How many kinds of FM fatigue are there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Sep 22, 2009.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I seem to keep discovering more all the time. From the cement limb feeling to the falling asleep on your feet feeling to the fever aches it just seems to keep changing. Describe yours if you will. I am interested to hear what others experience.

2. loto

loto Member

how many different types of fatigue we FMer's have. I used to just be "tired". Now for the past month I have been feeling totally drained, sleepy by lunchtime, and I also get the achiness that just suddenly comes on without warning. It's getting me down a lot. I didn't think FM gets progressively worse, but it has been for me. Unless I have some other underlying condition. I'm waiting for a referral to see an endocrinologist to get my thyroid checked out thoroughly. I do have some symptoms of having a sluggish thyroid. So I'm actually hoping something will be wrong with it, and some type of med will take care of some of this terrible fatigue I've had.
    I'm like you, also, I keep discovering new "symptoms" of this crazy FM!
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

When I first got sick, it was the feeling of never having slept. It was horrible. The first week, OMG, I couldn't understand why I felt like I didn't sleep. I had to go to my cousin and uncle's double birthday party, they always celebrate on the same day because their birthdays are during the same week. And I was just dying. I remember that I felt like I had never slept and I was deep into the cotton head feeling and couldn't make conversation at the party. No one knew how sick I felt. I remember sitting at the table to eat and I was having trouble lifting the fork. I didn't tell anyone. But it was scary and bad.

After that, it progressed to where I ended up bedridden. The scary feeling of having trouble forming thoughts because it took energy that was not there. Having trouble just breathing because that, too, took energy that wasn't there. Didn't have the energy to turn over in bed or to lift my head.

There are definitely different levels of fatigue.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That's kind of a tough question.
    I go through different phases of fatigue. Sometimes my body is SO tired I can't hold my head up, literally, but my mind is awake. Sometimes it's the reverse.
    Often times I wake up at 3 am for the day. WIDE AWAKE. I go to work, sometimes make it home fine, other times, think I better pull over and call my husband because I can barely keep my eyes open. Some evenings I literally, grunt my words. My husband has learned what they are by the tone of the sounds I make. He knows what I mean what I "hum" "Can I have a drink" for instance without ever muttering a word. I'm too tired to talk.

It varies for me from day to day. There have been weekends that I seriously spend it with my eyes open for a few minutes, then closed, nodding off for a couple of hours and the cycle repeats. I spend almost every weekend on the couch. I know I need to get up and out, but it's the only time I have to truly 'do nothing'. I'm overwhelmed during the week with the list of what I HAVE to do.

I see commercials - saw one the other day for Sandals beach resort - people out enjoying themselves and I thought "I want to do that!, I want to live, to enjoy myself, to have the energy to do those things!"
    I watch Dancing with the Stars and I'm jealous that they can move....the flexibility. I always loved to dance.
    I'm just rambling now....sorry.

Wish I could be more descriptive for you. I guess it's hard.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Yep, I get that weighted down feeling where my body is drained. I am not sleepy, per se, but I feel like I can't move around. then I get the sleepy feeling where I feel like I cannot keep my eyes open. Like you, I have wondered, should I pull over and call someone, but of course I don't cause that would be a pain and I don't think my dh would be too happy about it. Even though he "gets it" somewhat, I can see how it would be hard to understand so tired you have to pull over in the car. There are so many levels it is weird.