How Many Of Us...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Would consider using medical Marijuana if it were legal and helped with our symptoms? More states are considering changing the laws. In CO, MJ is legal for medical and recreational use. It's still illegal according to federal law. The feds can raid stores where MJ is sold. Your tax dollars at work ;) Speaking of taxes, why not make it legal and tax it as we do tobacco. But, I digress...

Just wondered if anyone else would consider it. There are strains which help with symptoms without making people high. It is used for children who are sick where it is legal.

Love, Mikie
    bct likes this.
  2. Doznclan12

Doznclan12 Member

I am one to think..how can this be? It goes into the lungs. That can't be a good thing. There are plenty of things that work for us. We may have to take the time to find it, but there are several things to consider, AND do, and not do, that helps with the pain. I'm sure you have found many things that you just say, nope, no way, can't do this today, not that way. o_O
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I would consider using it, but I don't like to SMOKE anything...I would use other forms, and there are many forms...we have a dispensary very close by me and I've talked to them on the phone. a friend's grandson works at one and got her some "tabs", $5 each but they helped her cancer pains...

I will see my MD for my annuals soon and will mention it to her, I don't know if she'd write a script or not...MJ is expensive, but for many it seems to be lifesaving....

I'm not an addictive personality so that does not concern me, but again I have to learn more, maybe a trip to my local dispensary....

I worry about the Advil I take daily....what is it doing, I take a lot of protectors but know knows....jam

My mind is very open to this for PAIN....When we look at all the years of alcohol and cigs and all the deaths from these legal drugs, yikes...my sil smoked and drank TOO MUCH, he gone...

Moderation is KEY to it all.
  4. Doznclan12

Doznclan12 Member

I wondered while I was writing back if there were other forms now. Makes sense there would be. And, I know what you mean about having any type of anti-inflammatory in the stomach!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, there are tablets. I have COPD and could not smoke it. I'd have to bake some gluten-free Alice B. Toklas brownies. It's like multitasking--getting the MJ and taking care of the munchies in one product. Actually, the newer MJ is much stronger than the old hippie stuff. It doesn't take much to help with pain, nausea, etc.

If only the govt. would get over their "Reefer Madness" mentality, they might see the benefits of legalization.

Love, Mikie
    rockgor and paulac7 like this.
  6. bct

bct Member

I am a legal user of marijuana, and have been for about 10 yrs. I find it a useful organic gift from God as an adjunct to pharmaceuticals, many of which give me nausea. It is also supposed to help with neuropathy, but I find alpha lipoic acid to be of more use. Both suggested to me by my oncologist.

MM also helps me with anxiety issues, so I don't have to use my benzos so frequently. My neighbour, who is a retired nurse with terrible back problems (post-surgery), uses it blended into a smoothie. She is 78.

It's time for changes.

Love, Barry (not a pot-head) :D
    rockgor likes this.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I totally agree it should be legalized, especially for medical use. My sister-in-law who recently died from uterine cancer used it to help with appetite, etc. It can be misused, just like alcohol, but that's no reason to keep it illegal.

From another standpoint, our drug laws have directly contributed to the growth of drug cartels and the epidemic of violence associated with them (tens of thousands have been murdered in Mexico by the cartels and drug lords, fueled by the U.S. appetite for drugs). Just like prohibition led to organized crime which we still deal with today.

And there are thousands of people incarcerated for drugs who don't need to be there.

And heck - why not legalize it for personal use besides medical purposes? Really, the prohibition against marijuana just fuels crime and violence.

Mary
    rockgor, Waynesrhythm and bct like this.
  8. jaminhealth

From what I understand Cannibus has been around forever and pharma got involved and it's a crime...

I just called our local dispensary and one has to get a script from their MD, if they will do it, then go to the dispensary and buy what they would like to try.... There are MANY choices from smoking to brownies, cookies, lozenges, etc...and it's all too expensive....but I'd like to try and see if it does reduce my pain....the least costly item is the $5 lozenges, I think 1 for $5...wonder how much pain relief and for how long....

It's all very very interesting and it's got to be available for many who deal with major health issues and pain. Drugs can do us in. jam
  9. Willow77

Willow77 Member

I live in a state where it is legal by prescription for medical use and yet the pain clinic where i first got treated will refuse anyone who has had a prescription written for them. So until it is legal on a federal level I can not use it.

Seems unfair to me.

The methadone and muscle relaxers that I use don't take care of all the pain, not to mention all the side effects.

I have IC, FMS, CFS and neuropathy.
    rockgor likes this.
  10. Darrae

Darrae Member

Absotutely!! Fewer side effects first and foremost. Natural substance, not man made. Effective in the sessation of pain and very useful as a sleep aid. Should have legalized it for medical purposes long ago. Have done much research into the subject. Marijuana has many medicinal uses and benefits. (Also not a pot-head). I just research everything. I'm like that. It's how I roll.

It just became legal in the state I live in. Am considering looking into it.

Dar
    rockgor likes this.
  11. Abdulrahman

Abdulrahman Member

Hmmmm...... medical Opium is already available for years, under the trade name Codiene which is an extract made from Opium [ but now synthesized artificially]. Many have gotten addicted to it. From Wikipedia:

"Codeine is currently the most widely-used opiate in the world and is one of the most commonly used drugs overall according to numerous reports by organizations including the World Health Organization and its League of Nations predecessor agency. It is one of the most effective orally administered opioid analgesics and has a wide safety margin. Its strength ranges from 8 to 12 percent of morphine in most people; differences in metabolism can change this figure as can other medications, depending on its route of administration.While codeine can be directly extracted from opium, its original source, most codeine is synthesized from the much more abundant morphine through the process of O-methylation."

I personally hate drugs unless its for a very short term acute pain of one or two days or for a surgical aneasthesia.

Abdulrahman
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am soooo Med Phobic and don't use any rx drugs except Xanax and yes, if it would give be good days I would use it . When you think what is in the medicine we take and the pharm. companies are only interested in the dollar my thinking is this would be like a herb or natural drug. I have known a few with CFS and MS that this drug or herb , has actually worked. Didn't Montel use it for his MS? On the other hand back in my much, much younger years I tired it once and oh my gosh it was horrible!!! Talk about a panic attack, not so sure it would work for me.
  13. happycfs

happycfs Member

Marijuana is HORRIBLE for me!! My brain fog is so intense already, and taking pot makes me feel even more 'distant' from reality. I tried it years ago and I had instant and intense panic attacks. Horrible memory for me now! I already feel like I am drunk or high everyday. Adding something that alters the brain just makes it much much MUCH worse! This would be a hell no for me. I might even feel like I am sleeping when I am actually awake. Truly terrifying on all levels for me!! :(
  14. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I would most likely use it in a heartbeat....like the idea of "brownies"...kill two birds with one stone...take care of the pain issues and munchies in one simple, easy step!! Personally, I think it should already be legalized...to me, ingesting some herbs is not any worse than drinking alcohol, but like all things, moderation is the key...
  15. jaminhealth

I don't deal with CFS so my clarity is good...I talked to my friend yesterday who's grandson works in our local dispensary and he's going to call me and talk about his knowledge...

I'd be interested in the lozenges they sell. My friend said she took 1/2 loz at a time for her cancer pain and it took a nice calming edge off the pain.

I see my rheumy tomorrow for my weekly meso or acupuncture and will "ask" her for a script, but knowing her she will probably decline....but maybe not....

I would NOT do the brownies as I don't want more sugary stuff to eat, stay away from those things now....

I like the lozenge thing....

When I've been waking up in pain lately at 4am or so and pop a 1/2 hydrocodone, I'd like the idea of sucking on that 1/2 loz.... we'll see....I have 2 integrative MD's, my rheumy and general MD and I'll ask both of them. jm
  16. FibroJune

FibroJune Member

Yes! I live in a state where it is illegal. It should be legalized in every state to help people suffering from cancer and other painful conditions.
  17. Darrae

Darrae Member

Abdulrahman,

I totally do not like having to take any drug either. I was the kid who could not swallow an aspirin when I was young. I have turned down many "offers" of other medications from my physicians. I do not always take what they want me to, (regarding dosages), but only what I must take in order to take the "edge" off and to get through my day.

Opium, and opiates are not something to mess around with. Besides, my stomach doesn't tolerate codeine or any related drug. Marijuana is a whole different drug classification. Medical marijuana, if used under physician's supervision, I still feel could be beneficial for many. I only wish my condition were "short term". I've had it 18 years.

18 years of constant, 24 hour a day, 365 days a year, unrelenting, never ending, muscle spasming, joint disabling, sleep disrupting pain. However, I have managed, through sheer determination of will, to pull myself up from six years of total disability, and now have been working 40 plus hours a week in spite of my condition. For this, I pay a heavy pain price. I hate the stuff the doctors have me taking. But it's that or be disabled again. No thanks. I prefer a life.

So, if pain control in a more natural form becomes available to me which I would be willing to take, heck yes!

Dar
    Abdulrahman likes this.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you all for your responses. I am of the mind that it should be legalized, period. It's not legal in FL so I will not use it; I will do nothing to put my permit to carry in danger. That said, however, I'll be in CO in Dec. :)

Love, Mikie
    paulac7 likes this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

AACK!!! I just found out the law in CO doesn't go into effect until Jan. Bummer! Just kidding. The injections took care of most of my symptoms so don't see the need for MJ. Heck, I hardly drink anymore.

Love, Mikie
  20. Abdulrahman

Abdulrahman Member