How many here 'were' type A personalities?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lawbrat, Aug 4, 2006.

1. lawbrat

lawbrat New Member

I say 'were', because with this DD I feel like i'm nothing anymore. I read here alot, but dont post too often.

This DD has taken my life. I dont like it one bit. I went to a pain clinic 2 weeks ago. They told me I have degenerative discs in my neck and thats whats causing all my pain. My primary doctor said fibro.

The pain clinic put me on steroids and took me off pain meds. I was in bed for a week b/c the pain was so bad I couldnt even move.

Then, I called my primary and he called in a script for pain meds, thank God. I'm supposed to go back to the pain clinic for an epidural injection in my neck in 4 days. Will it help? I don't know.

When I called the pain clinic before calling my primary they asked me if I took Aleve for my pain. I laughed and cried at the same time. ALEVE???? Yea, i've been on narcotic pain meds since last october and aleve is going to help. (I did actually try aleve, took 5 instead the 1 and it did nothing).

I've been taking soaks in espom baths pretty much every day. It does help. I have a few hours of being able to do things- like laundy, clean the house, and take my kids to do things.

I just want my life back. To be 'normal' again. I've tried so many things that just dont work for the long term.

I have 2 more things to try. One my Uncle recommended, some type of specialized chiropractic thing- my chiro does that so thats the next step. Then, something called prolotherapy. Its an injection into the bad areas that stimulate growth of the injured ligaments and tendons.

Going from a 'do it all' person to this just depresses me to no end.
  2. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

From what you said about the epsom baths helping, I think pressure point massage would help a lot. I don't have the fibro part of CFIDS/FM and don't have any specific information on where/what to do for pressure point massage, but I'm certain someone else will post something about it. Either way, good luck!
  3. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

"Going from a 'do it all' person to this just depresses me to no end."

Odd that you ended your post with that because I just told my husband the same exact thing.
    H
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

and still have a Type A personality. I drive myself and those around me insane because it's my way or the highway...LOL

My personality hasn't changed with FMS oh sure I've had emotional changes galore but as far a personality-I am still me.

I just move a lot slower at times, think a little slower at times, and seem to get sick a lot more often than I used...sigh

Thanks,

Karen :)
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

but didn't realize I was one. I have been working on giving up being a perfectionist and a workaholic for the last 20 years.

It gets easier once one retires.

6. jane32

jane32 New Member

I just said the same thing to my hubby last night.

I think if I were a type B this would not be as hard...who knows?!

I justb had way too many dreams...and feel stuck in a body that is not mine,
  7. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

I was a Type A for sure. I still try to be when I am not tired or in pain....
    Scotlandrose
  8. Santafemimi

Santafemimi New Member

Doesn't it seem a little odd that quite a few of us are type A personalities, and afflicted with the same desease? Maybe there is a link there!!! I know that I am a classic Type A +++ personality. If I was doing 3 things at one time, I didn't feel that my life was fulfilling enough. I still feel that way, but there isn't much I can do about it. The fatigue and pain is too much, and doesn't allow me to do any more than work a full time job. Even that is becoming too much now, not sure how long I will be able to keep that going.

I too wish for the days when I was my "old" self.
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm with Rokgor, it does get easier once you retire.

I just do everything a lot slower. A project that I should or use to be able to do in day or two might take week or more. Like my recent drywall mudding of my last bedroom.

I am still the same basic person but appreciate life more.
    If I had to work I know I couldn't do it and I commend those of you who still have to work.

Yes i miss the things I use to be able to do, especially pool. I was a serious contender in the nationals. I just celebrate what I am able to do and not what I can't do. I don't always succeed. It does hurt to know you have been robbed of many years of normal living.

Maybe only a chosen few have been able to slow down and smell the puppies, as greebbean says.

I don't ask why, just why not. carla
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

Over-achiever, supermom, superteacher, had to do it all. I was interested in everything and wanted to try everything.

I do appreciate life more now as Carla said. I never had time to sit and watch the clouds or the birds before I got sick. Now I literally take time to smell the roses - and all the other flowers.

But I am older and have been sick 13 yrs. My boys are now grown and I have help from my DH.

I don't know how you cope on your own with young children and being a student. It is a different situation entirely.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  11. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I guess I am a type A. I want my house to be clean and organized all the time. I expect myself to be on the ball and perfect at work. I want to be a great mom and cook healthy dinners. I want to do it all, but with my FM, that is impossible.

I've had the diagnosis for almost 10 years now. One would think I would learn to relax and be easy going, forget about the chores and perfection, etc. But it is hard.

Now that I can't do everything to the standard I would like, I just get angry and upset. I'm afraid that makes me a terrible wife. Stressed out all the time and making life hard on my husband, who tries to be so understanding.

Any advice???
  12. Astarte

Astarte New Member

This new Rheumy is awesome I saw 2 days ago. He's in the south Denver area. Maybe he can recommend someone for you where you are that feels the same way about our conditions.

I can feel your depression, you seem like you've lost yourself, just like I had. I won't be the same, I've come to realize that. But only recently. But life hasn't ended, it's just changed to a new chapter. The chapter may totally suck but the one after may be a dream come true. Who knows?

In the past 7 weeks, I've realized life can be allot worse. We took in a homeless teenager who's mom abandoned her for crack. She is our son's girlfreind and she was living in a car for over 2 weeks before coming to our home. We now have temporary custody of her. She's been through allot,

I get through allot for her and my kids. She's my kid now too. I now have 4 kids...24, 16, 15 & 8. WOW! Her and I spent so much time talking and crying together the first few weeks, I still cry because I can't imagine life without her now. I love her like she's my daughter. It is possible. If I can find the power to fight for her, I'll find it to get through FM. I won't be cured, probably won't be the same, but I will celebrate my good days.

Not sure about type A personality, that's probably not me by a landslide. If anything, I'm not a typical any personality. I'm the most unpredictable person you can ever meet. Thinking about it, no one I know is predictable or A type. Sponaneous is my middle name. Like what I did with my hair, just decided to dye peacock blue streaks in it today, just because it's something I'd never done.

And it's fun to get a rise out of people, get reactions, and see what strangers say. It's pretty cool. I love to see how differnt people will treat you when you wear certain clothes, dye your hair, have kids or don't have kids etc...the general public is pretty A typical.
    Star
  13. srollins

srollins New Member

big time "A", i miss the "old me" and constantly have to remind me that there are people out there that are worse off and would love to trade places. somehow it gets me through. thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn there are days that i do give into it and indulge myself in a little self pity.

shirley
  14. lawbrat

lawbrat New Member

...to this post. I can identify with so many of the comments here.

Wanting and doing it all, then cant anymore. Pushing more and more to take on more and more and be the best. Now, its just wanting to be 'normal'. To ride my bike with my kids, go for a walk, have fun.

Just meals are an accomplishment now a days.