How many of you have been called hypochondriacs by docs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2sic2mooov, Nov 18, 2008.

1. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

I have never had a doc say this directly to me but they sure make us FEEL this way.I have even looked on my records to see if anything of this sort has ever been documented. I am wondering if there have been CFS sufferers who have actually had a doc say straight to your face that you are hypochondriacl and then push you off to a Psych.

I find myself looking and researching and just POURING over any info I can get to see what I can find to help me. But when you even mention this to doc, they think we are dreaming up diseases that we would maybe like to HAVE or really are AFRAID that we have. I find that researching and looking at my test results is merely proactive self-help and may help find a reason I feel like this. it makes me so angry that docs take this as stepping on their toes and then want to tell us we are looking for problems.KNowing these docs admit they don't have a cure or cause I believe gives me the right and is my responsibility to myself to do all I can.

As stated in another post, we as an affected whole---the millions that have CFIDS know more about our disease that docs that don't specialize in it, because we have the time, drive, and fear enought to know that if WE don't do it, not many others are out batting for us. But why do the docs get so rattled when we find matching symptoms to other conditions and we want to be assured it is not something we have that they may have missed. I mean, there are THOUSANDS of diseases and disorders out there. They are not always right in Dx so I don't think it is our of line to bring attention to docs when we find something. Or even new ideas for treatment for CFS or Fibro. Or studies that have shown some real promise.

Instead, we often get docs that shuttle us out the door, pass the promising new tx possiblility on junk medicine, or they even get very threatened that we are questioning their intelligence and ability. How many of you have had downright angry docs that don't want us looking for answers and bringing that info to them? Or docs that say straight out (STILL) that this is all in your head and you are a complete hypochondriac. How do you respond to that and how do you bring info to a doc like this and have them take it seriously or even try to get them to take the TIME to read new reports from studies?

Sorry for some venting...am very frustrated this week with new symptoms and having nurses on my "team" get very concerned but then doc sees you and says their is nothing to be worried about. AAAArrrrggghhhhh!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2008]
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I went to a doc that actually yelled at me when I refused her prescrip for nut drugs. She wanted to stick me on all kinds of antidepressants, no other treatment. And I said there is nothing wrong with my brain chemistry, I have a PHYSICAL illness, not a mental one. And I remember her yelling at me. And me going home crying. And then I later found out that she actually wrote down in my medical records, "Refuses to take antidepressants". She did NOT write down one single symptom that I had spent a half hour telling her I had. That angered me the most. I described everything. I had a list with me. Every single word I said should have been in those medical records, and they weren't.
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

It is like "uh huh uh huh ... sure ..." and it does make you feel like why do I bother coming here? Also it makes me wonder if other things may be overlooked or mis-dxd because of this?

My family is the worst. They do not take me seriously about my health issues at all. My son says I am a hypocondriac and I just want attention. Yeah ... right.
  4. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

All sorts of illnesse?. What we are doing is simply trying to help these docs find out:

A. if they are missing something or overlooking other possible illness (considering CFS is a "rule out all others" disease.).

B. if they are not keeping up on what is available for tx.

3. (just kidding) C. If there are other non-conventional tx we can do to help ourselves.

PPPPPPUUUUULLLLLLeeeeeeeeezzzzze. If I wanted attention I would shave my head and run naked through my car wash!

If that son of yours is over 18, I would suggest that your son give up his job, social life, many foods he likes and alcohol too if he is of age(considering these things affect so many of us)...Sit in bed or on the couch for months, place a tiny irritating bell or whistle right by him to simulate the 24/7 tinninitus we have, place 20 lb weights (at least) on each extremity to simulate the weakness and unstableness we live with, and breathe in some serious vapors to simulate the dizziness we get....and the mushy brain we live with. That will mess up his concentration so he cant read anything or enjoy a TV show. Flash a good old 1000 watt light in his eyes all night so he knows what insomnia feels llike. Then with all this he will find his muscles wasting away and feel like an old man. (May even look that way after a few months). His appetite might be a mess, by either gaining or losing weight and that is not too excitiing either way. Plus, he might have to ask for someone to help with driving bc he is now not "together" to do so. And might have to ask for help in cooking or cleaning up after himself...and maybe even cleaning up HIM. (Degrading).I can see how he would want this type of "attention". (Sarcasm).
  5. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

about having all sorts of illnesse?. What we are doing is simply trying to help these docs find out:

A. if they are missing something or overlooking other possible illness (considering CFS is a "rule out all others" disease.).

B. if they are not keeping up on what is available for tx.

3. (just kidding) C. If there are other non-conventional tx we can do to help ourselves.

PPPPPPUUUUULLLLLLeeeeeeeeezzzzze. If I wanted attention I would shave my head and run naked through my car wash!

If that son of yours is over 18, I would suggest that your son give up his job, social life, many foods he likes and alcohol too if he is of age(considering these things affect so many of us)...Sit in bed or on the couch for months, place a tiny irritating bell or whistle right by him to simulate the 24/7 tinninitus we have, place 20 lb weights (at least) on each extremity to simulate the weakness and unstableness we live with, and breathe in some serious vapors to simulate the dizziness we get....and the mushy brain we live with. That will mess up his concentration so he cant read anything or enjoy a TV show. Flash a good old 1000 watt light in his eyes all night so he knows what insomnia feels llike. Then with all this he will find his muscles wasting away and feel like an old man. (May even look that way after a few months). His appetite might be a mess, by either gaining or losing weight and that is not too excitiing either way. Plus, he might have to ask for someone to help with driving bc he is now not "together" to do so. And might have to ask for help in cooking or cleaning up after himself...and maybe even cleaning up HIM. (Degrading).I can see how he would want this type of "attention". (Sarcasm).
  6. dartha

dartha New Member

yes, many doctors are that way. they don't want to be out smarted by us so we must be crazy in one way or another.

What's even worse to me is when family and friends think you are making things up to "get attention" 'cause nobody could have that much wrong with them!
    Dartha