How Many Have Had Gall Bladder Issues?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Slayadragon, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I recently learned that my gall bladder is not in very good shape.

Moreover, I've been hearing more and more that people with both mold poisoning and lyme disease have gall bladder problems and that many of them "lose" their gall bladers.

It could be that other people have gall bladder issues as well. The response of some people here to methylation support suggests that toxicity issues of all kinds can be problems for us.

Here is a scary comment that one mold poisoning sufferer who had his gall bladder out shared with me:

"The surgeon who removed it came to see me afterward and he said that
    my gall bladder was infected, extremely fragile and a mass of scars..
    and when he removed it, it turned out that it was filled with black
    sludge."

I found that very scary and thus am making an effort to address my gall bladder issues as effectively as I can. This seems like a priority!

I'm thus wondering:

1) Who here has had gall bladder issues? What type?

2) If you had to have it taken out, what did you learn about the condition?

3) What kinds of things have you done to address gall bladder issues? Do you think they've been effective?

Thanks!!!
  2. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I had my gall bladder removed on July 21. It had sludge and polyps in it.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi Lisa - I already posted to you, as you know, about AF Betafood from Standard Process. I can't say enough good things about it. It helped my gallbladder enormously, I think saved it.

I also learned that I had to take digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid with each meal. I have not had any problems with my gallbladder for a few years now since doing this so haven't had to take the AF Betafood for quite awhile.

I also did a liver detox about 5 years ago under the supervision of my chiropractor which I think helped my gallbladder functioning as well.

Lemon juice was also very helpful when my gallbladder was chronically inflamed.

All of these things worked together --

Mary
  4. romalaw

romalaw Member

Hi Lisa

The gall bladder connection is interesting. Ten years ago, I had a terrible bout of respiratory flu from which I never recovered. A year prior to that I had fallen and hit the back of my head, began having migraines and eventually terrible muscle and joint pain, not sure if this was a precipitating factor.

Anyway, a few months after the flu I began to have terrible pain just right of the breastbone and in the liver area. Went to two different GIs who recommended that I have my gallbladder out, some shadow that they thought was a stone. I went ahead with the surgery, hopeful that it would clear up my symptoms and I would begin to recover. I had some complications that landed me back in the hospital a week later. I never heard what was found in my gall bladder.

However, my health declined dramatically after the surgery and I became seriously ill, I was diagnosed with CFS by Dr. Lerner.

Whether it was the anesthesia or the added trauma to my system, the surgery definitely pushed my fragile system over the edge. I developed severe reflux, gastritis, IBS, hypoglycemia, allergies to most foods. I lost almost 20 lbs because I everything I ate irritated some part of my GI system.

Sorry this is such a gruesome story and I really don't know what the gall bladder connection is but I know I've never been the same.

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I had my gall bladder removed 4 years ago. It was full of stones. It was a very good idea to have it removed, it made a big difference. I was having very bad gall bladder attacks before having it removed. The surgery was very easy and so was recovery.

I am glad I chose surgery over any other treatment as I have watched a few people try to use other means and end up with necrotic gall bladders or having them burst.
  6. lizritchey

lizritchey New Member

I was having some pretty serious bouts a few years ago. Now I can tell when it's starting to flare and I immediatley watch what I eat (no high fats) and drink lots of water and apple juice. I tried lemon juice with olive oil a couple of times but I think apple juice worked just as well. I think the main help is that I stay hydrated. Half your weight in ozs. I'm 125 lbs. so I drink at least 60 ozs. of water every day religiously.

I'm seeing a Naturopath that tells me gall bladder attacks can be triggered by allergies.
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

I had similar experience to romalaw. but mine came out in 89 and i was at the end of my 20s and havent been 100% since. sux.
    the book osler's web and dr cheney have talked about how a disproportioniate amount of the cfs people had gall bladder problems, some connection there.

i regretted the surgery, had one moderate stone but dont think there was anything really outstanding about the condition of my gb, i read the notes. wonder if should have tried to save it but oh well, knew less than,did what the docs said, was having painful attacks, which was odd given i was in top athletic shape and young. was told later could have been bc pills and dieting that did it, maybe had lyme, maybe cfs dormant, who the heck knows........

8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

The odd thing was that when both were removed, I was told that neither was inflammed or diseased, they just seemed to have withered up and died. Hmmm.

Later I was diagnosed with not only fibro, but Sjogren's Syndrome. Sjogren's is known to attack internal organs, so now I wonder if it was not the Sjogren's attacking the appendix and gall bladder. I strongly suspect that I have had Sjogren's for many years.

So who knows, it's anyone's guess. All I know is that I hope if it was due to the Sjogren's, it stops with the two organs. I also have Type 2 diabetes, but I strongly doubt the Sjogren's has attacked the pancreas. Just something that happens, I suppose. Paranoid much? LOL!
  9. ChyC

ChyC New Member

I had an large gall stone and also had an cyst in my ovary. When I finally woke up my former doctor told me tat the surgery went well. There were 3 of them in the surgery and after the gall bladder was removed, my gyn tried to lift out the cyst and it burst in his hands. All 3 doctors laughed and I layed there surprised while wanting to just tell them off.

I didn't think they were funny when I heard but I had complications and had to keep the catater in until they bought in an urologist to place an ring to open up so I could pee on my own again. He was nice.

After all that my fibro just got worse and as for food I could only keep mash potatos and corn, which lasted for about 9 months. They then found out that I had gastric reflux and put me on an med for that. I took tagamet for years and then I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor put me on pariet and that works well for me.

Chy
  10. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I had mine removed about 3 months ago. I had been having attacks for years but no one ever thought of my gallbladder. I finally had an ultrasound of my abdomen and pelvic area due to bloating and they found several very large stones and sludge. I also had an upper GI to rule out other possible causes of the pain.

I did ask on this board if anyone had flushed out their stones homeopathically and got some responses (i'll bump that if i can find it).

Because of the size of the stones and my inability to eat anything without feeling sick, I decided to go through with the surgery. It was laproscopic surgery, I went home within a couple of hours, had 4 small incisions on my tummy and was able to eat normally again within 3 weeks. I am now eating things I couldn't eat for years.

I am very glad I had it done. However I think it depends on how many stones, what size stones, if your gb is diseased and if you have symptoms/attacks. I would get an ultrasound and upper GI done before getting it surgically removed to make sure there aren't other things going on or if you can do a non surgical method.

good luck
    jl
  11. Txslady

Txslady New Member

Mine was removed 1/2005, siffered for 2 months before diagnosis. I just had sludge and inflamation. I believe that is wat caused all my other problems.

Shannon
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have FMS/LYME, and had GB problems for years, which I tried to treat naturally with olive oil and lemon flushes, apple juice, enzymes at each meal, etc. My GB tests (ultrasound and HIDA) kept coming back normal as well, so docs were reluctant to do anything.

Finally, it got so bad I could not eat anything, and I was losing 5 lbs. per week. They did a special procedure that I had to be asleep for, (EGD w/biliary microscopy), which proved I did have lots of tiny stones, so they took the GB out.

I had been warned by my TCM doc to avoid high fat foods forever after the surgery, as GB problems begin in the liver, and of course, I still had a liver. I mostly listened to her and ate low fat, but....five months later the symptoms started with full blown GB-like attacks again, after I ate one slice of cake with frosting.

Lots more testing (a CT scan with contrast and several fecal fat tests) showed that the years of trying to keep my GB had caused the small stones to block my enzymes from leaving my pancreas, and more than 90% of it was destroyed. (When enzymes can't get out because ducts are blocked by stones, they eat the pancreas). That was why I had always needed to take enzymes with meals.

Now, I must eat low fat forever, take maximum dose prescription enzymes with each meal, and expect a lifespan reduced by at least 1/5th, as well as a higher risk of abdominal cancers of all types, and a much higher risk of diabetes.

The meds for my serious malabsorption problem have caused massive weight gain that I did not need, but I have to take them. I am nauseated all the time, and must also take a PPI for life to help the enzymes work properly. The PPI has already caused moderate osteopenia. I am taking strontium, calcium, magnesium and vitamin D, desperately trying to save my bones.

IMO, be very careful with trying to keep your gallbladder once it's gone bad. It can have repurcussions you can't even imagine. Also, if you have symptoms that don't strictly fit the GB profile, be agressive about having them investigated.

klutzo

13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

My gosh, these stories are frightening.

Forebearance
  14. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

My story: about 20+ yrs ago I began to have pain that would double me over.

The doctor did a sonogram and found over 12 gallstones and sent me to a surgeon.

It was going to be about a month before I could get it done because another lady at work was having gall bladder surgery.

I decided to double up my vitamins to get ready for surgery and began taking Lecithin. The pain got real bad for a while there so when it came time for surgery I was ready.

A little voice in my head said "ask for another sonogram", which I ignored...sigh!

When the doctor came to talk to me after the surgery he said there was only 1 gallstone left and it looked like a piece of popped popcorn.

I told him about the lecithin (which helps get rid of fat) and he hesitated slightly and said "well it was diseased anyway". No details.

If I had asked for the sonogram again, I might have waited a while longer. My gallstones were fat based and were being broken down by the lecithin. The extra pain was because pieces were breaking off and coming out thru the duct.

I am careful about how much fat I eat because it can make me sick to my stomach if I eat too much at one time.

If you do have to have the surgery and you have a chiropractor the chiro can do electrical stimulation over the surgery site and it does seem to help the site heal more quickly.

3 other people I knew who had the surgery around the same time did not recover nearly as easily as I did. Probably because of the vitamins I took and having the electrical stimulation.

My mother(when she was young) and both sisters (1 at a young age, the other when she was older) have also had their gall bladders removed.

Take care
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I had my gallbladder removed 11/06 and my health improved dramatically. I believe my gallbladder which was full of stones, was poisoning my entire system.

When you have fibro or CFS anything else wrong pushes you over the edge. With gallbladder problems I could not even eat a balanced diet - which led to vitamin deficiencies.

These deficiencies caused all sorts of symptoms. Today I feel great and believe the gallbladder problem was a major cause of my illness over the past years.

I chose not to mess with trying to keep my gallbladder when the doctors explained the risks of stones moving. If you have your gallbladder removed before it becomes a emergency, you avoid major surgery.

If you wait for the stones to possibly move and block your common bile duct, you risk major surgery and the surgeon damaging the common bile duct to try and save your life.

If the common bile duct is damaged you are sick the rest of your life and can wind up needing a liver transplant.

I read alot about this before and after my surgery. Since surgery I have had no problems with digestion or eating.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2008]
  16. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi all,

These are pretty terrible stories!

My conclusion from reading them is that taking care of the gall bladder upfront is really important.

"Losing" my gall bladder seems like something I would do best not to have to go through!

Thus far, I don't have any overt symptoms that would have caused me to go to a doctor to complain.

What kinds of symptoms do people experience when they're at the point where doctors would recommend surgery?

Also, are there things that conventional doctors recommend with regard to taking care of the gall bladder so that surgery isn't required?

Probably they wouldn't buy into the gall bladder flushes etc. that complementary care providers often recommend. I wonder what (if anything) they do recommend though.

I also wonder if Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) has a good track record in terms of addressing the gall bladder. They certainly are good with the liver, and so perhaps this goes along with that.

In the meantime, I think I'll start taking some lecithin.

Best, Lisa
  17. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Some lymies who take long term antibiotics, especially iv. rocephin end up needing their gall bladders taken out.

For me, however....I had gall stones years before I became really sick with CFS. Gall stones run in my family and like many I had to remove my entire gall bladder. I too think the trama to the body from surgery and mainly the anesthesia worsened my body. I do NOT think it CAUSED my cfs as i feel i have had it mild even as a kid..but I do think it exacerbated it. Perhaps it was the chemical sensitivity from the anesthesia? Maybe by removing this organ it disrupts necessary functions that we don't even know about (bile, etc)... i know nothing about the gall bladder, just throwing that out there.

It is ironic how many of us have had gallbladder issues.

18. gongee

gongee New Member

I had my gall bladder removed May of this year. I had no gall stones at all, but the gall bladder was only working at 2%. I am still having issues with my stomach and eating. My compounding pharmacist told me that he could have given me supplements to get it going again, but it was too late at that point. To be perfectly honest if I had to do it over again, I would have check every other option available, before proceeding with the surgery.But then again, that is just my opinion. Everyone is different.

Good Luck!!!

Sheila
  19. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Slayadragon, Hi All,

Many years ago, I began having a pain that I fairly quickly surmised was coming from my gall bladder. I also had symptoms of a toxic liver as well. I began doing a number of things to help both the liver and the gall bladder, but the one thing that I believe helped me the most was learning about and beginning to do regular coffee enemas.

These CEs not only brought a gradual and substantial improvement in the liver/gb symptoms, but seemed to help me in many other ways as well; I think primarily because they would at least temporarily raise my body's glutathione levels.

I've posted about my CE experiences on other threads if anybody wanted to do a search and get more information. Slayadragon, I too took note of the lecithin connection. I've taken 3X lecithin by NOW brands for a number of years. Seems it is able to "emulsify" fats that may be clogging some of our fragile ducts that can so easily become clogged.

Regards, Wayne

P.S. Radishes are also supposed to be an excellent food to dissolve stones and sludge in the gall bladder.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2008]
  20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Wayne,

This is perhaps an icky question, but do you have reason to believe that what is being released from your gall bladder is anything like "black sludge"?

I do think this is what I'm releasing, and I wonder if that's the case for other CFS'ers.

Thanks!

Best, Lisa

P.S. Thanks to all for their experiences. Please keep them coming!