How many of you are self medicate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carolyn0508, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

By that I mean try different supplements, food additives etc. I'm always adding this, stopping that, experimenting with doses of vitamins and other supplements. I also take a couple of prescip meds and do a drug interaction check to see if there's anything I shouldn't take with them. My family says I shouldn't do that on my own. A rheumy I once went to said if you hear of something you think might help with fibro (since it's such a puzzling disease) try it and let me know if it works. I've gotten lots of good ideas on this board,and have tried some remedies I hadn't know about before. Just wondering how everyone else proceeds. Thanks!

Blessings & Cheers
    Carolyn
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I am self diagnosed, therefore, I am self treated. I do alot of research on supplements here and elsewhere (Internet, books, etc.). I try to introduce one new supplement at a time. I read up on it thouroughly to see if there's any need to take it, what it's supposed to help, dosage, etc. If it doesn't seem to be helping in a couple months, I stop taking it. For example, I had heard many good things about Fish oil/Flaxseed oil, so I took that and noticed no improvement. I stopped taking it. I know I should probably take it just because I don't eat any seafood, but my money is tight and I can only afford to take supps with noticable effects for me.

I just received a copy of the Trigger Point book that has been talked about recently by Clair Davies. I just started reading it and am very hopeful!!

Debbie