How many Males VS Female " Here"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by icare, Aug 11, 2005.

1. icare

icare New Member

I have heard the ratio is 10 female to 2 males get CFS/FM
    I was wondering how many Males are on this Forum and is there any from Canada.
    I can remember my first Support group meeting,I walked in and there was 20 females and then Me.
    I guess if it was in any other place it would be a good thing..LOL

Rick
  2. mitchsta1

mitchsta1 New Member

I'm a dude and still haven't been formally diagnosed with FMS, but went to see a rheumy. When I first went in to see her, she said she did not believe I had Fibro. That was the first thing I mentioned to her when I went to see her. Then after doing some blood tests and some x-rays, I went back to see her and she totally forgot that I had mentioned Fibro to her, and she asks me if I'd heard of Fibromyalgia, and I was like "yeah, that's what I first mentioned to you when I saw you first". So she says that I may have it and now I'm just waiting for our next appt. to have her give me the official dx.

I think she was a little doubtful at first because I am a guy and only 27. I'm not all that sure that I've seen many younger males with FMS on here. But the statistics on females vs. males with Fibro, there seems to be a pretty wide gap in percentages. I've seen reports that say anywhere from 5% - 20% of FMS sufferers are male. Can anyone clarify?

Michael
  3. icare

icare New Member

I have only met 2 guys that have this illness and one of them got better,well he said he was about 70% which is pretty good in my book.

AS i mention i had seen many many Drs over the last 9 yrs and i can remember about 2 yrs after i got this, i was still searching for answers, and seen a rheumatologist, and ask him if i could have CFS/FM and he looks at me, picks up my file and says" There is no test for that" That was in 1997 and it took me to 2001 to get a diagnoses.

So Drs can be very difficult and ignorate.I think you are really lucky to get a diagnoses in less than 2 yrs.
    To be fair there has to be alot of tests done, to rule out other illnesses.

I keep think about the people that got this illness many years ago ( Before the Internet) They probably didnt have alot of luck finding answers to there questions.It must have been very frustrating.

Willis do you have any weakness in your arms, that effects your playing.I have a bit of weakness in both arms but i can still make it through a song.Its a good thing i dont play drums.

I have several guitars i bought over the years..Bought a new 1982 lespaul custom, but then started liking the sound of the hollow body electric so i bought a few of them.

I will post a picture of the Gibson , if i can find one.I came close to buying a strat USA Aniversary model a few years back and then i got this illness and had to leave work.
    Boys and there Toys (relieves stress )

Rick
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
  4. Gabor

Gabor New Member

Rick and Willis...I am male,53 years old and also have been to the support groups and there are mostly woman ...I too am a guitar player and have been for many years on stage and a private teacher..Also a carpentor and upholster for 16 years...
    Wonder how many musicians have fibro?...
    Can no longer play guitar for a long time as the fibro/cfs has done me in and my arms and hands are too weak..can no longer work either...i was with fibro in my 20's and got no dx until i was late 40's...back in the 70's and 80's all my problems were in my head according to the great doctors i saw and there have been many,many...
    Been to rheumys with all kinds of nonsense answers too...One told me to excersize and i would be fine...Wanted to lift him up :<)
    I just keep on my course and never doubt myself and my fibro problems when it comes to the doctors....I have also had short remissions along the way,but now no good days and i have tried all the silver bullets and fibro fixes to date..I think age has a lot to do with less remissions... I accept the facts and deal with my trauma and still hope for an answer...My better half is my super advocate and i am lucky to have such a fighter on my side....All the best....Tom..
  5. nina2

nina2 New Member

I read your post and found it to be interesting.

I too have dealt with Workmans Compensation, I'm an established case with them since "95".

It took me a couple of years but even the comp doctor came over to my side at the end and agreed to my disability.

I have a total which is about a 75% disablement for not being able to work the job I formally worked as a nurse.

My actual injury was pulled and torn ligaments( from lifting) which held my vertabrae in place which in turn caused degenerative disk disease.

It was not a tough case as nurses are high on a list of occupational injuries .

I miss my job and wish I could go back to work as a pediatric nurse. I loved my job and worked very hard at it.

W.C. will definitely give you a run for your money.

They actually had pictures of me carrying 10 tacos out of the local Taco Bell. lol I kid you not. They really gave it their best.

All in all, the proof was in the pudding and I have been compensated for my injury.

I keep trying to get around the surgery needed but I won't be able to put it off indefinately.Now with the fm,it's all so much worse.

Just wanted to let you know that I am one who has been down that road and I relate and know it's not an easy one.
    Hope all works out well for you.

And to all you fellas , welcome aboard , great to have you here.

nina

6. Gabor

Gabor New Member

Willis,Endicott is 9 miles west of binghamton...i have been in utica a few times...the utica club brewy tours...good beer...been through the drinking and divorce also... Trauma does not help our condition,old or new..I think mine came from the marine corps... Once you get the fibro thing all new traumas make you worse and worse...Stress of being breadwinner and not being able to work and deal with life on a normal basis just keeps you down..also pain and lack of real sleep and all the people that doubt your condition eat at you..Being the man we are not supposed to be weak or sick,so we try longer and harder to keep up the normal thing and we end up even worse for it...I just got shot down by the Veterans evaluation compensation board again,they say fibro doesn't exist...hope all of them get it..They will then come to me for help and i will tell them they are fine..I do not go to fibro clinics as we do not have one here..only support groups..I take no meds...I use vitamins and amino acids to get along and bed rest when i am too weak for anything,keep positive mental attitude...My better half helps me much..without her i would be a basketcase...All the best...Tom..
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2005]
  7. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I do not post often, but have to say that your sense of humor has always cracked me up. When I read where you pulled your doctor's tie when he poked you, I nearly had pop come out my nose and onto the screen! You are a total hoot!
  8. icare

icare New Member

SSD ( USA) and CPP ( Ca) they all play the same games.
    They save millions by refusing people the first and second time and even 3rd., becuase there is a certain % that do give up, and there counting on that..Took me over 3 years and i too had to get a lawyer.I was the only one bringing in a income with a wife and two teenagers, and test after test was coming back ok..That was so stressful.
    I worked as a superviser in a Manufacturing plant for 13 yrs..I do believe the stress was a trigger for this illness.

You really have to wonder if having video camera's pointed at your home is legal.What ever happen to a persons privacy.
    If they where in front of my house i would find the strongest and largest light possible and shine it right at them.

Willis , People say Gibson Guitars are not being made like they use too..I new Custom in Canada is about 3600.00 too
    I bought mine for 1800.00 w/case in 1982 and that was alot.
    Like you when my health started to slide, the money went into of therapy and medication, that didnt help.

Rick
  9. nina2

nina2 New Member

You must know that Insurance companies do not want to pay.

This is why they put you through it.

It's all just protocol and they put you through it in hopes you"ll just give up.

Same holds true for SSD.

It's just a matter of time,so just be patient.

They can't dispute your doctors reports,x-rays ,CT,MRI and the nice thick files we seem to accumulate through all this.

You can't imagine what a tremendous relief it will be when you win your case and this is finally over.

Hang in there stevie,
    nina
  10. willwork4shoes

willwork4shoes New Member

I have played the guitar and piano since I was nine - am 45 now.

Stick around guys - we need your input too!

hugs,
    Will
  11. tcluna

tcluna New Member

male here in 20s
  12. bct

bct Well-Known Member

There are certainly more than six men here!

Maybe we (I'm a guy) just dont chit-chat as much as you gals!

You are not alone Rick.

Good health to all sexes.

Barry
  13. 57Wagon

57Wagon New Member

I am a 46 year old male from BC Canada
    I was diagnosed with CFS in Oct 18 2005
    One of the first doctors I seen (who doesn't believe in CFS) said I just needed more romance in my life and I should also take up running and I would be fine. LOL

I too was also wondering how many males were here
  14. spmary

spmary New Member

Me female. Glad to have male imput
  15. buddylee

buddylee New Member

37 year old Male , I've heard that it more of a 50/50 ratio ,
    but , but men often just shrug it off.... also men are able to ignore the pain.

thier is lots of info for men at :
    http://menwithfibro.com/
  16. abbylee

abbylee New Member

He was in an auto accident in the 1970's and developed CFIDS shortly therafter.

He was preaching at a small country church when this happened. He and his best friend were taking a church member to the mental hospital in a nearby city when the church member reached over the seat and turned the car into the path of a truck.

The pastor's best friend was killed, the pastor injured, and the church member had no injuries.

After the pastor was unable to preach, the church replaced him and he moved to another state and retired.

This was in the time when CFIDS was "not real" and the church members got tired of him not coming to church and doing his job. Imagine that.

The last time I saw him he was wheelchair bound.

abbylee
  17. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

It would be nice to get the view of a male with chronic disease, then we can pass the info on to our ignorant husbands (okay, that sounds mean, I know). Maybe for once, they will believe that us females are REALLY sick!

Keep posting guys!!!

Jennifer
  18. GARY700

GARY700 New Member

MALE 48YRS OLD W/CFIDS
  19. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Maybe all the estrogen wards them off ;)
  20. icare

icare New Member

I haven't been here in awhile. I do think that men have a better change of bouncing back from this illness, than women do.That is only my thoughts.

The pain these days is my biggest concern..I assume most of us are similar.
    If i didnt have to lay down to sleep, it would be great.
    Laying down really hurts. I take pain pills but i cannot take too many or they will keep me awake.Oxycontin stimulates the nervous system.
    So i flip flop around all night and have been waking up so sora at 4 am i end up just getting up..
    I have a heating pad and that helps a bit..
    I may go back on Neurontin and see if that helps..
    Anybody that doesnt have too much pain is real lucky..

Rick