How many here sleep during the daytime?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Hi all-

I am a night owl no matter what I try to do to straighten out my days and nights. Was wondering how many cannot sleep well at night and actually sleep better in the daytime. I recieve critisism over this and am told I am lazy.
  2. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

it is 4:30 and I am just now getting ready for bed. I get the same reaction from people...lazy...depressed...

and no matter what I can't change it. I usualy go 24 hours at a time w/o sleep right now but that is because my pain is out of control.

I have been this way since I was a teenager and to this day it makes my mother crazy. I am luky that my hubby and mom-in-law are the same way so we on ocassion take trips out at 2am, that is when I do all my shopping.

It works for now because my hubby is a masters student and only has night classes but it will be a whole new story when he finishes.

thank hevans for the internet to keep me company at night!
  3. jinlee

jinlee Member

I usually can't sleep at night at all, even with meds, sleeping pills, etc.

I go to bed at 5 a.m. when my husband goes to work and sleep until 1 p.m. usually. People think I am lazy also and I have given up caring what they think.

I have to get my shut eye when I can. Otherwise I may not sleep for 72 hours at a time.

I am lucky I am able to do this but do feel guilty.

Sweet dreams, getting time for beddy-bye.

4. thenewme

thenewme New Member

Hi Kriket, I seem to just pass out at night, I do spend alot of time wakeing up in pain but I just stay in bed and fall back to sleep. The thing is I have about 4 good hours in me in the morning and then I crash this happens everyday to me I have to lay down for 2 hours even if I don't sleep my body needs a break.

I hate this it makes me feel so lazy I will lay there thinking about all the stuff I could be doing but my body has no energy to do anyting at these times. when I start to feel better I need to have coffee just like morning time and then I start to feel a little better and I get another couple of good hours in.

But there are some days that I am worth total poop and have to lay around all day because of severe fatigue and pain, so I am learning to live my new life this way and am lucky the people that love me understand and do not think I am lazy they know I am sick.

This is more harder on me then anyone I hate haveing to be this way and it makes me feel like a lazy piece of you know what, but I am trying to adjust to this new life the best I can. I feel like I just need to smile and laugh more and try to be fun to be around when I am awake so people will still enjoy my company while I am up.

Sorry about the rambling you take care and you need to do whatever routine sleep wise that works for you and your body and mind, sending hugs Barbara
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, I nap during the day. I've noticed that if I don't, I sleep even less well at night. Evidently I need sleep to turn off my On button.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I went through quite a long period where I didn't sleep either days or nights. I was up for long periods at night, only sleeping a couple of hours at a time. That doesn't work well when you have a job to go to.
    I started taking Topamax and now I sleep at night. Whoohoo.
    I still have to nap during the day as much as possible. Sometimes I don't fall asleep, but I have to lay down and rest.
    I have a room set up upstairs that is so wonderful. =) It gets a nice breeze when the window is open, a nice ceiling fan, I have a wonderful comfy blanket on the bed and a TV if I want to just watch TV. I look so forward to going up there some days! When I close the door I can't hear anything - no phone, nothing going on downstairs...
    My sleep was SO screwed up for so long, I really don't know how I functioned. I feel so much better getting normal sleep. SO much better.
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

It all depends on the CFS. During an exacerbation, I can hardly drag myself off the sofa or bed and fall asleep for hours during the day. When my body is working more or less properly, I don't need to sleep during the day. A lot of variation.
  8. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I am, by nature, a night owl. I prefer to stay up late and go to bed early AM, but I can't do that with three young children.

I get more accomplished at night when I do stay up.
  9. xphile

xphile New Member

I too have a sleep pattern where I usually can't fall asleep until 4 or 5am and I wake up around noon usually. I often fall back asleep saying "I'm gonna lay down for just an hour" This happens around 7pm and the "hour" ends up being 3 or 4. People have questioned my schedule too(as I type this at 42 minutes past noon I'm still in my pajamas) and I'm to the point where I tell them now that my health forces me to have a different sleep pattern and I sleep when I can; if they can't accept me for having an awkward schedule then they have issues. Even the sleep I get in the morning though is restless and full of crazy dreams. Anyway I know what you're going through!

10. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Day/Night sleep inversion is a hallmark of this illness.

As you know with this DD, not everyone experiences all symptoms. Still, many have this one.
  11. Juloo

Juloo Member

Yes, I sleep every chance I can reasonably get, unless I am either taking Xyrem at night (then I won't be sleepy during the day) or unless I *cannot* get out of bed (that happens a couple of times a month).

My best sleep is from about 9 in the morning to noon. Midnight is about when I naturally get sleepy, if I am not already. Most of the times I wake around 6:30 a.m., help get my son dressed, fed and off to school. Then I go back to sleep after my husband has left for work.

That late-morning sleep is sweet, sweet, sweet!

My biggest burst of energy is post-4:00 p.m. until about 11 p.m.
  12. whoachief

whoachief New Member

really sleep during the day with my kids BUT I sleep MUCH BETTER during the day than I do at night unfortunately. IF I could sleep days & stay up nights I ABSOLUTELY would.
  13. krsmom

krsmom New Member

I sleep whenever my body tells me to. I do fairly well at night as I take a med that makes a huge difference. If I stop them, I stop sleeping completely. Even with sleeping nights I can go through periods of time where I do nothing but sleep. A recent family 3 day getaway found me sleeping the entire time. I felt so bad but in my defense I had just finished taking my college finals. Then packed up a family of 5. I have CFS also so it was the typical push-crash cycle. My familly is very supportive thank goodness and no one would call me lazy as when I feel good I am a real go getter. Unfortunately I feel bad alot.

I have two teen girls so it doesn't stand out so much when I sleep lol. Those two stay up all night long and sleep all day long. It is normal teen biorythms so I don't worry about it. At least I blend in lolol.
  14. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I sleep a good 3 hours or so in the afternoon around 2ish. I usually go to bed around 12:00 am and get up around 8 but I need my nap every day.
  15. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

I fall asleep between 2 and 4 am no matter what and don't get up til the same time 2 or 3 PM the next day...

My DAN doctor says it is a symptom of the immune system problems - I agree - because I used to be an early riser with no problem before this DD.

God Bless,

16. kriket

kriket New Member

Was nice to read all of the feedback. I can relate to each and everyone of you. I take med. to sleep at night and if I do not ake it, I do not slepp at all. Sometimes I will crash for like 15 hrs. and then I will not sleep good the next day. I do agree that we sleep whenever our bodies let us sleep. That id what I tell my family as I know some ppl cannot get hardly any sleep in at all.

I usuallt sleep from 5-6am-2-3pm. I work weekends and crash afterwards.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

17. hi all,

during my current flare up of fibromyalgia,i am falling asleep quite alot in the daytime.

im not going to fight against it,like i did in the past.

then hopefully ill recover from this flare in a few months time.

we can hope cant we?

love fran
  18. willas

willas New Member

I get my best sleep from about 3 am until about 10 am, but, since I work, I can't keep that schedule. I do take a nap during my lunch. Even 30 minutes makes a huge difference in my energy level, focus & mental attitude.
    Instead of feeling guilty, when someone gives me a hard time, I quote a study done recently stating that napping during the day reduces your risk of heart disease related death by like 37%, so my naps are for my heart health. They can't argue with that.
  19. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Wish I could sleep when I want - but then I'd be asleep most of the time. I found many years ago that if I don't set an alarm, I'll wake up 12-18 hours later (of course, I'll wake up briefly dozens of times in between). And since I feel as awful when I sleep long hours as when I sleep fewer hours, I always set an alarm.

But, ever since I was around 11 (when I got this DD), I switched from a morning person to a night person. I have zero problem staying up til the early morning hours of 2 and 3, but force myself to go to sleep at 1 as I need to get up for work.

I know so many morning people that can't stay awake past 9pm and that automatically wake up at 5 or 6 am. Wish I could do that! I actually have to get up 5:30am Saturday and am already dreading it as I never get to bed before 1:00am, use Saturdays to sleep in from the work week and try to recover somewhat, and it will be a long day where I leave the house at 6:00am and return home at 10:00pm. That day should damn near kill me!
  20. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I've been a night owl as long as I can remember. As a teenager I would stay up all night sewing and then sleep most of the day. But the work-a-day world doesn't work like that and I struggled for years with getting up on time. I cut class a lot in college (still managed to get awesome grades) because I couldn't get up. I wanted to apply for a 3rd shift job where I worked (in college) but my mom said "I'll not have you sleeping all day". I'll never forget when my mom told me I disguted her. She is the original up at 3am workaholic.

I would sleep all of the time if I could and most weekends I do. But I'm still working so I to push myself to manage a full day. My boss is very understanding and even though I work 9-6, some days it is 9:30 and some days I start the day from home and come in a few hours later. Fortunately I have the type of job where I can do my work from home.

I'm usually up all night on the weekends watching TV and then I sleep all day. I've given up caring if people think I'm lazy or not. They need to live one day in our shoes and they would understand!