How many have no sense of smell?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellyann, Mar 19, 2006.

1. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I saw a post on here asking which smells make you sick. I don't have any sense of smell, never have had. I have a limited sense of taste too, I prefer very sweet things or very salty. I kind of think the no sense of smell is somehow related to my illnesses. How many others out there have no sense of smell? One thing that really bugs me is people asking me to smell something, haha!
    Kellyann
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Years of allergies I guess. Very little sense of smell.

My mother had none except about once every 4 or 5 years it would come back. Then she would fry bacon and make coffee and open all her perfume bottles and run out to the garden. It would always be gone again the next morning.
  3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    That is strange that your mom got her sense of smell back sometimes. I probably would run around smelling stuff too if I could!
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  4. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

but....a coworker of mine had lost her sense of smell so she went to her allergist (she goes daily for shots) and he told her to have an MRI just to rule out anything "bad."

A week later, she was told she had a tumor. She is being treated for this and the prognosis is good at this time. Again, not trying to freak you out, but when I read that, it made me think of her.
  5. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

My mom and I both have no real sense of smell. I can tell sometimes if something smells really good or really bad, but not too often. I was never able to smell as long as I can remember. My mom could smell better than I could.

It is funny though because for the past couple of months, I have been able to smell coffee, can smell chocolate very distinctly, and a couple of other things. It was really cool, one day I opened up my coffee canister and was like, wow, that coffee smells awesome. I love the way chocolate smells too. I am amazed that I can smell these things now.

It is frustrating too when people ask me to smell stuff. A lot of times I fake it rather than go through the whole, I can't smell thing. They look at you really funny, and that leads to questions, and it is just easier to say oh yeah that smells good/bad. It is not their fault, but still it is kind of embarrasing to me.

Deena
  6. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I'm overly sensitive to smells of pretty much any kind and the reactions very from sneezing to full blown sickness. Couple of my docs said it's due to my "enlarged sinus cavities" and others says "not sure", but nothing to correct it. Drives me crazy!

My friend's hubby lost his sense of smell and taste in a fall accident many years ago. He said food tastes like candle wax, but he still craves certain things to eat. My friend said at least he can't complain about her cooking!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I do the same thing, just say oh yeah that smells good or bad whatever the case may be. Another thing that irrates me badly is family members who know I have no sense of smell, will come in and saying something like"what is that awful smell" "or don't you smell that propane?" Drives me nuts. I do know that with 6 kids and 2 grandbabies it has come in handy with diaper time, haha! It doesn't bother me to change diapers!
    Take Care!
    Kellyann

p.s. I wish I did have a sense of smell, it would be nice to smell food, flowers, a baby, my husband(I think, hehe)!
  8. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

I was that way most of my life. I had septoplasty done(surgery) to help me smell, it didn't help.

About three years ago a met a psychic online and we became freinds. I told her about me not being able to smell and she said she could help me. She worked with me and the guides, angels and spirits. It had something to do with a past life regression that I didn't know about. It took about six months, but she got me smelling.

I am still learning new smells and trying to remember them. It's still different for me because I didn't grow up smelling, so I can't say " that smells like so and so". I couldn't smell something with my eyes closed and tell you what it is. I do remember some now, like lavendar is my favorite. I also love the smell of my husband. The first time I got to smell him it made me cry because it was so personal.

Halo