How many milligrams of magnesium is safe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

How many milligrams do you take and do you feel any relief from pain?
  2. aryiella

aryiella New Member

My Mom keeps bugging me to take Natural Calm (powder) which recommended dosage is 1800 mg/day (spread out over 3x day). I would have to work my way up to that because it causes diarrhea. I would like to know if anyone has gotten relief from Magnesium. My regular Dr thinks that is too much.

Holly
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...because of the diarrhea...

I find I can take about 200mg. a day, but only the Magnesium Glycinate form. And even then, I cut the pill in half sometimes because that can cause "looseness" for me.

I know magnesium can be great for a lot of what ails us...but too hard for me to take!

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. ann31065

ann31065 New Member

I take 500mg of mag. with 500mg of calcium at night it helps me sleep. I hope this helps.
    Ann
  5. msmac

msmac New Member

best with a little malic acid, I also divide mine like you do, and cut the malic into quarters as it is such a high mg. Keep in mind: If you take some prescription meds(neurontin) magnesium lessens it. May be with other meds, also, but have not had time to research more, and of course, it is hidden knowledge. I take Lyrica, and have noticed that if I am a little drowsy from it, the magnesium seems to soften that.

Also, magnesium up to 800-1200 mg a day, you will know when you have "too much" as you will get loose stools from it. So cut back a little.
  6. DirkP

DirkP New Member

Natural Calm - rasp flavor - 3 to 6 times a day @ 100mg (1/2 tsp). Also like Jarrow Optimizer tablet with Potassium and Taurine (I take this when taking in increased sodium)

Try Take with food or water - watch loose stools or stomach cramps, but 100mg seems quite tolerable - you may be able to increase

Malic acid, as mentioned good

600 mg a day total, between two

Gillham's also makes a Mg+Ca powder

Haven't done as well on other Mg supps
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My doctor told me I should take magnesium up to where it equals the amount of calcium I take, or to bowel tolerance, whichever is less.

I take 1600 mg. of calcium citrate a day and 1600 mg. of magnesium, in divided doses, and tolerate it okay. Some people are more sensitive to it and should take less.

I also take malic acid.

I have CFIDS only so don't know if it helps with FM pain.

Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2007]
  8. DirkP

DirkP New Member

You might also try Epsom salt or non-sulfate Mg salt (similar to Epsom but without sulfate) baths/soaks 20-30 min - maybe 2 cups or so? can be effective transdermal delivery
  9. DirkP

DirkP New Member

some find the soaks easier on the stomach than oral Mg
  10. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

I take 900mg magnesium to avoid twitches and spasms and tight muscles. I think it also helps me with fatigue and stress. Taking it with equal (or more) amounts of calcium (especially calcium carbonate) can help reduce the laxative effect. Or you could also try a time released form like MagTab, as that might help to avoid the effect also.
  11. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

for women is 320 mg/day; for men, 400 mg/day. That amt refers to the elemental mag component.

Toxicity symptoms: nausea, diarrhea, drowsiness.

Note for those with low blood pressure: magnesium tends to have a vasodilator effect, lowering BP.

Best wishes.
  12. Kay31

Kay31 Member

I have been on a regimen of 480 mg. of magnesium; the same pill contains calcium and zinc.

I have gone steady with the b.r. since I started on it ten years ago!!! Now I'm cutting back on it to see if my loose stools can firm up (this sounds gross, I know).

Wouldn't it be more fun if I was doing it to firm up by bod??

[This Message was Edited on 09/27/2007]
  13. wld285

wld285 New Member

I take 1200 mg calcium apatite (Metagenics), and 600 mg magnesium glycinate (Metagenics), in 3 divided doses. The Metagenics is suppossed to be one of the most absorbable.
  14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I take about 500 mgs. of Mg citrate in 3 divided doses in summer and up to 1,200 in winter when my heart palpitations get worse. It really helps with that. It also helps with arterial spasm in cold weather. I take a constipating heart drug, so I can use the effect of the Mg.

I have had my red blood cell Mg level checked, and it is above the normal range, probably from years of taking so much. Serum Mg tests are useless.

Nobody with kidney disease should take any Mg without their doctors permission.

Klutzo