How many have had hernias?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sandyz, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had one fixed about 20 years ago. I`m really afraid I have another one probably in the same spot. I have had pelvic pain and back pain for almost 2 monthes. I also had bladder infection and one kidney infection during this time. I am also having pain in my groin and leg. I noticed a swelling there also. I`m going to the doctor tommorow to have them check for sure.

I wander if we tend to get hernias alot because of our tight muscles. I`ll bet we do.
  2. zerped

zerped New Member

March 2005 I had surgery to correct a hernia on my right side. The doctors found one on the left as well, but we waited until I had healed from the first surgery. Second one gets taken care of Jan.16. I know that one of them came from an injury on the job in 2000, and not sure about the second one.

One of the things the doctors kept saying is not to "bear down" real hard to force bowel movement. Since many of us get problems with constipation from meds, and many have had IBS before the FMS/CFIDS, perhaps that's why we have more hernia trouble than most. (?)
  3. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

I had an umbilical hernia taken care of about eight years ago. I was wondering if they can come back, it rather sounds like it though.
  4. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Sandyz!

I understand why you are concerned and getting this problem checked-out is a good idea. Since you've had your original repair, a lot of hernia repairs are now being done using laparoscopic techniques to cut down on the amount of adhesions and healing time.

After my hysterectomy in 1999, where the incision was made "up-to-down" (rather than across the abdomen), I developed the first of four ventral (or "incisional") hernias in my abdomen. I've had three hernia repair operations, so far, but none of them were able to be repaired laparoscopically.

Best wishes to you and please let us know what you find out at the doctor. I'm still trying to decide whether to get my fourth hernia repair or to get my knees replaced, first.

Hugs,

Janice

5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Janice, I too had a hyterctomy. Mine was done with the incision low horizontally. I also had a C-section, I remember my doctor saying I had a lot of scar tissue from that. I kind of doubt I`ll be able to do mine laproscopicly either after all that.

I couldn`t go in today because my doctors office was closed due to the holiday. So, I`m going in tommorow. My leg was really hurting today mostly in the groin area. What symptoms did you have with your hernia? I haven`t been feeling welll at all for several monthes. I`ve gone to the doctor 4 times already with this pelvic pain. They never checked for a hernia. I`m so tired of it all.

You had 4 of them, my gosh that must have been rough. When I had my first hernia surgery 20 years ago, they kept you in the hospitol for 3 days. Most of the time now, I`m sure its out-patient.

What kind of tests did they do on you to find the hernias? I wander if a ultrasound works? Well, I`ll let you know what happens tommorow.
  6. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Sandyz!

Your upper leg pain sure sounds a lot like what I've had with my hernias. My theory is that it may be what is called "referred pain" - where there is trouble in one part of the body but the feeling of pain shows up in another.

Like you, when I've developed hernias, I feel pain which is when I just know (can't explain it) another hernia has occurred, plus I don't feel right, afterwards. One way to unofficially test for abdominal hernias is to be standing - then quickly lie down in bed (face up): if a part of your abdomen takes longer (than the rest) to sink back in place when lying down, then the chances are good there is a hernia in that area.

Another thing I've noticed is really loud bowel sounds: when my intestines aren't being held in place by the abdominal cavity wall they can 'get vocal' & make a lot of noise - very embarrassing in church and all that - LOL!

As for tests, I've had ultrasounds, MRIs, and once had to drink a lot of barium for a scan. A surgeon usually can find a hernia with just an examination. However, before a repair operation, the surgeon may request a several tests to see if there are any complications he or she should know about.

Between the time of hernia discovery and the repair operation, I wear what is called an abdominal binder to hold things in place. You can order these elastic binders online or at a medical supply store (ask your doctor for a script). I'm wearing an Elastic Abdominal Binder, right now.

The length of time you are in the hospital following surgery will probably depend on several factors:
    1) The type of surgery you're having: laparoscopic vs. open
    2) The size of the hernia being repaired.
    3) Any complications (I have diabetes, high blood pressure, & often get pneumonia, so I've stayed anywhere from just overnight to 9 days).
    4) How long your insurance thinks you should stay vs. your doctor's opinion.

Please let us know how your doctor visit goes and I wish you the best on dealing with this painful situation. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

Since you've had such a long time between your first hernia repair and this one, your chances for a successful repair are pretty good. My odds aren't that good so I've learned to lower my expectations.

I am still waiting to see if my previous surgeon will operate on me again (appointment in a couple of weeks).

Best wishes and healing hugs!

Janice
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

You gave me lots of good information and that is just what I need right now. I went in to my PAC this morning and she did an exam. She definently thought it looked puffed and a little swollen in my groin and on my leg. She said she couldn`t tell for sure though.

She is sending me for an ultrasound tommorow morning at 10:00 to have my whole pelvis and groin checked. I am so glad I am finally getting some tests done to get to the bottom of this. I have been miserable for 2 monthes with this and I am really tired of it.

It feels just like when I had had my hernia before, the pulling sensation and pain everytime I use my leg. I also feel a lot of pressure in the same spot. If I don`t have one, there is something else going on.

You sure had a long stay in the hospitol with yours. I don`t have high blood pressure but I am sure not as healthy as I was when I had the last one done. I would hope they would keep me a day or two.

I have already have 8 surgeries in my life. I usually come through them fine but the hysterectomy was the hardest one for me. I was in a lot of pain after that one and felt pretty tough. Other then that I had 3 knee laproscopic surgeries, c-section, carpal tunnel, tubal ligation, and radial kerotomy(eye correct surgery)

I thank you for all your support, it is really appreciated. If you think of anything else let me know. I will let you know tommorow what I find out.

Sandy
  8. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi SandyZ!

By now, I hope that your ultrasound appointment is over. Any idea how long it will take for you to find out any results?

Janice
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Hi, I got it done this morning. I won`t know too much yet, by Friday they might have results for me. She did say my bladder was not emptying all the way. After I went to the bathrooom there was still a lot of urine in there.

So, she said that`s what`s causing all my bladder infections. It sounds like I`ll have to have more tests to see if there is a blockage there or what is going on. As for the hernia I still don`t know if I have one or not.
    I still am having a lot of pelvic, back and groin pain and I will be glad when I get some more answers here.

How are you doing today? All I did was go to my ultrasound, get groceries and I was bushed. I went to bed all afternoon I just didn`t feel well. I feel a little better tonite.

Thanks for your support and I`ll let you know what I find out.

Sandy
  10. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi SandyZ!

Wow! Your bladder's inability to void completely sure does sound like it is responsible for the pelvic, back and groin pain you are experiencing (not to mention the infections you endured).

Of course, the bigger issue is exactly what is causing this bladder problem and I hope that through testing, you are able to discover the root of the problem (and a treatment) very quickly.

Meanwhile, please take it easy and I wish you the very best. I'd appreciate knowing what is happening with you as you seek to unravel the cause of this situation.

Hugs,

Janice

11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Thanks so for concern for me. I spent a miserable weekend with the heating pad on my stomach. I`m still having alot of pain, backache,groin pain and having to pee every 10-15 minutes. I did talk to my PAC on Friday. She said they didn`t see any hernias with the ultasond but that my bladder wasn``t emptying out.

She said that needed to be checked out more and she would talk to the head doctor and see what he thought we should do. He was on vacation last week. I`ve got to call her back today, but I might just tell her I want to go directly to a urologist.

I`m still not so sure I don`t have a hernia. It sure feels like it. Do you think ultrasounds are accurate for finding them? As for the bladder pain, I`m wandering if I don`t have intersistial cystisis. Its a painful inflamation of the bladder. I sure have all the symptoms.

I let you know what my next appt is. I hope I don`t have to wait weeks to get in to see a urologist. I don`t think I can stand this much longer.