How many of us have some kind of OCD?Related to FM CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Sep 7, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I'm sitting here thinking about some of the stuff I do,it's crazy. I've read that most of us that have FM and CFS are type A personalities and that most of us are,well were, perfectionist. So just wondering if it's at all possible the OCD comes from that and the fact that being how we were could contribute to the OCD since we have no control over the FM and CFS. Does that make sense?

I've come to the conclusion that over the yrs I've developed some OCD tendencies. I know this because growing up and in my 20's and 30's didn't do these things. Can't remember when and how it started but I hate it.It can be annoying. What do you think about this. Do you have any OCD and what do you do?

I'm not able to keep my house as clean as I once did but I'm a heavy hand washer. I'm really bad at it when I'm at someone else's house. I hate opening doors in stores,cars,houses. I hate using someone else's phone or remote control. I don't like someone else handling anything in my house. I can't help it. When they leave I'll make myself sick cleaning all the remotes,phones,doorknobs,handles,cabinet doors,anything they've touched. It's horrible,I hate it. I don't dare tell them cause they just make fun of me. They already will say stuff about me washing my hands at their houses. I will not allow them to put anything on my kitchen cabinets or my table if I can help it. Am I a germaphobic or what. Thank goodness they don't come over that often.

When I went to my sister's,when she had the baby,in TX,I was so glad to get home. I was driving myself crazy. I wouldn't put anything of mine down,while getting dressed,without laying paper towels down first then would throw them away. And it's not like they are dirty people, their not. Needless to say I can use alot of paper towels.LOL. This is just some of it. I wash my hands constantly,even at home. See this is one of the reasons I don't think I can live with someone anymore. They would kill me.

What can I do. What do you do? It was kinda bad working at the nursing home. Course I would wear gloves when I was dealing with the residents. I don't think they noticed how much I washed my hands and how I wouldn't touch most things,I tried to hide it. I doubt it's related to FM,just seems to have gotten worse.

Thanks for reading,Keke

You're the only ones that know.
  2. encantare

encantare New Member

Absolutely.
    For a long time I had to change the sheets every day! I think it's an issue of control. I can't control my illness so I control my enviornment. It's very classic psychology. I think you'll find a lot of people who do that. And yes, most of us are Type A people.
  3. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Here's something I've never told anyone, for fear I'd find a net clapped over top of me:

I count my steps when I am crossing a street.

I have no idea why I do this. I don't know if it's OCD or not.

I don't think I'm a Type A. I might be, but I've (I think) had the d'd so many decades that, when I was a child I was told I was lazy...and Type A's aren't lazy...have I got that right? If I am a Type A, I'm falling down on the job; my house almost always looks like a hurricane hit it, lol.

Is there a Type D as in "Don't want to do anything that requires any effort at all?"

Lea.
  4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Oh I think there just might be a lot of "OCD" people on this board. I have some of those issues myself.. and perhaps it it more common in the type "A" personalities.

I also do the hand washing, counting and several other things. Like when I walk barefoot outside I have to raise all my toes so they will not touch the ground. Don't ask me why... I just do it without even thinking about it.

Two of my four children also have OCD traits as well as three of my granddaughters!

But there is help out there... some of the antidepressants or SSRI's are very helpful in controling compulsive behaviors. Talk to your doctor about your compulsive habits and ask what can be RX'd to help you out. It is worth a try if you are suffering from severe behaviors that interfere with your life.

I have noticed a difference since taking prozac. It is the smallest dose and it is also helping me with my pain levels. I really did not want to go onto another RX, but it is helping me so I plan to stick with it for now.

Blessings... CarolK

PS... the OCD behaviors have been there since I was a child.. like waking up at night and going to all the windows in my house and counting to 100 so that I would be safe! I know... weird... but that is OCD for you!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2006]
  5. CarolK

CarolK New Member

bumping to see if any others have "OCD issues".
  6. keke466

keke466 New Member

7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I do have some OCD behavior. It's hard to explain, but the one thing I do that drives me crazy is anytime I see a group of words on a road sign or on TV or anywhere really I try to group the letters into groups of three. If a word doesnt divide up equally, I borrow from the next word. If the sentence or sign or whatever doesn't equally divide into three I get agitated.

I have only told a few people about this. I do other things too, but this is the one thing that I really can't stop.

I do wash my hands often, and clean my keyboard, remote, phone etc often. When the IT guy at work uses my keyboard, I really go nuts cleaning, because he touches so many keyboards each day, the germs could be staggering!

And a while ago there was a post on how many germs we carry on our purses. I regularly clean my purse with clorox cleanup wipes. I have a real nice leather coach and worried at first it would ruin it, but it doesn't!!!
  8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

HI ALL!
    I have a freaky disorder that is not OCD but it must be related to it. It's called trichtillomania. I pull my hair out strand by strand, then I have a litle ritual -- I run it thru my teeth (like flossing) and then wrap it around my fingers in a certain way and then break the hair. Then I find the next hair and do it again, and again, etc. If that isn't messed up I don't know what is!!!

I've been doing this for like 20 years. Very few people know this about me. Just family and a few close friends.
    My parents get so annoyed when they see me doing it. I try to only do it in private.

I never knew it was an actual disorder with a name that other people did till one day about 10 years ago I looked up "hair pulling" on the internet. I was so shocked and relieved to see that I was not the only freakazoid to have this problem.

Sometimes I joke that I am the Wal-mart of health problems-
    cuz I feel like I have or had just about every mental or physical problem that exists!!

I wasn't ever going to reveal this thing about myself on this board, but since other people are telling some personal OCD stuff I figured what the heck!

Take care!

BigMama2
  9. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

could be about control, could be about not trusting my self - brain fog & a series of REALLY wrong/ disasterous
    decisions about new people I invited into my life.
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Yes, me too.

I experienced a great deal of anxiety from it until my therapist diagnosed me with it and put me on Cymbalta.

I'm doing much better now - still have a great need for order but am finding it easier to actually accomplish getting order. Before, the chaos would overwhelm me so much that it more or less paralized me.

I counted. I like groups of three too. I decorate in balance and threes.

My biggest problem was my obsessions of the mysteries of the universe. I called it my MOTU. It would come every night as the sun set like an impending sense of doom. The Cymbalta took most of that away.

Sofi