How many have had an EMG?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sapphire, Jan 11, 2003.

1. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I have one scheduled in Feb. I've never had one and don't know what to expect. I have heard that they are painful.
    If you have had one please let me know how it was. I just want some idea of what to expect.

Thanks,
    Sapphire
  2. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I would describe mine as "uncomfortable" or "unpleasant" rather than "painful". I would also call it "tedious". (Plus, mine was creepy. They did it in the basement of the hospital, very late in the day. Everyone else had gone home, except my technician.)
    Kitty =^..^=
  3. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

Have had an EMG twice before and I have to say that neither time it was not painful, but rather more uncomfortable than anything else. I suppose it is a matter of opinion and tolerance, because I know of six other people who have had them, four would agree with me that it is more a matter of being uncomfortable and two would tell you that it was painful to them. Before I had the last one done, I took a few advil prior to the test to hopefully combat the pain I thought I might experience. Truthfully, the pain from my shoulder and arm was about 200 times stronger than a few needle sticks. Overall, needle sticks do not bother me in the least (that is sort of sad, huh?).

You will be fine and the test will be over before you know it. The thing I find roughest with any test or procedure is the anticipation.

Be well,
    ~A
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

The technician wrote me down as "uncooperative" when I told her that if she put one more needle in my arm I would cheerfully toss her out the 4th floor window. It was the most horrible medical experience I have ever had. I would rather repeat any two of my 6 surgeries.
    Kathryn
  5. Rosesark

Rosesark New Member

Hi, i had to post and tell you that i just had an EMG yesterday. The doc's are still testing to see if i may have some connective tissue dosease along with fibro. My symptoms are extreem muscle tenderness and weakness in calves, thighs, groin and now upper arms. The day before the test, i had to call in hysterics due to pain to my doc here for a pain shot, as i have not been given any pain med yet. My muscles were at their worse this week, i could not even stand for anyone to touch them at all, and i feel that if they had not hurt as much, then the EMG would not have been the MOST painful procedure yet. Only when he inserted the needles into the muscles did it hurt that bad, but my husband had to hold me down, and finally had to tell him to quit when i raised my fist to hit the doc. If your muscles aren't real tender, then it should go ok. Otherwise, take something before you go. Hope you do better, and i just wish someone had given me an idea of this test, then i would have gone to the doc and demanded a pain shot first. Good Luck. Rose
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

Like Sandy, I had the nerve conduction and EMG done the same morning. The nerve conduction wasn't so bad, it felt sort of like when you hit your funny bone. The EMG was hell. The only other time I ever recall being in that much pain was each time I ruptured a disk. I would gladly go through another childbirth without anesthesia before having another one done. I swore then, and I maintain now, I will NEVER go through that again. I was crying half way through it, in a sweat and practically hyperventilating. I cried all afternoon and for the next 2 days my pain scale stayed at a 9-10. Sorry to be the voice of gloom and doom, but you asked for honesty. Good luck with yours.

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2003]
  7. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Hi Sapphire,
    I hope I don't make it worst for you and also hope you do not have a bad experience with this test as I had. I have posted this message on another board and received no post back to me. Hopefully someone on this board has experienced this as well. I really need to know. So if anybody reading this has had such a bad experience as me please post to me ( HURTSALOT2 ) Each day that passes by I seem to feel worst. Please don't think this will happen to you because it probably will not. I have not yet received any post from anyone who is in worst condition since EMG.
    Let me know how your test goes. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2

I posted this on another board. Don't know what happened but I feel 50 times worst since this test.
    Has this happened to any of you?
    posted 12-13-2002 06:01 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had my EMG yeterday I sure hope I never need another one. I would like to know if any of you who had this test felt worst the next day. I have extreme sore spots and brusing. Have any of you who had the EMG experienced this. I had to ask this neuro doing it if I was his biggest baby patient. Some of the areas where he inserted the needle and moved it around made me cry in pain. Maybe my pain tolerance is low. I don't know but I think it hurt an awful lot. He told me that I was not the biggest baby he has tested. LOL
    He said that some patients call it quits before he is done. At one point he told me that he notices that I am getting pale and ask me if I would like him to quit.
    I asked him, How many more to insert? He said four.
    Now, he has already stuck me about 15 or 20 times, what is four more, right. I told him to please finish.
    He said that he was calling it quits because I was
    pale.I did not want an incomplete test. Too many
    problems with doctors and insurance. So we took a
    break, and had a drink and then finished the last
    four which made me wish I had said STOP!!!
    So, my main question is: Did any of you have more
    pain, and did you get bruised? I will not get my
    results till Monday. Now this nuero is the one who
    treats me for my headaches. He tells me he cannot
    give me results because this test was the request of
    the surgeon.

8. little

little Member

I have had two. One on my shoulders and arms. One on my legs. They were like someone sticking a needle in an open sore and turning it. It was unbearable. I would never do one again. When I had my legs down they spasmed for three weeks. It was painful to walk. I know people who have had one done and never felt a thing. I never thought of taking medicine before one. The doctor should have mentioned it. We all are different. I hope that yours goes well and is pain free. Let me know how you did. Gail
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2003]
  9. karen55

karen55 New Member

I had bruises everyone the needles had been stuck in me. My neck and shoulders were in awful spasms for a couple of days and muscle relaxers just wouldn't work. Trying to massage or rub the knots out was completely out of the question. I repeat, I will never have one of those again.
  10. Ness

Ness New Member

I would just like to say that EVERYONE will have a different experience.and with anything if you go into it scared and listening to what others say it WILL BE WORSE!!!!

I have had an EMG and Nerve Conduction test done twice..the first time was more uncomfortable than the secound...TWO different Dr's...

There are some tests that are necessary and if you go into it with an open mind and most importantly RELAX..it will be go much more smoothly. the soreness that comes from it will go away in a few days..and then again you will have your OWN expereince...

RELAX it will all be behind you soon.

Peace
    Ness
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

Gee...after reading all this responses that are horror stories,I bet you can't wait to have this test done!!lol
    Now me hun,I can ease you alittle I hope. I had the test once which was last year.I would say uncomfortable a little but not pain!The needles are only set in a teeny bit.Then they sorta shock the muscle to see how it reacts.
    Ya know how they check your knee reflexes using that little rubber hammer??and your leg just jumps a little~well thats sorta what its like...so your muscles will jerk a bit when they're shocked.Its not that bad~But I will agree with some of the others in that I felt sore the next day or two. Please let us know how you do~
    You'll do fine.Good luck!!
    warm regards,
    Tracey
  12. epicurean

epicurean New Member

for Different Floks!!
    Everyone is different-the only thing that bothered me was having to lay on hard table for so long.Maybe the person giving the test makes it harder ot eaiser-had no problem-hope it's the same for you!!
  13. basket21

basket21 New Member

I know an EMG to be a device to get a reading on your heart. You lay down and the operator puts little round pads that stick to you all over your chest and ankles. The wires from the machine are then attached to the pads. She flips a switch on the machine and ycu check out the ceiling or talk to the operator for about 3 minutes and your are done. She takes the wires off the pads and removes the pads themselves that come off without a hassle, you get dressed and go home. No pain or suffering at all.
    An EMG and EEG mean the same test. I would really like an explanation of your meaning of an EMG so I can learn something today.Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards basket21
  14. PUTTER

PUTTER New Member

Sapphire,
    Through the years I have had 5 EMG'S and Nerve Conduction tests. I will tell you it's no walk in the park,but how many medical tests are?

I would agree with 3 of our friends that have answered you:
    epicuren,tandy and Ness. One thing I can say is it's boring and your glad when it's over so you can go on about your business.It will give your doc info that will help you in the end. Mine found out that I had fibro/cfs Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, a twisted nerve in my tail bone S-1&2 that causes
    Siatica. So it was really worth it to me to find out what was wrong with me.

There is a certain amount of discomfort to it ,but I bet nothing you can't handle. Just relax that's the important thing. And let the techs do their work.

Good luck and let us know.
    Love,and lots of support.
    PUTTER/BOBBIE

15. starstella

starstella New Member

experience for me. I found it painful, was in tears before it was over, but I also felt that some lab rat on a table in a lab somewhere. I think the times I had the worst pain was when the needle was inserted near a trigger point.

I was surprised that there were no recommendations to take a pain reliever beforhand, I had taken some tylenol but it was useless. My biggest mistake was having it done early in the morning, then going in to work. It took me two days to recover emotionally.

On a positive note, it was the first time I had a test which results were not "normal". Any of you who have had various testing, told everything was normal, even though you felt like sh**, will understand what I am saying. The EMG was the first test that showed something was wrong (for me, degenerating disks), which helped validate my illness complaints.

So, IMO, this is not an easy test, but is something worth going through with. Try not to get yourself too nervous beforehand. Call the doctor's office and ask if they ever prescribe anything for pain before the test. You will get through it ok.
  16. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Hi Sapphire,
    If you feel nervous about this test ask your doctor for something to help you relax. If I had known that I could ask for something to relax me I would have. I wish I would have found this board before my EMG test was done. Maybe it would have not been such a bad experience for me. So, I hope I did not scare you with my other post. Take advantage of all the info you got here and if you do feel nervous talk to your doctor. Don't do like me, I did not ask any questions at all and I paid the price. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2
  17. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

You have gotten quite a few responses here. WOW!!! I want you to know that I have had three done. On two of them i was given something before hand and just be sure to ask for something okay. In my experience though the muscles that are very painful they wouldn't do. I wouldn't fret too badly over this. Everybody is different and every Doctor that is doing it is different too. Some are more sensative to the patients pain. The only thing I found to be most uncomfortable is the the fact that the needles like accupuncture that are inserted into muscles make them twitch without your control. I hope you are okay about going in today and pray that it goes well.
    Just be sure to ask for something and keep in mind that ALL of us react differently to everything okay. You can't take someone elses experience and expect yours to be horrible too. Best of luck and I will be thinking about you Dear.
    Take care okay.
    Joannie
  18. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Actually I've had two of them and never want to have another one. It was very bad for me plus I got a leg cramp right in the middle of the test and they didnt stop and kept going. It was not good for me. Everyone is different though, they say if you can put yourself somewheres else (your mind) and relax its not so bad but when the muscles tighten up its worse.
  19. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I'm not having this till Feb. So unfortunately I have a lot of time to think about it. I just looked at my orders and I'm also scheduled for a nerve connduction test. More fun. LOL
    I do thank you all for being brutally honest.LOL At least I know what I might be in for. I would definitely rather know what to expect.
    Boy, some of you had a really rough time. I'm sorry you had to go through that. What we do to try to get better. I do tolerate pain very well so maybe it won't be too bad. I will definitely let you know how it went. I just hope I get some answers. It's like, good or bad you just want to know.
    Thanks to everyone that responded.

Sapphire
  20. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I have had atleast 3or 4 EMG's and nerve conduction tests done..I must admit, they are not the most pleasant thing, but it really didn't bother me any of the times..I think a lot depends on the Dr. or tech doing it..I have a good relationship with my Nuero, so he talked to me about other things in between and I told him jokes, so it kinda got my mind off of it..I would do it again anytime!!!
    Best of Luck........Take Care.........Donna