how many have thyroid problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ellie5320, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

my dr blames a lot of my ill health on thyroid I wonder how many of us have thyroid problems?
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My Fm and thryoid problems started at the same time. My Dr got my thyroid stabilized but it didn't change anything with the FM.

Eileen
  3. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

4. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi,

I have undiagnosed thyroid problems. I know I do from my temperatures and I plot a temperature graph daily.

I also have TSH of 3.4 which my doc says is normal but it's not optimal for me!

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com is an excellent site about adrenals and thyroid.

Sometimes docs should look at testing symptoms rather than just tests!

Since taking a thyroid supplement containing kelp and l-tyrosine, my temps have increased. I have now stopped for a while as I also have adrenal problems so have to sort those out first.

I can't recommend enough to take your daily average temperatures daily and plot them on a graph like on Dr rinds site, it really helps show you what supplements are helping too.

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2008]
  5. steach

steach Member

I've been taking the generic for Synthroid for several years now.

As someone said in a reply, there are different tests but everyone has their own "optimal" range. I had a book that was written by a doctor and his wife (his nurse) about thyroid tests and it explained about each individual's "optimal" range. I loaned the book to a friend and forget the names of the authors- sorry! I don't think I could remember their names to save my life!

Anyway, the thyroid does have so much impact on pain and fatigue.

Steach
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Been on synthroid for about 20 yrs. When I first began taking the med, I couldn't tell any difference. Now.....I still can't tell any difference because I feel so bad most of the time, due to all of the illnesses I have. I do know that the thyroid controls many things in the body.

You can do a search and look it up if you like.

BlueSky

7. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

My thyroid functions a poorly as it can and still be considered normal.

T
  8. lmn

lmn New Member

Radioactive Iodine in 1994; have been on levoxyl since then. My dr. lowered my dose from 112mcg. to 104mcg. 4 months ago and I have been more tired than usual. Tests last week showed my levels are "perfect" even though I need a nap every afternoon. Must be the FM causing the fatigue.........
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been on Armour thyroid for several years now (I think about 6 or 7, just can't remember)

Many many of us have low thyroid - there's tons of posts about it.

Mary
  10. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I think I've had an underactive thyroid to some degree my whole life as I was always cold when everyone else was comfortable. A few months after the sudden death of my Dad in late 2001 my symptoms became major. I kept testing in the stinking "normal" range, be it the bottom of the range, so nobody would help. I kept working a very physical job very very sick, long story short, crashed in 2004 with major Epstein-Barr, severe Candida, severe adrenal fatigue and I think all from untreated hypothyroid.

I'm on armour and have been since 2005 but the damage had already been done to my body by that time.

Deb
  11. girl31

girl31 New Member

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year ago...I'm pretty young and have no idea how I got it...it doesn't run in the family. I think my fibro started from a car accident (whiplash)
  12. lucky

lucky New Member

and was diagnosed only last year. Although I am on Eltrovin, there is no change and I am still as fatigued and in pain as before. My doctor added Cytomel (T3) which has no benefits so far either. I do not know what else one can take except Armour.

Best wishes, Lucky
  13. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I am on thyroxine
    i had half my thyroid removed years ago and it is stable but I think it also causes a lot of problems
  14. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Ellie,
    Was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 92 and hypo today. I take 120 mg of Armour thyroid.

GigglePoet
  15. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

and I know I am due for another blood test and possibly another change in the dose. My dr. likes me to be tested every 3 months but I can no longer afford to go in that often.
  16. glenpr

glenpr New Member

all my thyroid tests are normal except the para thyroid which is high
  17. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

All my thyroid tests are normal, but I'm convinced I have thyroid issues. My mother had both under and over active thyroid and is still on meds.

One year when I was in my 20's, I dropped 50 lbs over the summer - without changing my diet or lifestyle (I was in my 20's so I drank a lot and ate lots of junk).

I've been freezing my whole life, even wearing 2 sets of clothes to work in winter and gloves in summer (inside office job).

I recently read that having no moons on your fingernails is a sign of thyroid issues - I have none.
  18. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I am hypothryoid. I've tried almost every single preparation there is. So far, the best has been compounded T3 and T4.

I wish they'd stop using the insanely bad TSH test to dose those of us with CFS, Lyme, and FM. It's pointless as many of us have a normal TSH but have low T3 and/or T4.

I'm telling my endocrinologist during my next visit that I will no longer pay the copay if he chooses to run this test.

Be sure to Google stopthethyroidmadness. That's got a ton of great info as does Mary Shoman's books and websites.
  19. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I am hypothryoid. I've tried almost every single preparation there is. So far, the best has been compounded T3 and T4.

I wish they'd stop using the insanely bad TSH test to dose those of us with CFS, Lyme, and FM. It's pointless as many of us have a normal TSH but have low T3 and/or T4.

I'm telling my endocrinologist during my next visit that I will no longer pay the copay if he chooses to run this test.

Be sure to Google stopthethyroidmadness. That's got a ton of great info as does Mary Shoman's books and websites.
  20. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I've had bouts of thyroitis where mine goes whacko and overactive. First bout 18 months after FM diag. Took meds to stop my thyroid for about 3 months. Rest of times I feel underactive, but my test are all normal.