HOW MANY HOURS CAN YOU GO BEFORE THE FATIGUE TAKES OVER?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Butterfly_of_grace, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

I was curious...
    what is everyones daily thresh hold of energy vs. fatigue? What time of day does your fatigue set in and for how many hours can you function normal/semi-normal before it kicks in and kicks butt?

I figured out mine. I was in tears when I was tlaking to hubby about it.

Lately, for a few weeks now, mine is about 5 hours of energy...thats it on a dialy basis from 8:00am until about 1:00pm. So for about 19 hours a day I CANT function normal because I feel so exhausted and feel like it completely takes over me.
    I have noticed I have been slowly eating less and less because im so tired and I have no appetite. Im so tired by the end of the day that by bedtime (around 9pm)...I lay in bed crying silent tears because I feel like I just cant keep up. My poor hubby "misses" me so much and I feel SO BADLY about it...yet hes been so understanding ( I have NO SEX DRIVE AT ALL..which has never been a problem with me...sorry so personal, but its really scaring me). HWat in Gods earth is wrong with me? Am I going nuts?

This has been the worst its ever been. Im alarmed aome what and hubby is too. He thinks I should get some blood work done. Me, personally, I think its fibro/CFS kicking butt, the change in season which I ALWAYS feel and the stress thats eben going on (not to mention trying to keep up with the 4 kids UGH!).

Im so frustrated. By 4pm Im really at my worst that I have been skipping dinner and feeding everyone else because i have no appetite for a few weeks now and Im just too tired to even eat. I sit at the dinner table, hand on chin holding my head up, yawning away and listening to the conversation but Im so tired it sounds like everyone is a mile away from me as they all talk.

Is this normal? SHould I be alramed? I cant take this anymore.
    Whats eveyr one elses energy threshhold?

thanks for reading this. Id appreciate everyones input and every ones leses "stats" on this matter.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2006]
  2. cczub

cczub New Member

My threshold is about 5-6 hours before the fatigue kicks in hard and it's really tough to get anything done. I work full time and by 12-1pm I'm dying. THis is on 8-10 hours of sleep. Anything under that I'm good for no more than 4 hours.

I've been having the problem lately too with appitiete... Some days it's there, others I have none. I have skipped a bunch of dinners over the past 2 weeks. I think part of it is from stress(work and home) as well as felling generally worse over the past 2 weeks.. I think all this is causing some mild depression(which I should probally talk to my doctor about). I'm not saying you're depressed(as I hate it when my old doctor always aksed me that) but it could be. It's hard not to have some depression from always feeling crappy and being stressed because you're not getting stuff done and you can't do what you want/need to get done.

I hope this helps. GOod luck and keep us informed.
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I'm good for about 2-3 hours..I swear this is the truth.

Love to all, Ann
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think I have about 4-6 good hours per day, on average.

However, it's sort of like a savings/credit account.

If I do things for 4-6 hours each day, I'm usually okay.

If I go over the 4-6 hours in one day, I've got to make up for it at some point in the near future by (say) not doing anything at all for a few days.

The amount of days I can go without "crashing" depends on a variety of things, including my motivation. But regardless, I've still got to do my time in bed later on to make up for it.

I'm not absolutely sure that spending extra time doing nothing (e.g. only doing 1-2 hours of stuff on days when I'm thoroughly rested already) is always helpful in allowing me to do more things later, but I think it is. Recently I've found myself saying things like "I've got to rest now because I've got that trip coming up".....and the activities (e.g. that trip) seemed to go better as a result.

5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Butterfly, your post sounded so familiar to me. A few months ago I,too, was counting the hours of energy vs. fatigue. I should have slowed down and realized that it was my body warning me that I should rest. Instead, I kept pushing myself during those hours when I was feeling better because I knew a crash was coming.

I am not saying that this is what you are going through. You should definitely listen to your inner voice.

I didn't slow down and now I am worse than ever. Most days I am lucky to have one hour of productive time for cooking or washing clothes, etc. The rest of the time I am in bed or on the couch. I am housebound. It now takes me several days in bed to have maybe 4 good hours.

If you think you need to be checked by a doctor, do so. I have FMS and CFIDS. I know that for me it is the CFIDS that is causing this overwhelming fatigue.

I'm so sorry that you are feeling so poorly. I know the feeling well and I know the tears you cry.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

My morning begins at 5-6am and I need to have til about 8am to get loose enough to shower...Then showering takes some of the energy I guess I gained while sleeping (only a few hours), then errands, household chores, paperwork, on here, etc. til about 11-11:30, then blam!

My husband always looks at me around 11 and eventually gets nervous enough and says "that's it, it's witching hour"...

Usually we have lunch around noon and I always wish it would bring me a bit more energy so I can plan to do anything productive in the afternoon, but that hasn't happened yet...So all afternoons, like now, are fogged (just as I typed that word, I realized I am going down for the count)...By now I am usually on the couch but thought it was important to respond to my posts...

So my answer in short is 2-3 hours of getting the most done with the most brain power and the most energy...

SAD :(

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  7. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

Majority of people who have answered the average is about 4-5 hours...intersting pattern.

I also agree with the "banking the energy" statement....taking more out one day leads to less the next and so on. I have also noticed this pattern with me.

It gets so frustrating NOT being able to function. Im EXHAUSTED right now...got home from work around 1:30ish, just finished lunch and POW Im POOPED...and 4 kids will be arriving in less then half hour....no down time for me UGH!

I also notice that when I get up in the morning I cant just POP up out of bed like I use to. I suually get the kids up and pack lunches etc,. By the time the 3 middle schoolers leave for the bus in the morning I only have one child left to get on her bus which si the late bus at 8:50am....Im barely ready for my shower about 7:30ish(I have to no choice of course, gotta get ready and go to work). I then begin getting myself ready and the last child finished getting ready.

ANYWAY...I only get about 7 hours of sleep a night...that is, if you can call it sleep...I must wake up a million times and at least two weeks out of every month I barely sleep at all (I think I have hormonal issues on top of all this too). My mind becomes a freight train at night once everyone is sleeping...mines going a miollion miles a minute even if Im exhausted!

well..Id love to see more responses here. This question is really interesting to me...thanks to all who have already responded.

I really want to analyze the trend with Fibro-CFS patients

8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Butterfly:

I am good from 11am til 6pm. And that is about all.
    Sometimes i push earlier or later and some days I do not push at all.

nyrofan
  9. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Right now I am not ever "good".

I haven't been out of the house for 3 weeks except for the ER, and 2 Dr visits. I'm forcing myself to shower every other day, and when my husband is gone I have to let out the dogs, take care of the horses (which is easier than it sounds) and heat up food for myself. I wear shoes so rarely that they feel weird when I do. I also try to check email and this board for brief periods because I'm sore from laying down all the time.

In between I am in bed or on the sofa. So I would say I'm active for about 3 hrs in short bursts throughout the day.

10. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in this world that fizzles out!! Thanks for all of your input! I get reminded that I am not the only one out there that can't get up at 5 am, work 8 hours, go to the gym, grocery shop, take the kids to soccer and cook dinner with a smile!
    I am currently unemployed after a very difficult work situation. I look back at those days of 8 to 5 and then taking care of my two sons...I don't know how I managed!!
    Being a single parent makes it tough getting things done, but not sleeping, hurting and not laughing is worse!
    Now, my days start at 6 when I get the boys up, make the lunches, breakfast and get them off to school. Then I collapse for a few hours!
    I am serious! I don't nap, but I sure don't do anything! I get motivated about noon and then take care of the house till two thirty when they start coming home again!!
    Boy....What did I do when I had energy???
    Braidie
  11. Gernmeinschatz

Gernmeinschatz New Member

I have about 2 hours before I start sliding downhill, and it is a fight from then on to get through the day, and the price I pay for the fight is tremendous.
  12. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

4-5 hours and I usually have to lay down. Some days, a lot less than that. That's a GOOD day.
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It depends on how well I slept. It depends on what I'm doing (alone I can go longer than if with people). It depends on what I've eaten (no sugar or stimulants). It depends on what's on my mind.

On average I get about three to four "good" hours in before I fall flat. Another, lesser spurt some afternoons, depending on the above.

By the way, you're pretty young but I'd still get my hormone levels checked. I'm betting on almost no testosterone which we girls also need a bit of.

Marta
  14. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

On a bad day when i'm sore to start with and don't really get any pick up at all, i have maybe an hour and half that i can push before thats just it.
    On a normal day, maybe 4 hours. And then resting for at least an hour, maybe 2, and then i'll have maybe another hour and a half.
  15. CrystalRose

CrystalRose New Member

4-5 hours seems to be the trend. With me it depends on getting the right kind of sleep. Taking Ambien CR right now. Don't have to every night, I just seem to know that it going to be one of "those" nights, so I take my meds to help me. I have a great Dr. who believes me and believes in me. That is a HUGE blessing. Talk to your doc and see if he/she will help you with your sleep. Of course, there are a lot of other meds most of us need to take, but I think we'd all agree that when we don't get the right kind of sleep at night that it makes for a miserable day. Good luck...