How many of us have psoriasis (scalp)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aryiella, Apr 14, 2003.

1. aryiella

aryiella New Member

I was wondering how many of us here have psoriasis, especially on the scalp. After noticing a red, flaky, itchy patch of skin on my scalp for the past month, I think that's what I have. I don't recall ever getting this before. I read it is an auto-immune condition, so I'm betting a higher percentage of us with CFS/FMS may have it too. I'm hoping this OTC tar ointment I bought will get rid of it.

Holly
  2. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

But I have something. I've been researching on the net til I can get in to see a dermatologist. Mine doesn't look as bad as psoriasis. I found a link that has a lot of pics. Mine looks more like Seborrheic Dermatitis, but hey what do I know. I've had this problem since I was about 15. I've always been a sickly person. If you've got something I'll get it! It's just gotten worse as this DD has gotten worse. Mine is on my scalp and behinde my ears. Netragena T-Gel works good, but don't use the tar shampoo daily. It says not to....I did and ended up burning my scalp.

Tammy

3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Read in an article I have that Flaxseed Oil will help with this and many other conditions too.
    Will be posting a topic on it soon.

Love Pat.
  4. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I don't have an official diagnosis, but for years I have had periodic problems with dry,itchy ,red patches on my scalp. I use non-prescriptive liquid called Scalpicin. It helps me quite a bit, but I have a bad bout of it this time. I dyed my hair while the sores were still present, and that was stupid of me. If you are on guai, you won't be able to use it.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used baby oil on it. It's kinda an adult version of cradle cap only worse. It is an autoimmune condition.

Love, Mikie
  6. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I first noticed it as a child...I had a patch of it in the middle of my back. It was very itchy! I must have been about 7-8.

Through my teen's until the present I have had outbreaks of it on the same spot on my scalp. My Father told me it was psoriasis when I was a child, so I guess he or his parents had it (we are estranged, they have passed) I have never had it checked, and just always believed that's what it is. I use Neutrogina T-Gel whenever I have an outbreak.

I became ill w/ CFS in my mid-twenties, and then Crohn's Disease in my early 30's, although I also can recall intestinal pain/problems in my childhood. I most definately have auto-immune problems!

I was doing well, Crohn's in remission, no CFS....and now I have FM/CFS and Chronic Myofascial Pain, IBS, after being rear-ended in 2000, and am on SSD.
    Love,
    Blondieangel
  7. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

This is rather funny - as my son had the dreaded head lice a couple of months back. We did the usual shampooing and got rid of them - except my head continued to itch and itch. I was raking it in the night and waking up with my hair standing on end...
    So, I figured the 'little friends' had not gone and looked on the net for help. We have used so many lice shampoos over the last couple of years that I figured I had become resistant to them, hence the continuing problem.
    I saw an article advising the use of Olive Oil, left on overnight....so I followed the instructions and hey presto, no more itching, for a couple of weeks.
    Now I know that it was NOT head lice, but an itchy, flaky scalp and of course the olive oil had helped temporarily.
    I was standing in a chemists today, actually holding a bottle of Neutrogena T-Gel, thinking I would buy it and then got distracted and forgot to buy it....typical.
    I will get some as soon as possible...........
    hugs
    Mary x
  8. aryiella

aryiella New Member

The ointment I bought OTC is called MG217. I only applied it once before bed (it's kinda goopy so can't really use it during the day) and the patch of skin is already getting better. No more itching, the redness is going away. Maybe check it out!

Holly
  9. aryiella

aryiella New Member

Since my psorasis symptoms have only appeared within about the last month, and I just started taking Wellbutrin and Klonopin for the first time a few weeks before that....could this possibly be an allergic reaction to either one of them???? This is not a listed side effect of either one, but I guess an allergic reaction could manifest in many ways (I do have other allergies). I think I'm going to bring this up w/my doc on May 6th.