How many have problems with TMJ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowaMorningGlory, Jan 25, 2007.

1. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Just curious because I am having my first bout with it today. Boy would I not wish this on my worst enemy!

At first I thought I had slept wrong. I realized yes I slept in my chair for a couple hours last night. (One of those nights where couldn't get comfortable anywhere else, so at 4:00 am I gave up and slept in chair)

Now I realize it is TMJ. Pain radiates from below my right ear to the front of my jaw. Right now it is throbbing. I guess I can be thankful it is only one side!

I am going to go put a warm moist pack on it. I already took a Flexeril and Aleve. Hope it helps. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does having bad teeth irritate it? I am in the process of getting set up for false teeth.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have it you need to eat soft food i grind a lot of mine years ago i loved crunchy food you can find trigger points in your face and massage them for some relief also you can put rice in a sock and microwave it to find the right temp for you and put it on the sore area charlene
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have it! I'm careful about the food I eat because it is so painful to chew.

I never chew gum anymore - that makes it worse.

I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse

I'm curious how many with tmj also have MVP. I've read that they can go together when the issue is a connective tissue disorder.

4. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Is there really a connection?

I did the heat compress and it long as I keep holding it on!

How long does your TMJ last? What I read it said it could last up to two weeks!

I sure hope not!

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Very interesting that you also have MVP.

My TMJ is always an issue. Sometimes it's like what you're experiencing where there's pain all day long, but most of the time I'm just aware of it when I'm eating or talking alot.

Look up MVPsyndrome or MVP and TMJ on google and you'll probably find some info on the connective tissue angle.

6. judieann

judieann New Member

Hello, yes I have it, my right side of my jaw , I have constant ear aches. My jaw clicks all the time and I eat soft foods too!!. Jude,
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

for the past half a year -sometimes when I yawn my jaw sort of does a painful click, and then I have pain in my jaw and ear. Oh great- a new problem. is that TMJ?
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I have this to a somewhat annoying and slightly painful extent, although it gets better and then worse again over time.

It's been especially annoying since I've been herxing on Famvir for the past three months. I don't know why.
  9. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

I have it, too and use a night guard that my dentist made for me. It seems to help. I rarely get that pain in my jaw now.

10. springshower

springshower New Member

Hi Morningglory......Yes,I have TMJ & MVP......My Dentist made a plastic bite guard that I wear at night,it stopped the jaw pain....My dentist said the tmj was caused by grinding at night because I was in so much fibro pain.....I also take a beta-blocker for heart palpitations you & others have the palpitations & rapid heartbeat that requires medication? Springshower
  11. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I used to have intense pain with this 24/7. My jaw started 'clicking' when a dentist kept his whole hand in my mouth for what seemed like an hour. I was only a kid.

My jaw went out of joint when I was chewing about a week after my car accident where the right side of my face plowed into the steering column and the whole inside of the dashboard was cracked and pushed in. Oh my gosh was that painful and it even made a loud grinding noise. Still think I'd have problems with it without this happening. I do have a guard and have never grinded my teeth.

This fall I had to have 2 different tests done where I had to put my mouth around this piece and breathe. Oh the PAIN!!! Try it once with just a straw and see how long you can hold it there!

I had to give up my beloved peanut M&M's (boohoo) because the pain was just too severe and making matters worse.
  12. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

this is what helps me:

no caffiene during a flareup & limit caffiene all other times.
    no gum chewing
    no eatting of jerkey or other tough meat
    don't lick your lips
    limit stress
    eat popscilces when you have a flare up
    eat soft food
    use moist hot treatments to relax muscles--heating pad, or use a dish towel get it completly wet, wring it out & then put it in the micro-wave for 15 seconds. Then wrap the towel around your jaw
  13. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member