draining, but physical too. I was given my diagnosis in April 2003 and my beloved Pop died in June. I believe this stress kicked in to fuel these DD's.

No, for me.

Kim
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have had one. We seem prone to fibroids and endormetreosis. We had a poll on this before and their was a big number of us that had hysterectomys.
  9. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Full hysterectomy June of 05. Didn't have any problems with the surgery itself. Had CFIDS/fibro since 1995, but definitely got worse after the surgery. Flaring bad.

GBHope
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I have a bad case of Endometriosis too,...and have had a total abdominal Hysterectomy suggested.
    But I've postponed it 2 times so far.
    Because its a not a sure cure for endo from what I've read online and in books~
    (tho drs. don't tell ya that part)
    My female organs are a total mess.
    Like the rest of me!!LOL

Hope this helps :)
    Tandy
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

I have!!

I would definitely recommend it, too!! I had mine at age 32 and I am now close to 55. I had not regretted it one day in my life!! Best surgery that I ever had!!!

And .... I firmly believe that it had NOTHING to do with the fibro.

It was due to me being one short lady (5"4") and having 2 babies that weighed over 10-1/2 lbs. and 1 baby over 11-1/2 lbs., with all of them being 24" long!

Happy Holidays,
    Janet
  12. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I had a total hysterectomy at 39years old in 1989, due to endo. Diagnosed with cfs 10 year later.

I have done a little reading on endo. before, and more since. There appears to be a higher than normal, some say much higher than normal, correlation between endo. and cfs. Since endo often leads to hysterectomy, that could be the link.

Something to ponder: endo and hysterectomy often involves the bowel. If the bowel leaks, is nicked, or 'opened' in any way, that could lead to toxins invading the rest of the body - is there a link there to cfs and infections??????
  13. matthewson

matthewson New Member

My hysterectomy triggered my FMS. I had to have it done because of prolapse. The story is all in my bio! If I'd of known ahead of time, I would have tried a pessary! Instead I am stuck with this DD!

Sorry, so negative! I was perfectly fine before my hysterectomy. But, stuff happens, so this could have been triggered by any kind of major trauma.

Take care, Sally
  14. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Total, and the best thing I ever did for myself!!

My fibro started from surgery, though, on my cervical/neck area. That was just 2 years ago. So, I do know what it's about, having it start after a traumatic surgery. NOT FUN! But no matter how you develop it, it's not fun!!! PG
  15. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

about 13 yrs ago. I felt better once I healed, but I don't think its related to my FM
  16. lin-z

lin-z New Member

due to a huge fibroid...the month before i herniated a cervical disc ...this was the start of me going downhill physically...i had a very long recovery and never quite felt as good as before..I was not diagnosed with fm til may of this year
  17. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

They saved one ovary. It was performed due to several large fibroids as well as severe endometriosis. I was 34.

Eileen
  18. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I had a partial in 1980....but I felt SOOOO much better after that. This other started a few years after....so don't think it was the cause of it.

MamaR
  19. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

a total hysterectomy due to endometriosis, but I continue to put it off. He says the endo is so severe now that both of my ovaries are pulled down into the cul de sac of my pelvis and both are binded to my uterus. I really don't feel much pain except during the first day of my cycle. I'm going to hold out as long as I can....I've already lost a kidney and can't bring myself to part with another part of me just yet. Probably sounds stupid, but.....

Anyway I was diagnosed with endometriosis after seeing a fertility doc and this was a year after my CFS/FM diagnosis.
  20. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I had my uterus and cervix removed in 1997 and 1 ovary and a tumor in 2001. Along with the breast cancer,lymph node removals, reconstructions, colon resection plus many more is the reason for my CFS/FM. They dropped my blood pressure to where it does not recover. I was told they had destroyed by parasympathetic & sympathetic systems with the surgeries or the radiation let alone when I went into respiratory arrest and they had to resitate me. The last surgeries were in 200l and they triggered these dds.