How many have heat intolerance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by freshair, Mar 8, 2003.

1. freshair

freshair New Member

I know we are in winter, but how many of you suffer from heat intolerance? Has anyone found a remedy for this, assuming that all hormones are ok?
  2. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I am the queen of air conditioning lol. All kidding aside. I have a terrible time dealing with the heat and humidity and unfortunately I love in Chattanooga, TN where in the summer time the heat and humidity is terrible. Last summer I only left the house at night because it was alittle cooler. I have trouble with the cold to sometimes but no nearly as bad. I have bad night sweats even when it temp is below zero outside. I have to sleep with a fan on at night because when I get to hot I get short of breath even if i am laying still. The only thing that I have found that helps is keeping the AC on and ceiling fans on all the time. Best of luck to you!!

Gentle hugs,
    Jeanna
  3. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I freeze to death in the winter and I die in the summer. I can't stand the heat or the humidity. I am also sensitive to airconditioners, then I again I am sensitive to the enviroment, from perfumes to fumes to candles and soaps . My husband is a mechanic and has to change as soon as he comes in quite often. But of course he dose not understand. I am also sensitive to noise and vibrations (like when my 12 year old is jumping around like a nut. I guess it is this darn DD we share. Anyone else sensitive to what I listed? Hugs to everyone, Deb
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Mine is due to dysautonomia, which is a malfunctioning autonomic nervous system. My body's thermostat is broken, along with a lot of other problems related to this.

I get cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I just avoid being exposed to the weather extremes by staying inside as much as posssible and avoiding situations that expose me to temperature extremes.

Barbara
  5. LErdman

LErdman New Member

I cannot deal with heat and humidity either. I have to stay in the air conditioning. The cold does not bother me AS MUCH as long as I have on warm sweat pants and can cover up.

I think that is why winter does not bother me as much as "healthy" people. They say they cannot wait to be outside but we have to stay in on nice sunny days if it is to hot!

LErdman
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I get overheated very, very easily. Just can't take it. I keep our A/C set on 68 in the summer and still have ceiling fans, floor fans, etc. going. Visitors to our house can't believe how cold we keep it! I'm lucky that hubby likes it just as cold as I do! I think he's going through the men's menopause! But, I've been hot all of my life. I only leave the house in the summer if I HAVE TO, like to go to Wal-Mart! I love the winter weather (not the snow or ice) but anything cold. I always thought a lot of my heat intolerance was from my lupus. I am so photosensitive that if I go out in the sun or heat, I look like a tomato instantly. I've never worked in the yard because the heat would make me physically sick, too. Then the hot flashs started ... but thanks to Premarin, they are under control now.
  7. ozgran

ozgran New Member

It is @ 25c here today and I am wanting to open the doors and let in the fresh air but hubby keeps closing them again. We have just come through a very hot summer and I have to have the aircon on all day. Hubby comes home and turns them off as he is cold. Great fun!!! Love Ozgran.
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

That's how bad I hate heat. But being in southern California it doesn't exactly get cold, but it does it very humid in the AM since I'm close to beach and that's a killer too. My hubby calls our bedroom (and my office) the cold zone because I always have air on - can't seem to breath without getting fresh circulating air. Hate to go anywhere if it's over 75 degrees...hotter than that makes me weak. I agree 68 is a perfect temp for me but yet if a breeze blows on me I get a chill and need to have sweater. Seems very weird!!
  9. freshair

freshair New Member

i think i have read where there is medication for those who sweat like crazy from thier palms, just wondering if these meds would help us. Has anyone tried any of them?
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

My Mom has FM also....She thinks the only reason why she's been able to keep working is because she works in a cold,cold meat department of price chopper. She said if they were to have her work in the bakery,or anywhere else she could'nt do it!!(due to the FM symptoms)
    I guess i'm the picky one,both heat and cold bother me!
    I hate to be too hot,and I hate to be too cold!Makes me one ornery hag!
    Regards,
    Tracey
  11. oddman

oddman New Member

I came to this site today with intensions of asking the same question. The thought has entered my mind that there may be a relation between FM and heat related problems.

Although I have not been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I have found that I seem to be experiencing symptoms that would indicate that I too am a sufferer. But.... I am a guy!

I realize that men also suffer, but we seem to be in the minority of those who experience this condition. I have an additional complication. I am a firefighter, so I am thrown into very hot conditions quite often. There have been many times that I have been sent home because of overheating. I also get fatigued very quickly because of the physical exertion related to the job.

After hearing about FM, I started researching the condition to find out if this is a possibility for me. As far as my physical conditioning and exercise habits, I work very hard at trying to stay fit although I have found that my peers don't exercise near as much as I do but still seem to have much more stamina.

So much for my rambling....

YES!!! I HATE THE HEAT!!!

Mark
  12. oddman

oddman New Member

Thank you Sunny
  13. tamster

tamster New Member

I too, have always been heat intolerant. My face gets extremely red almost immediately. I usually get a horrible migraine and nausea if I am overheated for too long. Part of my problem is that I sweat very little or not at all. Drs. have all said they never heard of that, and they don't know what to do about it. I rarely go out in the summer and when I lived in Ga. it was impossible. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's burning up!

Tamster
  14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I can't handle it well at all. Showers are almost unbearable. Humidity seems to make it worse than heat alone. I think my hormones are fine since I'm a male ;), and I have not found ANYTHING that helps yet, so I too am looking for suggestions. Good luck to you. Let me know if you find something that works.
  15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The a/c is on summer and winter. I live in Louisiana, and the humidity is horrific. I stay indoors as much as possible in the summer, or my husband gets the a/c going in the car before I get in it, I have a big fan that I keep on the porch so I can at least work in my garden.

I have ceiling fans on the upstair porch so I can work with the potted plants there in the summer too! Talk about a nut with the heat, I though I was the 'Queen' of hating heat, but I pass my crown to some of you on this thread.

I have been living in this house almost nine years and have never put the central heat on. I will put more clothes on, rather than have the heat going, or use the fireplace to get the chill out the room.

Deb, my husband is also a mechanic, before he was made Chief Engineer I would get sick every evening when he came home. He though I was a nut, but finally put a shower in the greenhouse and took a shower before he came in the house, then he had to change the soap (Irish Spring) that started giving me headaches too.
    Even his deodorant had to go, he was using Mennen, he went to the Arm&Hammer without the scent! All his work clothes went to the laundry, never had them in the house.

Now he works for an Oil company and is gone for weeks, then home for weeks. He does not do the work anymore, as he puts it; 'justs points his finger', so no more grease and chemical smell around here. Thank God!!!!

Good thing he does not like the heat either.

I use one of those collars (you put around your neck) that you put in water and they stay cold for hours when I work in the garden. I also carry a small ice chest with water in it if I am going to anywhere.

The cold does not bother me, but I do have to keep my chest warm at all times, as I will have terrible pain, and I catch cold easily.

My daughter came in here Sunday and went running for a sweater, she was freezing.

No, I don't know of anything to take for this. I have been dealing with it now for about 16 years.

Shalom, Shirl

16. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us, but sorry you are having these problems. Being a firefighter has got to be tough if you have a problem with heat, and I sincerely hope you do not have Fibro!

Have yourself checked, maybe it could be something else!

Shalom, Shirl
  17. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I feel really sick if I have to go out on a hot day especially with high humidity..Even if I only go outside my door for a few minutes..But then again, the winter weather bothers me, because I also have Raynold's Syndrome, and my hands and feet are really sensitive...
    I'll stick with spring all year round......I WISH!!!!
    Take Care........Donna
  18. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Yep, that's me! My daughter has been thinking I'm crazy because I'll suddenly be so hot I'm nauseous. This only started a couple of months ago; only diagnosed last month. My thermostat at home is pretty much set at 62 and I have my overhead fans running all the time. Nice to know I'm not alone. I'd be anxious to hear of any suggestions to combat this, too.
  19. freshair

freshair New Member

Yes, i think we all have heat intolerance and the doctors just look at us and tell tell us it is part of the cfids and fms mystery. The problem is, i can go outside, and yes it is hot, but when i come back in the ac house, i just keep sweating and sweating, may even take over an hour just to cool down. I am sure this has something with our brain telling our blood what to do, but heck, who listens to us anyway!
  20. contentedpearl

contentedpearl New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have Lyme Disease, and there is another infection carried by ticks which many people with Lyme Disease have called babesia. It is similar to malaria. It causes fevers, night sweats, and heat intolerance. Antibiotics can be used to treat it. There is a Chinese herb called artemisia which also works well for it. You can do a search at www.lymenet.org for "babesia" and come up with lots of information.

Sincerely,
    Contentedpearl