How Many Have To Stop and Rest Through The Day?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, May 25, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Seems I use to have a day every now and then where I could go and stay up most of the day.

Now no matter if I am having a good day I have to take many breaks and rest.

I wanted to put mulch and some plants in the yard. So hubby I went to get what we needed, he got the mulch I picked out a few plants, came home and he was ready to work.

Well, I was ready for bed, so rested and would go out and help for 10 or 15 minutes then rest again.

It is this way with everything I do lately, I am having to rest 3 or 4 times a day, if not in bed all day.

I told him it would be Christmas before I ever finished with the plants. I use to could do all this in a day. Oh, you would think I was landscaping the whole lawn, I am speaking of just a few plants.

My neighbor works full time and worked in her yard all day yesterday, then up and going early this morning.

Seems to be more fatigue, dizziness and the body aches than a lot of pain.

Can anyone relate?
  2. lca

lca New Member

This is a trick question, right? Stop and rest all day, every day. Is there really an alternative life?

I love to be outside planting flowers, but I struggle along, huffing and puffing just to plunk in half a flat of flowers. It took me three days, with the help of my two children to do a small three foot circle of flowers. I would only spend about fifteen minutes at a time, but still my back, legs and neck are aching like you wouldn't believe. Every time I stood up I felt like passing out.

Today my husband and I visited friends who wanted to show off their garden. Now mind you this woman claims she also has Fibromyalgia.

Well, her entire backyard from end to end was an endless variety of flowers, plants, birdbaths, birdhouses, shrubs, bushes, trees, lawn ornaments, ground pots, hanging pots, whirlygigs, statues, you name it, she had it. Oh, and she also cuts her own lawn. All I said was that it was very nice but how could she bend to plant all that. I hesitated to tell her what I really thought.

Add to that she is about 20 years older than me.

Even the simplest of tasks around the house have to be done in parts. Shower, sit and rest. Dry my hair, sit and rest. Get dressed, sit and rest. Unloading the dishwasher I only do the top then come back later for the bottom. You get the picture.

Some days I just accept this as my way of life, but others it really depresses me.
  3. poets

poets Member

I do this all the time. A little here and a little there. I get exhausted. I also know a woman who claims to have FM. I find it hard to believe because she works a full time job and seems to have energy to spare. I never see her appear to have any pain or mention it. Makes you wonder..........
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you so much for your reply, you sound so much like me, sorry.

Don't you just hate it when they can do all those things and say they have fibro, well I find that hard to believe.

My house, lawn etc. never looks like I would like cause I don't have the energy.

Do you have CFS , fibor or both. I do think those of us with CFS gets more fatigued. Oh, how I can relate to those achy legs, dizziness etc. That is why sometimes I wonder if its my heart. Scared to go have it checked, afraid they will find something. I have had a couple of heart work ups in the past years.

Well, our lawns may not look like our neighbors or friends
    but I bet we suffered more doing what we did than what they did.

God Bless,
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have to rest between anything. That's like my entire day. Make something to eat, have to rest. Take a shower, have to rest. Do anything physical in here like trying to clean anything, have to rest. Everything is, "I have to sit awhile." Even if I try to fold some of my laundry. I have to rest in between. I'm thirty-eight and it makes me feel a hundred and eight.
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

I totaly agree with you. I find it hard to believe you can have fibro and manage to do all the things I can't. Makes me doubt my Dx.

God Bless,
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, you have to live this way. You are so young maybe there will be a cure for you in a few years.

8. lca

lca New Member

Yes Greatgran, I have both, all the neurological, pain and fatigue symtoms of both. The heart attack symptoms they tell women to watch out for I have all the time. Many "sub-symptoms" too. Gastroparesis, RLS, reflex seizures, tumors, legally blind in late teens, etc.

The woman I was talking about with the fantasy land garden also works full time plus a part time job as a county supervisor. Go figure.
  9. simplyconnie

simplyconnie New Member

There are days that I am so tired that if I don't rest, I will pass out from exhaustion. I have sat down so tired and fallen asleep and not stirred for over an hour. The worst days are the days mixed with extreme fatigue and pain. I have just learned that I must take as many breaks as I need to make it thru the day!

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, here I go again, trying to keep up with hubby.

He wants to paint the patio furniture, so I thought I would help, I got one chair about 1/4th done then had to rest. The way I feel guess that is all I will do today.

With his long week-end we were going to get so much done on the outside since the weather is so nice. Well, he has done it all, its an effort for me just to go in and out of the house.

Oh, I have managed laundry and have some meatballs in the oven and made some tea now to bed I go.

I want to do so much , what is wrong with my body.

Thanks to each of you for your replies, sorry you suffer.

God Bless,
  11. HA! YES!That is my life. I make the bed, I am worn out. I plant some flowers in a pot and rest. I sweep the kitchen floor with a broom and rest. I unload the dishwasher and may take a break halfway through . Grocery shopping wears me out. I don't take naps but sit down alot in between. I am 61 But fell 101. Life is not fair is it. FIBRO STINKS!
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Greatgran, does your neighbor have CFS and/or FM?

You say you have to take many breaks and rest in your day. My days lately are more about taking a few minutes to get something done because most of the time I'm resting. I try to remember that I WILL have days again where I am feeling closer to well than this.

I like the scale example: on a scale of 1 - 10 with ten being fantastic, right now I'm a 2. Other times I have been a 7 and I'm hoping for that or better again soon.

Edit: You know, we simply cannot compare ourselves to anyone else. I wonder sometimes if that's one of the good lessons of the illness: to learn to love ourselves just the way we are.

[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  13. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

description. We had everything planned out for this weekend as far as planting goes. Then sis-in-law calls on Fri. & asks if they can spend the nite tonite..( So killed myself planting on Sat., Spent Sun/Mon. cleaning b4 they came. I guess some people just don't get it. Now I'm more then exhausted, & have to be polite when they arrive.

Hubby has neuropathy in both legs, & can't walk very well, & his legs get very weak very quickly...So between the both of us, we did one pot, rested & so forth. The same w/the house. Do something, rest, etc. I could just scream....

I get the dizziness, weakness in legs,feet, & gen. all over exhaustion. I do have both f/m & cfs. And recently had an arthritis/fm flare in my knee, & am still limping around w/that. Gaaaaaaads, no relief it seems.

Ok, enough of my whining...Hope you all have a good rest of the day....Just think of me entertaining relatives w/a smile painted on my

14. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I am the same way. I'm new to the boards, but wanted to say that you are not alone, as you've already seen. I can echo fibrobutterfly's words to the tee. I just made my husband and kids lunch and had to sit down. I know my husband tires of me feeling this way. I am 36 years old. I have three children and don't have time for this crap called fibro.

15. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

LOL, fifth, your weekend sounds like mine! I had relatives coming for Memorial Day, so spent Saturday and Sunday cleaning, cooking, and cemetary planting as I have to work full time and crash most nights. Then we had a cookout Memorial Day, and I spent Memorial Night in agony - everything was screaming in pain. And, today, I'm trying desperately not to fall asleep/pass out at my desk. Love these DD's!
  16. MsE

MsE New Member

Hi Greatgran. I can often make it through the day without sleeping on lots of days, but if I do, I'm asleep by 8:00 PM--or at last horizontal!.

This past weekend my oldest daughter came over for a large festival of the arts. We had a great time and saw a lot of the performances, etc. Each evening, while watching TV or visiting, I fell alseep on the sofa.

Now, after several days of company--two of my other children visited part of the time--I'm washed out. Have some fun, the pay the price. I feel l ike I've been run over by a steam roller. It's always that way. I'll spend most of today horizontal I'm sure. MsE

PS. During a bad spell, I hardly leave the sofa. I can expect three days recuperation from this weekend of fun.
  17. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I am older that the rest of you so my DRs.o and "friends" say it is +just my age"!! I use a cane noe and hubby8 uses and walker with wheels so we do look like a pair of "seniors". i don't think that we physically look like that. Anyone remember seeing our pix in my profile---that was taken just 3 yrs. ago.

Gack to the subject______yes, i am in such pain that I do sit down often. No gardening ----but I loved it!! MKy back won't taken any bendking over.

I tried simple cooking yesterday. It just about got the best of me. Then when dishwashing time came, I had to quit in the middle of it and go to bed! Yes, I could have used the DW but some pans needed a good scraping.

I can't seem to do anythying! Myi darling daughter is seeing that we get to GGS's 1st birthjday party. DIL is having a bridaL shower for a very sweet young lady, a true Christian, next Fri. Daughter told DILa during a e-mail chat that it would be nice if one of them could come after us to go to the shower. End of messaging! alked to son yesterday evening who said he could come but hwe thought as "busy" as we had been, we needed the rest. Yah, busy doing nothing. i was crushed!

I'm off the su9bject again. Daughgter game me one of thosee cushions that have the tailbone area cut out and is firm. Great!

i am gitting weary----and it is time for paion meds.

Rest if you have to. That's the only way we can get t hrough it!

\Love to all,
  18. Gee I almost came back and changed my reply as I sounded lazy. But I guess so many feel the same way. And here I used to have all this energy and now zip. It makes me so mad and sad to be like this now.
  19. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

after sitting up too long.

Peace out,
  20. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

Every one of us I should imagine. Cheers TN