How many have had kidney stones?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilynb, Jun 10, 2006.

1. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I have seen a lot of posts about people having kidney stones & was just wondering how many people have had them. I have had them since I was 17 & was wondering if this may be one of the things people with FM have to deal with.

How many have you had & when did you have your first one? Have you had to have lithotripsy because a stone was too big? I have had 2 lithos. Have you ever had a stone that got stuck? Even with all the stones I have passed over the years, I have only had 2 that got stuck. My first one & last one.

Just wondering...

Marilyn
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I had my first one when I was 19 (I'm 46 now) and it was 1/4 inch in diameter. Back then - no litho! They had to go in and get it with a cysto. OUCH!!!

I still get them, but my ureter is so stretched out that they pass easily.

God Bless.
  3. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I've had them off and on quite a bit since I was about 21. Passed first one then. Have had 1 stuck which required surgery, but discovered that God blessed me with 2 tubes on the right side, so I had a bypass that kept me from being much sicker than I would have been otherwise. I've had lithotripsy twice. Seems to be just the right kidney that causes all the problems. I just passed another one a couple of weeks ago. God bless you all, cause that is not something that anyone should have to go through!!
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

sure did'nt FEEEEEL small tho!!

I had no clue what was happening to me.
    I just had severe side pain,low back and eventually I felt it all in my groin and then right there in your crotch area~ (sorry) just explaining my experience.
    Lots of leg pain with mine too!!

I was acually admitted into the hospital so they could run tests. and thats what they determined, was that I was passing small sand stones. I did have blood in my urine,..and a clot in my left kidney.
    I passed some stringy looking blood things too.???
    not sure what that was.?

I've also had ovarian cysts rupture and they feel alot the same as kidney stones.
    none of its fun.
    I hope to never ever go thru either one again!
    blessings
    Tandy
  5. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Marilynb,

Count me in those too... OUCH!!
    I had them when I was about 30 the first time. I have had around 5 of them.

Gosh it has been about 5 years since the last, and believe me I hope the last for sure.

OUCH! That is all I can say.....

Cindy
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I had my first one when I was 30 (I'm 55 now). It was shortly after I came home from the hospital from having my third baby. I had a C-section and I really thought that they had left something inside me!!! The pain was horrific.

Turns out that it was because of infection. I had been put in the hospital 2 weeks BEFORE they did the C-section and stayed in the hospital 2 weeks AFTER the C-section. Needless to say, I had complications before and after having my nearly 12 lb. baby boy who was 24 inches long, and 3 weeks early!!

Anyway, I had a catheter in the entire time because I wasn't allowed out of bed. I ended up with a severe kidney and bladder infection from the catheter. The stone was a "struvite" stone made up of infection.

I ended up getting repeated stones that year until the infection was totally gone. I think I was on a low dose antibodic for a year!

Then thoughout the next 10 years, I developed more stones. Some of them were calcium oxolate stones. I think I also had a phosphrous stone.

I passed a couple of the stones, one of them got stuck in the tube and I had to have a drainage tube put in my kidney, and all of the others had to be surgically removed.

Kidney stones are not fun--that's for sure!!!! I haven't had any for about 10 years--knock on wood!! I certainly hope that those days are over for me.

Hugs,
    Janet