How many of you had an accident?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ABLUV, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I've talked to a lot of people w/ CFS and Fibro and most of them had some kind of accident before the symptoms of these illnesses started.

I had a car crash when I was 23. 3 days after the wreck my body locked up; I couldn't do anything. Hubby took me to ER they said it was whiplash and gave me flexoril and told me to rest for 3 days. After my body unlocked I seemed normal but I had some neurological weird stuff happening every since the wreck that progressed into full blown CFIDS.

Anybody else have this kind of story to tell?
  2. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I had a fall and thought I was fine. About 4 hrs later I was numb from my right ear to my elbow and horrid neck pain. That was the beginning of my fibromyalgia. I ended up in the hospital in traction as somehow my vegas sp.? nerve was damaged and my diaphragm on the right side became stationary so my right lung would not inflate all the way. That was about 1989. I was finally diagnosed with fibro about 1991 or 92 and they called is fibrocitis sp? then.
  3. whoachief

whoachief New Member

Had an auto accident in 1993 with "whiplash". Never felt the same after that!
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had a car accident with a head injury. The police told me later that I was declared dead on the scene! A day later, when I regained consciousness, I had some mild memory and math problems, which were temporary, then whiplash that lasted months, followed by daily headaches. 13 months later, just as I was recovering from the flu, I woke up one morning with full blown FMS/CFS.

5. homesheba

homesheba New Member

backward on my head and neck
    and had bad concussion
    and plus also had- apart fron other things-
    i always kinda felt this stuff brought on my fibro somehow...
  6. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

3 years ago I had surgery on my shoulder. Shortly after my symptoms started. Unfortunatly there is no way I can prove my shouder injury ( workers comp) kicked off my FM. I am sorry about your accident and CFS/Fibro. You are so young. Thanks, Jenn
  7. pasara

pasara New Member

i was hit by a car while riding my bike. Head injury and severe whiplash.
  8. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

Hi, I had a back disc and facet joint snowmobiling injury 3 years ago which left me in severe pain and not sleeping and shortly after starting developing FM symptoms but diagnosed in April...
  9. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I banged my head and started slowly with fm symptoms.....full blown fm six months after accident and hasn't stopped yet (been over a year)
  10. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

in my right knee in May 2006. Had ACL reconstruction surgery that July.

I was having what I now believe were CFIDS symptoms before then, but everything went downhill after that surgery.
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I broke my arm in December of 2003. Previously, I had not had any symptoms of Fibro.

However, I suspect that I have always had CFS but not enough to affect my life.

After the accident, the CFS bloomed. Yuk!!

12. girl31

girl31 New Member

Yes I have cervical strain from being rear ended in February of this year. PT did nothing. My neck muscles and upper back are still very tight and stiff. I have headaches every day. The pain has spread to my legs and I have a lot of stiffness there too. I was dx with fibro in June....I was very active and athletic before the accident. This is all very frustrating. Now I'm exhausted and in pain all the time! Found out I have interstitial cystitis too :(
  13. scott66

scott66 New Member

My Accident was from a very rough chiropractic adjustment. He pushed down on my cervicle area so hard and fast It felt like being in a car accident. That secound I knew something bad happend. He even asked if I was alright.Couple months later I had pain through my whole body. Than I finally got diagnosed with fm. myafacial pain syndrome. That was in 94. I will never forget that day. That interupted my whole life..
  14. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

My horse slammed me in the face with the back of her head when I was in my 20's(She had spooked so I can't blame her).That was when my pain started in my neck,but being stubborn never had it checked out until a few yrs ago.Then found out that I have fibro.I just didn't go much to Dr until then,was busy taking care of everyone else! Robin
  15. gongee

gongee New Member

I was in a head on car accident. I was knocked unconscience, broken ribs, pelvic,knee, whiplash from the front and back, jaw was shifted back and to the right along with bruises and cuts all over. Before the accident, I could do anything, but since it has been a downhill battle.
  16. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

I was hurt in a bus accident. I had instant numbness to my right arm and hand, which happened shortly afterwards. That ended up being two herniated cervical disks, which was not diagnosed at the time of the accident. Trouble since and after corrective surgery.
  17. ETN

ETN New Member

I had been sick most of my life with respiratory problems, asthma, ears, sinuses, you name it. That kind of stuff. After the birth of my last son in which I had a kidney infection from 31 weeks on, I never felt better.
    I was dx with fibro Oct 2002 from a new dr and was getting a bit better when I was in a severe car accident March 1 , 2003. I was hit on the driver side going through a green light when someone ran a red light. I hit my head and had instant pain in my head and neck and back. I still til this day to not remember anything that happened that weekend. The funny thing is in the hospital the dr ran his finger down my back and said does the hurt. Also I heard one of the paramedics telling the dr that it was a "minor" motor vehicle accident. YA NOT

There was nothing minor about it, the guy totaled his car and did 12,000 dollars damage and broke the frame on my Expedition.

So from then on it was downhill!
  18. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

for all the responses! However, I'm sorry that all of us are suffering with such pain and woe.

Looking at all your feedback it seems that an accident or surgery can either start Fibro/CFS or bring it to the surface when it has been lying dormant. Either way, there is a connection between the trauma of an accident or surgery and our illnesses, don't you think?
  19. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Down the stairs onto a friend's concrete garage floor.

I had weird, chronic upper respiratory infections off and on prior to the falling down--Drs. said it was stress. But it was immediately after that fall that the symptoms became more severe.

Prior to that fall, I've been exposed to Agent Orange, black mold, and formaldehyde in college.

Love and hugs,

20. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i have been in numerous accidents, one in which my head cracked the windshield. :)
    Ive fainted and hit my head, I've been in a snow sledding accident and hit my head, ...

so ya...count me in.