How many of us had mono?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jul 3, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I had mononucleosis when I was 19 years of age. My (now)husband gave it to me. Although I had a very bad case of mono, he seemed to get well quickly and is now a normal person. I went on to develop FM about 20 years later. Now I wonder if there is any connection. Did any of you have mono when you were younger?
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I had mono in college & developed FM approximately 20 years later, also. In between, I felt well (in other words, didn't feel like I was making a slow decline into illness during those 20 interim years).

Who knows????

-Pam
  3. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I had it in jr. high school. It took several weeks to recover.

Lisa
  4. stacyh

stacyh New Member

I had mono about 4 four years ago. Some of the sypmtoms didn't go away. What I think back now on is when I first went to see the doctor, she had no idea where to start, I had given her so many symptoms. Probably should have narrowed it down to the more recent ones. I think my FM was triggered by a car accident two years prior to the mono. I definatly don't feel like I have fully recovered from the Mono though.
    Stacy
  5. klarry

klarry New Member

You could be me. I had the same pattern. In fact when I returned to college for my sophomore year I could not do any sports for an entire semester. I also had to take a mild sleeping pill because I had great trouble sleeping. I eventually recovered, had a period of quasi health (have never been in robust health, but led a normal life raising two children, etc.), and then developed the symptoms that led to my diagnosis.
  6. lsw

lsw New Member

I had mono at age 17 along with strept throat and now have CF. I have read that there is a link. I also had endometriosis which is also linked. Who knows where this began!
  7. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I had mono when I was about 30, but I think the fibro symptoms began before that. Problem is, so many people get mono without having trouble afterwards, who knows?

The apparent relationship reminds me of an example an old prof of mine gave in a statistics class. Did you know there is a high correlation between the number of churches and the number of bars in a community? I doubt that having churches causes people to drink more--it's probably because of something else, like larger places have both more churches and bars. :)

Until someone actually does some research looking at the incidence of mono in both fibro patients and healthy controls, I don't think we'll really know. But it is an interesting question!
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

when I was about 14.

Though I didn't know it at the time.

I realized much later, looking back that I had undiagnosed mono, so tired for a while, difficulty getting out of bed, etc.

Then, at 17, I had strep throat.

Jesse Stoff had interesting things to say about these events related to CFS in his book.
  9. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

I had Mono/Hepatitus at about 17 and was bed bound for 6 months. I was later diagnosed with Chronic Epstein Barr Virus/CFS.The ironic thing is my daughter got Mono/Pneumonia at about the same age and went on to be diagnosed with Epstein Barr and finally Lupus.
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I had mono in the mid 1980's and the FMS symptoms started then.
    Kady
  11. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Me too! What a bad thing to have...YUCK!
  12. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello!! I have never had mono, but my sister did back in 1995. After her bout with this illness, she has never been the same and is showing all the classic symptoms of fibro. I feel for her everyday. Hugs, Chelz.
  13. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I had it when I was about 20 years old. Since then I have also had a positive Lyme titer. I wonder about that sometimes.
  14. KayL

KayL New Member

I had mono when I was only 9 years old. That same year I had mumps on both sides and pneumonia. I don't know exactly *when* my FMS symptoms began; I do remember I started getting migraines at age 11, and have always been sick a lot.

Karen
  15. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

I had Mono when I was pregnant in 1992...it was horrible and I could not take anything since I was pregnant. I never got to feeling better. I know for a fact my fibro started when I got that damn Mono:eek:) I have often wondered if there was a connection betwixt the two.
  16. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

I caught it from my EX-husband in '87.

Jeni
  17. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

in my blood last year. I have suffered from FM and CFS since my twenties, now 51. Been checked for mono quite a few times over the years when I went to the doctors with terribly sore throats and major fatigue, tests never caught it. Had it at some point though!
  18. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

Last week I saw a new (holistic) doc and really have hope he will help me. He was very clear and certain that my illness did not start with the Epstein Barr/Mono but the EBV was simply a symptom of my already deficient immune system faltering.

It makes sense to me since we are almost always exposed to the EBV/Mono virus...but suddenly it takes over due to our weakened systems.

19. piemom

piemom New Member

I had mono when I was a teenager and was just diagnosed with fms..don't know if there is any correlation.

My fms symptoms started in January with earache and sore throat, then acute muscle pain and exhaustion after a severe virus I caught in Spain. Am just learning about this syndrome, I read it is not that common for older people to get it.

luck to you, MIndy
  20. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I wouldn't doubt there may be a connection. I had every childhood disease there was back in the 50s-60s and pretty sure I had mono too along with a mastoid infection which took weeks to get over...missed a lot of school. Didn't get FM until 40 years later after neck/back injury. Very interesting!