How many have had Mono.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Just curious . . . bet almost all of us have.

I had mono during the summer of 1962. I was 17 yr old. If you can't do the math (LOL), I'll be 67 in August (at least I think I will . . . ).

Soft Hugs,
    Sharon (Nikki)
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

lab tests show I had EBV.....I understand this is quite common though.

While trying to trace FM/CFS most of us can probably point to a great deal of emotional or physical trauma in our past. I've had 4 operations thru the same "zipper" but I think the thing that did it was a dislocated jaw. Terrible pain for about 6 months.
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I test postive for it about the same time though I was not ill with mono. Was
    sick that year with the doc said. A girl in our HS had mono then.

Twin does not test positive for EBV from then. Had CFS for 6 years. Slowly
    pulled out of it. Those were very bad years for her but she made it!

Wish we all had!

4. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Way back in 1957. Nobody could figure out how a five year old kid could get mono. But my mother had Hep C when she had me, so there you go! Of course back then, people thought if you were no longer jaundiced, you no longer had Hepatitis. Oh, Mama...sigh...

Soft hugs,
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I don't remember ever having mono but I was sick alot with strep throat and tonsilettis (sp??) when I was in grades 5,6,7 & maybe 8th grade too
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Yes, I had it when I was 14, I'm now 51. I was really sick for about a month, but can't really remember the total time for recovery. That was the amt of time i was stuck at home in bed or on the couch!
  7. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I the Spring of 1966. Had to come home from college and drop out for a year. Slow recovery and it was at that time I started having trouble with "nerves"....panic attacks, afraid to leave the house, low stamina, etc. I did finish college and had a very stressful almost 30 years of teaching and about the time I got sick the work was incredibly wearing and stressful, my mother died after a 4 year battle with cancer, I had to file for bankruptcy, and a very serious 18 year relationship I had with a man I truly loved ended. Wham.... CFS and Fibro and for the last 16 years I have been a shadow of my former self. Am better now than I was for the first 8 or 9 years, but still it lingers and gets worse when there's too much stress, the wrong supplements or drugs or I don't eat right. Vitamin D in the last 2 years has helped me a lot as far as energy and pain and I also take B12, B Complex and a Multi Vitamin. Xanax helpes as well as small amounts of Ultram...used to use Darvocet.
    I test postivie for EBV and Herpes 1 and II.

8. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I had mono when I was 18 years old. I laid low for 3 months and then I was fine. I am now 55 years old.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

More than 90 percent of the population at large will test pos. for EBV. A person may not have "had" mono to test pos. for it. Some have mono with no symptoms and some who test pos. were just exposed to it.

In recent history, researchers have found a connection to some types of breast cancer and EBV. There is likely a genetic component as well because not everyone who test pos. to it gets breast cancer.

Those of us with these illnesses often have chronic stealth Herpes-Family Virus infections, including EBV, CMV and HHV-6. The transfer factors sold here are wonderful at driving these viruses into their latent states. Herpes-Family Viruses never leave the body and can reactivate when a person gets run down, suffers a trauma or gets ill with something else. One of the best know examples is Shingles which is a reactivation of the Herpes Virus which causes Chicken Pox in children.

Another good example is my recent fall where I landed face first on my carpet. Whatever unidentified Herpes Virus I have (not oral nor genital) reactivated and the whole side of my face tingled and was very tender to the touch. I immediately started Acyclovir and it is going into latency. The old saying, "Herpes is forever" rings with truth.

Love, Mikie
  10. Yes, Mono is what seemed to "kick off" my CFS/ME... I got mono in 2004 after surgery (called EVLT) to close down the large vein in my left leg because of varicose veins in that leg. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if that surgery was the catalyst that sent my body into a tailspin. I had mono for a year... my body couldn't shake it. Also tested positive at that time for all sorts of viruses... years earlier when my young daughters came down with chicken pox, I developed shingles although I had had chickenpox as a child. I guess that was a sign that my immune system wasn't normal even before the onslaught of CFS symptoms began years later.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I had mono as a teen and developed CFS 14 years later. My sister had mono also as a teen, however, she does not have CFS. I've known several people over the years who had mono at some point in their lives, however, none of them have gone on to develop CFS.
  12. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I had it in the summer of '74, just after my freshman year of high school. I was 13 years old and almost wound up in the hospital with a ruptured spleen. I was sick as a dog, and slept through the entire summer.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Transfer Factors. They are sold here in the Store but one has to talk with the phone rep to find out which pathogens are targeted by whichever TF one is interested in. TF's are very effective in driving Herpes-Family Viruses into latency. We have a TF Board here but it's not very active. If anyone has questions about them and how they helped me, just post separately and I'll answer.

Love, Mikie
  14. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I had mono in college at age 18 (pretty bad case). Now, I'm 60, still kicking but miserable with CFS/FM.
  15. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I never actually got diagnosed with mono, but developed EBV in 1995 and started to recover somewhat, but keep on going up and down, and now WAY DOWN. I was age 34 or 35, now 50.
  16. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

When I was in my teens I had a case of Mono and it left me feeling to tired and I stll feeeel that way now as well. Now
    along with the fatique I have added pain that does not make me feel good either and I stll hae the extreme fatique as well.
    Dont' know if having Mono so many years ago set off my fibro flare?

So many unanswered questions/