How many of you are health nuts? I mean that in a good way.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Feb 26, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I've become consumed with learning all that I can about healthy living. But, especially nutrition and supplements.
    I doubt I will ever get all this straight, but at this point I have a nutritional reason for all the foods that I am eating. Not complete knowledge, of course, but more than I ever knew before.

I'm eating sprouts, drinking distilled water, using protein powders, organic foods whenever reasonable, etc.

Anyone else ?

Marcia
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I am a vegetarian.
    I eat a lot of veggies ( organic when possible, it's expensive:)
    Low sugar fruit
    Soy protein powder
    beans and legumes
    meat substitues
    drink 10 to 12 glasses of filtered water a day
    take several supplementuse to work out a lot, now I walk only 10 to 15 min. a day:(
    I do love sweets though, so I try to treat myself with dark chocolate which is a bit better for me.:)
    That's all I can think of right now.:)
    Claudia
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

exercise, no chemicals in house if we can help it. I do not believe in taking too many supplements or doing other stuff. It overtaxes the body as it works to excrete all the excess. My urologist is telling me that people who overdo vitamins and herbal supplements cause kidney damage due to making the kidneys work overload also liver. He feels they are just as bad as bad foodstuffs. Moderation in all things. I think a nice treat is just that.

I think people can get neurotic and go overboard. The good Lord gave all we need, and we should try and follow this. I think that organic is the only way and used to be the only way until big agribusiness stepped in.\
    If anyone visited a battery hen house you would never eat that chicken or eggs. Ditto for cows raised unnaturally.

Each to their own but I do see some so called health food trends are quite dangerous for many and can also turn out to be not that healthy.

Anyway I'm having a Chinese meal tonight no MSG.

Love Anne C
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi again. I didn't mean to say that I was taking a bunch of supplements. It's mostly the foods, I am consumed with.
    I'm also learning about herbal teas, spices, herbs, and natural remedies like bee pollen. Not experimenting that much yet.

It was a pain switching to a healthy/vegan/celiac diet, but I really don't enjoy the taste of the old foods anymore. That doesn't mean I don't miss the old foods, they just aren't as good as I remember. That pizza sounds delicious.

And,I am not here to judge anyone for not becoming a health nut. I'm 50 years old and just decided to try it and thought I would see if anyone else was.

Marcia
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It was just a general comment so that people don't go too overboard. A healthy diet is always best, but I also think there is hype about it too, not meaning you sweetie.

Love Anne C
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Cromwell - No, you didn't offend me. I had said I was into supplements, so I wanted to clear that up. I'm mostly concentrating on healthy foods right now.

I am just working through my own feelings about becoming a health nut and wondered if anyone else was going through this too.

It's a whole new world for me. I existed on fast foods for 40+ years. I started eating healthier a few years ago, but I was just following the FDA food chart. Now, I am eating for nutrients.

I'm happy with my decision to eat healthier, just new to the whole healthy lifestyle regime.

Marcia

7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i started aking a multi-vitamin and magnesium supplements. but thats about it. i can't commit to other lifestyle changes right now. just taking vitamins is a big step for me.
    rachel
  8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Eventually when you get comfortable with the new knowledge and new eating routines, the all consuming part fades away and you adapt to your new lifestyle changes.

Stormysky,

That's what it is. I am comfortable with a lot of the changes I've made and I don't even think about those anymore. I'm just still overwhelmed when I look into something new and try to comprehend it. It's like moving to a foreign country - the language, foods, and people are different. The health food store is finally becoming more familiar turf to me now.

How long have you been doing this ? I've been at it for 6 months now. And I've seen a huge improvement in my stomach issues and some improvement in my energy and brain fog.
    How about you ?

Marcia
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

That's what I was trying to say.

For me, it has not been life changing as I have always eaten this way. The only change is that I became an ovo/fish veggie about 30 years ago, prior to, I ate meat. My mom made the best healthy food, grew most of our own, dad raised own chickens and dare I say rabbits for food so you know why I became a veggie now!!!!(poor bunnies) Still, in UK for years after WW 2 food was on ration, so one had to do what one could. Strangely, people mamanged OK on what would be considered almost starvation diet nowadays.

I would say the thing I used to eat too much of at school would be the deserts-they were good, fruit based, but sugary. I don't care for sugar much and have never liked soda.

EXCEPT in UK when I was a kid one could stull buy natural dandelion and burdock drink-boy it was so good. Fizzy, hit the back of your mouth too. Nowadays it is all chemical.

I have a great deal of admiration for those people willing to take their health into their own hands and switch from bad diet to good. Well done!!!

Love Anne C
  10. vickiw

vickiw Member

by my pals at work, but since they eat pretty awful diets that may not be saying much :).

I never ate much fast food, other than Chinese or pizza. McD's and the like never seemed to agree with me.

Over the last few months, I have given up caffeine and sugar. I have started eating more fresh organic vegetables and fewer fruits in general (I used to eat more fruits than veges). My energy level is more even throughout the day.

Last November, I gave up dairy for 2 weeks as an experiment and found that my sinus headaches disappeared too, so I consume VERY little dairy these days.

After finding out that wheat intolerance (possibly Celiac's Disease) runs in my family, I have been eating a gluten free diet. The brain fog has lifted and my energy level has gone up a tiny smidgen. I plan to stay off gluten for at least 6 months to see if I have further improvement.

I still eat meat and have no plans at this time to go vegetarian. I'm trying to buy healthier meats (no antibiotics, organic, etc), but hubby, who does most of the shopping, still needs to be convinced.

I do take a variety of supplements because I don't feel my body is processing food as well as it could be these days. If at some point, I feel better, I'll consider cutting back.

Vicki

11. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I am having trouble with this part. Absolutely, no one I know is eating "healthy", much less like me.

I noticed that my energy level is more even throughout the day too. And I am trying to cut back on fruits and eat more veggies. I am finding it easier now that I am craving veggies too. Brussel sprouts, who knew ?

I am committed to the celiac diet for now. I saw at celiac.com where it takes awhile to heal from celiac.

And I am off meat. Not by choice initially, but even when I tried the "clean" meats, I realized that it wasn't really the meat I was missing, it was the BBQ sauce or the sauteed onions.

My weakness right now is sugar. I try to stay away from it, but it keeps calling my name.

Congrats on the diet all of you. I know what you are going through.

Thanks for your posts
    Marcia

12. Daisys

Daisys Member

I also am staying away from grains and gluten. It's a real challenge, but the difference in my health makes it worth the effort.
    I shop the outer edges of the grocery store where the whole food is: meat, cheese, eggs, fresh veggies and fruit. I eat only grass-fed beef, free range chicken and eggs, and organic veggies as often as is reasonable (for my budget!). Even with all that extra care, I feel the need to supplement, because I wonder about the state of the soil that food is grown in, and have heard the amount of nutrients in fresh food does not compare to what people ate in times past. I don't know, so I just consider vitamins as insurance.
    So I feel like a health nut. But if you look at what I eat, I think it's how people ate before WW2. Except no gluten. Oh, and I also avoid sugar.
  13. seabulls69

seabulls69 New Member

Hi Marcia,

Both my fiancee and I have FMS. She's had it longer and quite a bit worse than I. Since I got on a health kick in October, we have been eating a lot better (more raw veges, no junk food, lower fats etc.) and exercising as much as tolerable. I take supplements like 5-HTP and malic acid etc., but she won't. I believe they all have helped me as I now have occasional mild pain and the brain fog is rarely a problem. She still has mostly bad days, but the good days seem to be increasing gradually.

There's a bunch of great info on coping with FMS on: http://www.fms-help.com/. Dominie, the site owner, has done tons of homework and put together lots of useful tips.

Craig
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The Chinese food was really awful, sorry I indulged. It was clearly left over from the Sunday buffet. YUK. Make my own next time.

I also wanted to say that 35 years ago everyone poopooed my diet, they would make a big deal about it as they chomped away on donuts and cugged the coffee.

NOW though almost all those same people are following the same diet they laughed about. People do come around from time to time.

I just take my own food when we go to bbq's or whatever, and just eat it and say nothing. People now I notice do get some veggie burgers and tofu sausage and such for the BBQ's as several people are not going to eat the meat.

My DH eats grass fed organic meat and fowl too. I would only I only eat what I would be prepared to kill myself, which is fish. Just my big deal, no relflection on others.

I think as Storm mentions some people do go too overboard and get stuck on that, but all the posts here seem sensible to me. I think this is what my doc meant too.

Love Anne C
  15. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I started changing my eating habits after I realized that my juvenile diabetes isn't going to go away and that this is a pretty important disease to get my hands on. I think I would have been a health nut anyway, but it certainly pushed me at a early age.

I think what changed my attitude about junk foods was reading really good books about nutrition. This started about 15 years ago. After reading what crappy food does to your body, I just didn't want it anymore.

Junk food for me would be brown rice seasalt chips, organic icecream, Kashi cereals(because their processed),etc. I live in a town where it's very easy to eat really healthy. We have Whole Foods(2 mi away), Wild Oats, Vitamin Cottage, organic restaurants, sushi bars, great Chinese food, great indian foods, great Thai restaurants(my favorite) which have really good spring rolls, but of course, they're deep fried. I eat them too, but just not every time I go there.

I take alot of vitamins, some doctors have told me to take, some are for my diabetes and my Hashi's (thyroid). I think if you stick to the high end vitamins, and healthy foods, you don't need as much. However, if you're toxic like me (mercury and pesticides) than you have to take alot of antioxidants, mag. etc. I just got diagnosed two weeks ago. It's the reason for my fatigue, memmory lapses, etc.

Those of you who want to read a really good and informative book(my doc is making me read it) read "Detoxify or Die" by Sherry Rogers, M.D. It will tell you where your strange and not so strange symptoms are coming from and what to do about it. I can't recommend it enough!!!

Take care everyone,

skierchik
  16. suzetal

suzetal New Member

With all my problems......But am not.

I don't go out.........So DH does all the shopping and buys what he and his Dad likes .............I never tell him what I would like because I never feel like eating.......There are days I have one meal a banana or an apple.........I don't think thats a healthy meal..But I cant help it....Im never hungry.

But go figure I have gained 60lbs in 1 and 1/2 years...

Sue