HOW MANY HERE HAVE NO HEALTH INSURANCE???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jan 23, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I for one have no insurance, cause I can't afford it, yet make a little too much to get any kind of "assistance"
    This is very frustrating when it comes to prescriptions and doctors visits. Anyone else here struggle with this same thing?????

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have a suggestion - call a insurance agent specializing in health insurance and ask for quotes for a high deductible insurance plan.

This would be for the major illness, not the every day problems. It is better to have insurance with a $2,500. or $5,000. annual deductible and pay a small premium than to have no coverage at all.

If you ever had a major life threatening illness or accident, it would be better facing the large deductible than the hassle of no coverage.

Secondly, if possible, I would look to find a employer who offers health insurance. Many people work just to get the health insurance benefits.

3. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

curious to find out how many there are and how you can survive
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I would never be able to pay a deductible either. 2500 or 5000, there is no way. Also, I am self employed, pay tons of self-employment taxes which leaves me with nearly nothing, so the option of going to work with someone that has insurance, no way. I am my own boss and I would like to keep it that way. Thanks for your input though.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  5. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I don't have health insurance right now. I just cannot afford it and then I don't work either. I am getting a little help from my county, but it is extremely limited. I am lucky now if I get to see a doctor every 5-6 months, it used to be every 3 months.

Yucky stuff!

I just make do and try to do what I can to survive for now.

6. kriket

kriket New Member

Thank you two for your support and understanding. I think it is a little easier for one to realize how hard it is to afford health ins. on someone that has struggled with it.

I barely am able to work now. I have to push myself in order to make myself work, due to the pain and fatigue. It takes all of what I make to barely get by.

I try to keep going, but like you said- I'm just trying to get by one day at a time, hoping that no other major health issues arise. I have more than I can afford now.

Kriket
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Hang in there and I hope things get better for you.

Take care,

Karen
  8. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Hi,

Just general information. For those who don't have health insurance you can always go through almost any emergency room and they can not turn you away. It can ruin your credit if you do not pay them back, but that is all. If you are really not well I would take advantage of that.

Also, if you can't afford it and are truly not well then apply for Social Security Disability. It is free to apply and you can get on Medicare through them.

Just some thoughts!
  9. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I did not have insurance until very recently. During the time I did not have I was able to get prescription help from the drug suppliers and a program called RX Outreach.

I know you said you make too much but have you tried applying to ALL these programs? Some have different limits than others.

Rx Outreach does have a fee for thier meds...it is either $20 or $30 for 3 months worth and they send it right to your house.

There are forms to fill out and your doctor has to sign them but it was well worth it for me to try. Saved me like $500 a month.

Also check out this link https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php
    Partnership for Prescription Assistance

[This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I can certainly empathize with this, the health coverage problem in the US is a nightmare.

I recently had cancer, in addition to FM. And I had one of the costliest cancers to treat, in terms of dollars. My relapse rate is very high; if it happens, I'll need a bone marrow transplant---not cheap. My costs the first time totaled around $200,000, but I had health insurance coverage through my employer. I, of course, had to pay the premiums while I was off work for 6 months, but as expensive as that was, it was better than paying the total cost of my care.

As soon as my treatment was over, I begged my doctor to OK my return to work, even though I could have easily used another month to recover---leukemia treatment takes a lot out of you. But I HAD to keep my job and health coverage, if I want to live. Period. I have no option to quit and take care of myself. This is a deadly cancer with a high relapse rate, and I have this notion that I want to live to see my teenage daughter graduate from high school.

Cancer, heart attack, stroke can attack any of us, and the related costs will bury us, if the disease doesn't. I've had FM for years, but never expected to get cancer, and one of the most expensive cancers you can get. Who does?? We never want to think that way.

There HAS to be a better way for all Americans to get the healthcare, and QUALITY healthcare, they need. People shouldn't have to be be uninsured. I would be dead by now if I hadn't had the treatment options I had by virtue of having coverage.

I worry about those here without coverage of any kind---not only are you not able to get the care and prescriptions you need NOW to deal with FM/CFS and related conditions, but what happens in the event of a catastrophic illness like cancer?

Not sure what the solution is, but a highly developed country like the US should find one and not leave its citizens dead or bankrupt. Hope in the next decade, quality healthcare for all is a reality here.

Hugs,
    Pam
  11. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I was always insured well because I worked for a hospital but since have not been able to work for a year I am no longer insured and yes it is scarey. I am waiting to see if I get approved for SSDI so I will at least get Medicare a couple years down the road.
    I feel for ya!
  12. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Me. When I had to be taken off my parents insurance plan, I wasn't able to get/afford another individual one.

I self pay for all my prescriptions. Luckily, for several I am able to be in the Prescription Assistance plans, which helps a lot. My only very very expensive med is Ambien, which has no generics, and no assistance plans. :(

It's a struggle, but I'm not sure what to do.
  13. beachgirl67

beachgirl67 New Member

I separated from my husband and he cancelled the insurance. I am fighting mad but now with previous cancer and the FM plus migraines, I am now a preexisting case. My attorney told me I could qualify for SSI but since I was a stay at home mom for 15 years, I don't have credits to get it the regular way. My doctor wants me to have some numrous tests again to document in his files that I do have a disability, but I don't have money for the tests! It is really hard to be sick and really can't get the proper help. I have seen a few regular doctors but here in Pensacola, there is only one doctor that takes Fibro patients and she is a year waiting list. any suggestions???
  14. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

We don't have insurance. My hubby has diabeties and high blood presure. We make too much for medicaid but the insurance at his work is too high, plus they say we have pre-existing conditions and wouldn't insurance us anyway.

My hubby is off his meds and the moment and I'm taking over the counter supplements to try and help.
  15. kriket

kriket New Member

So sorry to all with no insurance. It is very hard to deal with, especially since we cannot afford it and they do make it tough to get assistance when you need it so badly.

It is so frustrating when you can't afford it, especially when you are working so hard trying to just get by.

Maybe one day we will all have the assistance we need in order to help us deal with our illness.

Hugs and Good luck to all-

Kriket
  16. kriket

kriket New Member

Thanks for your support. I live way out in the country and there is no such charitable type clinic anywhere around. I have made it this long, everything will work somehow.

Kriket