How many of us have been athletic in our younger years?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shadowsfire, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

I just love that little butt waving guy. LOL
    Ok what I was wondering is if any of you were athletic when you were younger, like running, swimming or strenuous activites like that. If you ran did you ever experence the "runner" high?
    Thanks,
    Marci
  2. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

I was a running FANATIC in my high school and college years. I got that runner high often, and it was awesome. I felt like I could run forever, and after I'd laugh and talk 100 miles a minute!

Oh, those days are sooooo long gone!

~Kat
  3. fificat

fificat New Member

I played softball and soccer my entire life.
    sharlie

ran a mile a day but never had a high
  4. kalaya

kalaya New Member

I was a very accomplished athlete since childhood and competed in the national championships in tennis[3rd place].Yes I used to run 10 miles a day and the runners high is something that I have experienced on many occasions.This is one of the most pleasurable euphoric sensations that I have encountered during this life.I am an avid cyclist now but it is only through the use of the stimulant medications that I am able to do this due to the cfids being such an overwhelming drain.
  5. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello Marci!! Hello all!! YES, I have experienced the 'workout' high many times!! I did it all, until I got ill in my early 30's. I used to kickbox, and did boxing as well (as in sparring in the ring). I jogged, rollerblade, swam, rode my bicycle, have done aerobics and did some weight lifting(bodybuilding) throughout the years!! I miss that 'high'. In fact, I used to say that working out was one of the best highs ever! What an adrenaline rush. I miss those days more than anything! Now I can only do short walks and swim sometimes!! Who would have ever thought that life would go from being so 'healthy' and fast paced, and active to such a slow way of life. Guess you never know. Have a great night all..Hugs Dove
  6. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I used to be a cheerleader, a member of our dance team, and I taught aerobics for a couple of years as well. I used to roller-blade and downhill ski as well. I always felt great after exercising but never had the "high". At least I don't think so.

Now I am big fat couch potato!
  7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I still like to think I'm in my "younger years"...

But yes, I played basketball and volleyball- made Varsity in both by my sophomore year in high school, was on the dance team/ pom-pom squad and swam, lifted weights and did arobics and step-classes through college. I started taking yoga classes later, when I was about 22. I progressed in my yoga to a quite advanced level (I think!)- doing some wild and difficult poses.

As recently as my late 20's, I was rollerblading, doing yoga and coaching our local high school dance team- even working out with the girls throughout my pregnancy with my 2-year old! I coached the dance team, doing all of the choreography and working out with the girls (doing the splits, high kicks and everything!) for 3 years. I decided I couldn't keep up with it two years ago, but continued doing the yoga and dance stretches, etc. at home.

Today? Well, there are days I can only tolerate the treadmill for two minutes at a go... and my stretches vary from day to day, but on a good day, I can tolerate walking and gentle stretching, but if I push it- I pay dearly!

I never got the "runner's high", but definitely got "in the zone" playing basketball and had a very focused mind/body connection while dancing.

I wish I could push my body to excel in that way, but then I wonder if I had never trained my body to that degree- what might my level of suffering be now? Better or worse?

I got in "trouble" by my doctor during my pregnancy with my now-2-year-old, for continuing to do splits and high kicks well into my seventh month of pregnancy. I was focused when I was doing it and it felt GREAT! But, my doc said that the already-stretchy ligaments due to pregnancy hormones were being over-stretched, causing "pelvic instability". NOW I feel it! My hips (especially the right one) ache and often slip a "little" out of the socket. Ouch. I've learned to pop it back in, thanks to a wonderful osteopath who I am lucky to have as a friend!

I think having been active in our youth gives us a higher pain tolerance... some days it doesn't seem so, but I often find myself able to relax into the pain as if it is part of a high-exertional workout.

Just a theory!
    Lollie
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I wasn't that active. I did take swimming in high school and loved to swim in the summer. But most of the time, I could be found sitting and in deep discussion with friends, with my boyfriend, going to movies, etc. I was never into running or thinking about being physically fit. However, my younger years were quite a while ago . . it was when President Kennedy decided that the youth of the country needed to become physically fit. Guess I was too set in my ways to go along with the change of times!

Although not really "physically fit" or athletic, I was in good shape. I only had to start worrying about weight gain after my hysterectomy at 45. Then the weight gain really hit after I began to have more problems with the then undiagnosed FMS/CFS and was put on medications (3 1/2 years ago).

Now Day, my husband, and I are both trying to change our sedentary lifestyles!
  9. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I used to go dancing 3-4 nights a week when I was in my 20s, but I don't think that counts. And it wasn't a runner's high.

Sure wish I'd been athletic young, because it would make it easier to move now.

Francie
  10. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

Horse back riding
    Tennis
    Softball
    Rugby after college
    Track in college
    Jog now at 50

Never had the runner's high.

Warmly,
    maggie

11. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Not extremely athletic, but absolutely loved down hill skiing! First time I ever tried it at age 21, I fell in love! Have kept hubby skiing over the years (he probably would have given it up) and taught my two kids to ski at 5 years old. My son is actually an excellent skiier and that is the only sport he has ever done, like me.

I still ski, but I pay afterwards for quite a few days in increased pain, but it is worth every minute of pain to feel the wind in my face and enjoy the beautiful snowy landscape!

Can you tell I like to ski! LOL

Take care, Sally
  12. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I was a long distance runner and did the mile and 1/2 mile in track. I, too, felt some days like I could run forever. Runners high, yes. Loved to challenge myself. Also loved:
    tennis
    horseback riding
    snowboarding
    weight training
    skatevboarding
    roller blading
    dancing the night away
    Ooh, those were the days!
    Love, Maggy

ps - I like this little dancer guy
  13. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

And I used a pacifier til I was 7...teehee...

I had two older brothers and lived in NY (Long Island)...My school system had the greatest sports programs so I tried to be involved...

Softball~ Loved it and played quite well
    Gymnastics~ Loved the rings and did TOO MUCH (I was warned by the coach that it was not a "girls sport", made me want to do it more
    Track~ I was a different person when running and the "HIGH", something I could only dream about now...That HIGH is on the top 3 things I would like to feel again before I go
    Weights~ would work out with my brothers, boy would they push me to do more (probably did some damage)

Now that I have written some of my sports experiences down, it's no wonder I have some of the issues I have, did more than my muscles and bones could possibly handle...Felt great while doing it tho, I had alot of stressors as a child and this was the best way to "vent" or "get away"...

I believe that most of us with these DD's were quite active when younger, even pushing ourselves to the max...I would like to hit one more fast pitch at the softball cage...
    Batter Up!

Let's keep dreamin'
    ~Alicia
  14. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

Cheerleader in my teens, gym rat in my 20's, volleyball, soccer, walking in my 30's, Tae-Bo, tennis and walking in my early 40's. CFIDS at 43.

Compared to many, I have a less severe case of CFIDS. I always sort of wonder if I would have a worse case if I hadn't been in such good shape all of my life.

It makes me angry, though, because I wasn't SUPPOSED to get sick! I always took good care of myself!
  15. bigmh

bigmh New Member

I was running 4-5 miles per day when I got this DD...and yes, I loved the "runner's high"!

I still ski...the fluid motion and the beauty feel SO good even if I do pay for the next few days. It is so nice to feel "normal" when I ski!

Very interesting thread...looks like many of us were very active. B
  16. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hi Marci,

I am 40 years old now. In my teens and 20s, I wasn't very athletic but when I was 32, I became a weight-trainer. For about a year, I was in fantastic shape and able to lift like a man. OK, an average man.

However, my trainer really pushed me hard and I remember having painful muscle spasms. Also, later that year, I was involved in a car accident with a drunk driver so, although it was the best year for self-motivation, it was also a bad year for overall stress and injury to my body.

Go figure.

Kim
  17. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

When I was a kid, I wasn't very coordinated, but I was always doing something, skateboards, bicycles, walking everywhere. Sprained my ankles every other week, and skinned my knees nearly every day.

By 15 I was riding my bicycle very long distances, simply to get from place to place. There wasn't much choice.

It wasn't until I was 30, though, that I really began to work out seriously, and I remember it being quite painful in the beginning. It took about three months before it didn't literally hurt to breathe during exercise...but that could be in part because my parents smoked heavily throughout my life with them.

At forty-something I became a fitness instructor at gyms all over town and also studied fitness instruction at UCLA. At 45-47 I was in the best shape of my life...truly in shockingly good shape for anyone, let alone someone my age. I didn't do it to be in great shape. I did it because it felt good.

Running was never my favorite thing to do, but I do it sometimes. I love TaeBo and other fun forms of aerobic exercise, but they all make me feel terrific. Sometimes I would run, and sometimes I still do a little. I don't get that heaviness in the chest that I vaguely remember and am aware that so many people have in the beginning.

In the last few years I've been in a lot of pain and I'm struggling to keep up. I haven't lost my VO2 capacity and recover easily when I run and stuff, but my muscle tone is pretty icky. I know that picking up my exercise pace is the only thing that will save my sorry butt.

There is a class that I'm taking once a week at a place called the S Factor that is so much fun and feels really good. Each week I feel my body releasing a little bit more. If you find exercise that you really enjoy, it can make you feel so much better.

I do remember that for about eight months after I stopped taking Effexor last September, I would get a dreadful headache the day after a hard workout. There wasn't anything I could do about it. Nothing would change this. It was a nightmare for me. This has finally stopped.

That was the first time that I realized that what looks like able-bodied people truly may not be able to work out, but we have to find some way to get that blood circulating, even a little bit, whether by rebounding, yoga, Pilates, or walking for just a couple of minutes followed by light stretching until our bodies can tolerate a tiny bit more. It's my humble opinion that if we are physcially able to do this, that it will help us in every possible way, no matter how slowly we progress. Even a little bit is always better than nothing at all, even if it is only moving our arms and gradually trying to move our legs. A walk for two minutes...and move it up to five...then to ten...you get the idea.

There is no timetable. We have our whole lives. Too fast and our bodies will rebel. Some people can push their bodies a little harder and feel terrific. Others cannot. Sometimes we need to find out which type we are by trying, or we really won't know. I learned a lot during the short time that I was doing some individualized personal training and even more when my own body decided to, for lack of a better phrase, take a dive off the deep end without water.

18. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hey everyone! I enjoyed reading all you stories! I am really sad that we all cannot do what we used to. It is a comfort for me to come here, and read, and realize I am not so "alone" (unfortunately) dealing with this disease and misfortunes. It puzzles me why why why anyone would get this sick, and then to hear so many that were in the 'best shape of their lives' really peturbs me! I myself, was also in the 'best shape of my life' before I got sick. I don't understand it, even until this day. I am thankful for this board. Althoug I don't post much, I do read alot of the stories here. Hugs to all. And have a great night. Dove
  19. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

He thinks that peopel with this have about 1/2 of something and as such have to work harder to get as fit or as healthy. We switch to the latic acid producing type of muscles faster too. Thus this is why our muscles hurt. Oh and we would never experence the runners high.
    I too was very athletic but I found I had to really slow down when I turned 40. Before that I remember working on my feet all day and then going riding in the evening. I had to be "spayed" then and after that its like it was a slide down to where I am now. I am lucky to get a ride in. I consider myself lucky in that when I hurt my knee (bowling of all things) and got the resultant arthiritis I was able to quit working when the dr told me I have severe arthitis. It was kind of a gradual decline for me. I just thought it was the fact that I am fat that made it so much harder. But I recently went to a new chiro (the one with the theory) and he found thatI reacted to almost all of the points and said I have fibomyalgia symptoms. So I guess I really haven't been diagnosed yet. But then without health insurance its almost impossable to go to the dr. I was denied due to weight and knee. Sigh. But then the chiro does help a bit.
  20. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I find this very interesting considering all my classmates that were sedatary couch potatoes.

Like so many here I was a mile runner (5:32 was my recond set my junior year when I was 16.

I typically ran 10 miles a day just for the fun of it.

Softball.... I was a shortstop and actually tore my rotator cuff at the ripe old age of 17.

I was a farm girl and could toss 100lb hay bales all day long. I am still surprisingly strong given my age.

But I still cannot believe how many of us were runners...I wonder where a good researcher could take this theroy?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2005]