How Many Have Positive ANA and Elevated C-Reactive Protein ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 3, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

My ANA is 1:640, C-Reactive Protein is 22.5 both are high..My doctor at first didn't seemed concerned but since the test are staying around the same he wants to me to see another rheumy..
    Which I am still waiting on an appointment..My sed rate is up and down..

I think I have read post that some of you have abnormal labs on these test..So this makes me wonder if CFS and Fibro could be the cause or something else is going on..I know with the c-reactive protien means inflammation not sure what the ANA could be, could be age..

Could it be that CFS/fibro could be an autoimmune disease? Have been to so many doctors and they are clueless..One doc did say that cfs is an unspecified autoimmune disease but I am not sure where he got his info..

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

My ANA was 1:80 and I was sent to the Rheumatologist to get tested for Lupus (autoimmune disease). That is when I was tested for Fibromyalgia. I think maybe Rheumathoid Arthritis might factor in there, too, but I don't have that.

A friend of mine has Scleroderma (an autoimmune disease) and his wife said that at the last meeting for funding for autoimmune diseases Fibromyalgia was tossed out of the mix.

So they are claiming that FMS and CFS are not autoimmune.

Hope you are OK!! LOL, Nanna
  3. mollie55

mollie55 New Member

Hi, I also have a high positive ANA. I have had three tets since Jan 05, and it is still positive as of today. The doctor's have no explantion for it. First they thought it was a sign of Lupus, but it was not. I think that it is connected to FMS which I was just diagnosed with last month.
  4. MKlady

MKlady New Member

My ANA was positive a year ago, which is why I went to rheumy - he did all the autoimmune tests - all negative - and that's when I got the fibro diagn. They didn't have an answer for the elevated ANA...

By CRP is elevated and while my FFC doctor says it's probably related to the reactivated EBV and other infections...I'm still going to ask my primary for a cardiology referral. Too much family history of heart disease.

You're right, most docs are clueless...and there's still so much that hasn't been researched about this stuff...
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

And elevated levels of DS DNA and SS DNA - I have appt with my rheumy this next week and am waiting to see if I may have lupus. I've been worked up twice now for lupus and the rheumy told me once that he thought I had "early" lupus, another time he told me the elevated ANA was because of Fibro, this time??

The levels of DS DNA and SS DNA are unusual for me.

I also have antibodies to my parietal cells.

If FMS doesn't cause inflammation, what does? I think that my rheumy beleives that you only get lupus when you are young. I'm 59. But, I've had symptoms since I was in my twenties, and I know a lady who was diagnosed with lupus at UCLA at the age of 78. My rheumatologist has me on Plaquinal, which is a drug for lupus. Go figure!

Always ?????????
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you for your replies to my post..
    So many of us do have the high positive ANA and the c-reactive protein means inflammation somewhere and they dx us with cfs/fibro there has to be a connection or they are missing something..

Since I have had cfs/mild fibro I have severe allergy/sinus problems could that be a cause of the elevated c-reactive protein, inflammation of the sinuses never thought to ask my doctor..

Thanks again for your input.
    greatgran
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

bloodwork they did. I was pretty scared as it listed Scleroderma, Lupus, some sort of other Autoimmune disorders and overlapping things. I posted here and Cromwell told me to get a "double strand" ANA test done at a different lab. I see my PCP next week and will look into the different test. Cromwell said, and so did the
    bloodwork results, that false positives are common in healthy people too. So it's worth trying the
    other test I think.
  8. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Yet no explanation. I do have Thyroid antibodies, not sure if that can be responsible for the ANA.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

I do not have thyroid antibodies, had them checked about 3 mo. ago..What are your ANA and C-Reactive readings?

Sure would like to find out the cause.

Thanks
  10. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

It has been a while since I had the ANA tested and I do not remember. I know it was high but not off the charts and the same goes for CRP. CRP fluctuates but it is always high. It is odd, but I have not been able to get an explanation. They kind of shrug their shoulders and say that many things can cause the CRP to be high. And since I was tested for a number of autoimmune, like Lupus, Sjogren's and others, and nothing definitive came through, the ANA was not explained. I definitely would like to know, however sometimes I just accept the fact that the drs do not know. But I am pretty sure that one day, few yrs from now, we will know.