How Many of Y'All Had Head Injuries?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mom had FMS, I have CFS/FMS, and both my daughters have FMS. We all suffered head injuries prior to having our illnesses.

I still believe in a genetic predisposition, but I think head injuries can really trigger our illnesses big time. I had precursor symptoms prior to my serious head injury, but my health certainly started to deteriorate after my accident. The same is true for Mom and my girls.

Love, Mikie
  2. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I was told when I was only a few mo. old my sister had me in baby buggy and hit a high point in side walk. For us old folks sidewalks were one up one down. Anyway, I went flying out on my head, it has been sort of a standing joke of that was why I was always such a silly, nilly. Also fell off kitchen table when only few mo. old. Gosh I think they wanted me to be a boy. Was I being told something here?lol..Also Iwas in a severe car accident in 20`s,head went into winshield. Later meningitis. I have wondered about that myself. Thanks Mickie (Mom I feel has mild case she was hit by a car when she was a child.) She always blamed most of her problems on that, could she be right? I hate to admit it but mom has usually always been right. She would love to see this...My sister has fm. can`t remember if she had any type of head injury. Oh, I was also thrown from a horse,landed on my head. Also a tennis injury where a big guy nocked into me I flew into next court, then he came flying over and landed all 225 lbs. right on my head and I was knocked out. Wonder I have any brain left. You don`t have to comment on that,hee hee.
  3. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Was knocked unconcious(sp?) when I was 18 in a car wreck by hitting my head on the door/steering wheel/door again. Had another car wreck at 29- did not hit head hard but had slight whiplash that was not treated. Was in 2 other car accidents as a teen where had slight whiplash (untreated) too.
    My first symptoms that I think were hints of what was to come later, was horrible neck pain, a feeling that my head was a block of concrete & hard to hold up, & a headache that felt like a spike driven in through the top of my head & pain on the back of my head so bad that it hurt to put it against a pillow or headrest in the car, or let water hit it in the shower. I also have TMJ that became severe in my 20's & caused some weird cyst to grow in my chin that had to be removed. Am 40 now.
    ***Pixie***
  4. bejo

bejo New Member

Had a brain scan several years ago.First let me say that I was happy that they found a brain.LOL Seriously,the Dr. said I had a flat place on my scull that would either mean I had gone through a windshield,or any hard blow like that,or I had been dropped on my head when I was a baby.Since I had not had a head injury that I knew of it had to happen when I was a baby. bejo
  5. imalive

imalive New Member

when I was 4 I fell out of a bunk bed broke my arm and had a hudge bruse on my fourhead I was kept over night because of the bruse but nothing else was ever done And I have suffered from head ackes as far back as I can remember.
    IMALIVE
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know that any stress, illness, or trauma can trigger our illnesses, but I have to really wonder about the head trauma connection. Our illnesses are, I believe, neurological in nature. Head injuries have sooooo many symptoms which are like ours. I have had clients with head injuries. Their cognitive problems are so similar to what I experience.

I was just a little curious as to whether there was a high incidence of head injuries among our members. I think head injuries are pretty common in the population at large, but the head injuries my Mom, my girls, and I suffered were pretty bad. Mom said after hers, she was never able to learn and concentrate the same. One of my daughters and I had third nerve injuries from concussions suffered in separate incidents and we both had double vision and had to have visual therapy afterward. My other daughter totalled her VW bug and left a dent in the door frame where her head hit it.

Thanks again. I doubt any serious research has been done or will be done on this because I really don't think head injuries are "the cause" of our illnesses; however, I am wondering whether head injury exacerbates the symptoms later on or whether some of the cognitive problems associated with our illnesses may be permanent in people who have suffered head injuries.

A woman here who recovered from CFS told me that she recovered her memory and concentration, including memories which she thought were gone forever. I am hoping as I slooooooowly get better, my mental faculties will improve as well. I can see some improvement, especially since taking the ENADA, but I am soooooo impatient.

Love, Mikie
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have had several head injuries in my life. The first was a fall onto a concrete porch from a rocking chair when I was less than a year old. My mom tells me I was quite a monkey then, just like my own daughter was at that age!

More recently I had two falls at school. One was about five years ago and the other just last spring during my attempt to return to work part-time. Both times I went to the ER.

The first I was quite disoriented, but since they skipped the triage stage they missed that until I mentioned that when I called my insurance company I couldn't remember my address.

The second time the paramedics happened to be at the school at the time so they came and checked me out. My BP was higher than ever and for that reason alone they were going to transport me to the ER, let alone the fact that I had a gaping wound that I could stick my finger into.

I never really thought about these haaving anything to do with my cognitvie problems, which are numerous, but the psychologist who did my neuro/psych exam for SSDI (I hired him at the recommendation fo my attorney) mentioned in his report that I had these head injuries which could contribute to my extensive difficulties on his tests.

Barbara
  8. missymiss

missymiss New Member

It's funny you mention it. 10 years ago I suffered cracking my head open. I have a history of fainting and fitting, and a few years back was having brain tests etc, but everything was negative. Now, a few people have mentioned that since having been diagnosed, it could well be another cause of my CFS.. It's a great wonder..
    *Missymiss*
  9. 2girls

2girls New Member

I had to think about this one. I did in fact have a head injury at the age of 14. My cousin and I were goofing around - he picked me up by the legs really high and lost a grip on me. I slammed head first on the basement concrete. Lost consciousness - when I came too there was alot of blood and was rushed to the hospital. My forehead took the full brunt of the fall - docs asked the typical "how many fingers/what day is it" type questions, plastic surgeon stiched me up and I was on my way.
    I wonder if there is a connection. I did not manifest any symptoms until almost 20 years later.

2girls
  10. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Before I was dx with Fibro I fell and hit the back of my head *hard* on the ice while ice skating. A year or two later I started having grandmal seizures out of the blue. The last seizure resulted in 2 fractured vertabrae in my upper back. It was soon after that I was dx with the Fibro.

But.........I read my old medical records from 30 years ago and see where I was having the same Fibro symptoms I am having now. I know I wasn't feeling that bad then because I was having babies and rasing them and I thought doing well. I don't know. It's all weird. I think everyone should keep a daily diary as to how they feel before they get sick and after too.

Just my thoughts.

Kalli
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I did have a head injury, I was about 18 years old.
    We were in City Park in New Orleans, they have a bridge there that is called the 'thrill bridge', we went over it so fast that the car was airborne, when it hit the ground, my head hit the roof of the car, hard.

I had a slight concussion, headaches for a week or so, but it was not considered serious.

Bejo, you are braver than I, I would be afraid to have a brain scan, they might not find a brain!

Shalom, Shirl
  12. baybe

baybe New Member

Mikie,
    Not sure of the rules, but there is a study being done funded by the NIH on Head Injuries and Fibromyalgia. I was lucky enough to go and have a brain map done by the woman who is conducting the research. Devin Starlynal heads my local support group so I have been able to get inside info on some of the latest stuff. I couldn't afford to keep it up, not because of the cost of the service, but I live in VT and between travel and hotels it adds up. The woman's name is Marylee Estes and what she does is maps your brain and then give electronic feedback to certain areas that are in need of adjustment, the basic research is about head injury and fibro, I was amazed at the number of injuries I had when I actually sat down and thought about it. After a week long session, which included massage, biofeedback and her electronic feed back, I regained my reading skills and amazingly enough my night vision came back. Anyway, her study might be of interest to you and I believe it is going to be of great help to us. My one week session was a great help to me and there was more work I could have had done. Good luck with your research and I can give you more info if you are interested.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2003]
  13. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

but some days I fell like something is wrong with my head LOL
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you. Anything you know about this research would be of interest not only to me, but to our members as well. Please feel free to fill us in on whatever you think will be helpful to us. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find on this. Very interesting!

Love, Mikie
  15. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Closed head injury in a car accident where the paramedics left me for dead (that's what the cops told me later). I was unconscious for almost a day. Tests 10 yrs. later showed brain working at 45 % of normal. Fibro started at the exact spot of the injury, 13 months later. There is no history of Fibro anywhere in my family.
    Klutzo
  16. ozgran

ozgran New Member

head injuries during younger years and then severe whiplash in a car accident in 1993. Was never the same after that with soft tissue damage all down one side of my body. Love Ozgran
  17. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, Mikie I had a very bad concussion. I was in the hospital 3 days with that. Then later on I had another accident where I had a slight concussion. Wouldn`t that suck if our head injuries caused all our suffering with this Dd? Just thing of all the people every year that have head injuries that could end up with this suffering like us.
    When I had my concussion I was young and thought I was invincible like young people do. I thought it was no big deal. But my mother used to say " You`re going to be hurting when you get older from those injuries!" Boy, how right she was.
  18. clueless

clueless New Member

I fell on the ice with my arms full of groceries. Held on to the groceries but went down full length and struck my head on the ice. I did`nt know where I was driving and ended up at my daughters house. I was mentally out of balance. I went to work the next day but became physically ill and went to the doctor. He suspected skull fracture but it was a concussion and neck injuries. I was really sick for a while and have taken a few falls and a back-end accident since then.
    I do wonder how much this all had to do with my fibro and the surgery that sent me into a final abyss of burning pain.
    It will be interesting to see how many of us had these injuries. Clueless
  19. kaths

kaths New Member

In seventh grade, I fell out of the top bunk bed onto the hard wood floor my mother had to have in our new house. I broke my leg and bunged my head. I remember complaining mightily that my head hurt while the ER doctor set my leg, which he seemed much more interested in. I also remember being awakened every few hours that night and my parents shining a flashlight in my eyes, so evidently I had a concussion.

As a precursor to my CFIDS, it must have triggered a delayed onset of, say, 35 years. However, I've suffered whiplash in three or four car accidents in the last 15 years (only one was my fault!).

Interesting theory, Mikie.

Kathy
  20. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Wow, This is so sad to read all these...

My first bad one was when I was 9yrs.old- I fell off the "swing-trapeze" at school, (? 3' off ground?), and landed on my head. Mom took me home, could not afford the Hospital. I could not see well, or walk without help. I can Feel a 'crack' in my scull, on the top, right side!
    The second was when I was 25yrs.old- motorcycle accident, 25yrs. ago. A car pulled in front of me and I ran into him, scraping the ground with my head. FM/CFS symptoms started 5 yrs. later. Whiplash in cerv. vert. showed up in X-rays 10yrs. ago, and now in severe pain with occaisional "electrical shocks" & X-rays show those vert's are fusing together in "step" fashion, and squishing that column thing in the middle...
    Fibromiester