How many of us are men?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by larry11, Oct 15, 2005.

1. larry11

larry11 New Member

I have seen a few post from men but most are women, is it true that mostly women have this disease? It really doesn`t matter if you are a woman or a man , but I was just wondering. thanks to all.........................

Larry
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

larry i am a 45 year old guy with cfs since 2000. kind of weird to fit in sometimes. i live in trenton mo. bill m
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

there was a thread going on for awhile about fibro being harder for a man. i never weighed in at the time, but i disagree. these illnesses are devastating to anyone who's unfortunate enough to come down with them. there may be a societal pressure on males to be stronger, but it's up to the individual to move pass this. we define ourselves. society does not define us. or maybe i'm just an idealist.

i'm 33 years old, for the record.

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2005]
  4. larry11

larry11 New Member

to all who have ansewered my question, I do think more women then men have it because if more men had it, they wouldn`t be able to deal with the pain any better than the rest of us, and I also feel that if they went through as much as i or others that it would scare the crap out of them and would want to know exactly what is the matter, just my thoughts, but thanks again to all.

Larry
  5. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I've had it for 11+ years. I live in rural (very) n. Calif.

I know there are lots of men on this board.

Nice to meet you.

Barry
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a guy. I've had CFS for 25 years; been depressed most of my life. Had to give up practicing law. Worked part-time as a paralegal. Last few years could only work about 2 hours a day.

Like so many here I have been accused of being lazy, etc. Once I had energy to work full time, go to law school at night, have a social life, etc. I wish some of the people who think I'm lazy and/or neurotic had known me then.

7. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi Larry,

I'm not a man. Sorry about that, but I'm glad that you're here. We all need to work together to solve this stupid disease.

While it does seem true that more money goes towards diseases that are predominantly male oriented, I also agree with whoever said that doctors have a really tough time with systemic problems or diseases that are not located in just one place at a time or that change locations in the body. What makes it even worse is the way FMS comes and goes.

I think doctors and the medical community are both really walking a slippery slope, though, by recommending and prescribing SSRIs for this problem when a lot of the evidence is suggesting that they can actually make it far worse if you have certain genetic configurations that make taking them very wrong for certain people.

Hopefully, science will continue to look for the causes of FMS and develop a cure or cures by correcting the problem or problems that originally caused FMS to occur in each individual in the first place, which is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I guess for that reason...and because it would be nice for you, too, I hope that lots more guys join us.

Bebe

8. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

Yeah- a guy here, many more men have FMS than ya know, many are afraid to speak out....to bad because several i talked to wont get help and self-medicate.

jackson gavi
  9. bct

bct Well-Known Member