How many of you have chosen a Medicare Drug Plan?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Sep 19, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I take 14 medications. I'm sitting here about to cry as I pick which ones I can live without because the cheapest plan will cost me over $4,000 per year. Let's see, I get a little over $10,000 per year and if I pay out $4,000, I will have $500 left per month and my house payment is over $700. Yeah, that works. How do others do it?
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Is the $4,000 per year what it will cost you with all your co-pays? I went to the Medicare.gov website and there are Medigap plans in Illinois that cost roughly $30 to $50 a month, which include the premium for prescription drug coverage. Then you add the co-pay for each drug onto that.

14 meds is a lot. If I were you, I would check out a naturopathic doctor and see if they can get you off of some of your meds.

Also, some meds are cheaper if you get them in 90-day supplies.

And just the other day Suzetal did a post entitled: "Affording your Meds.Try these Long But Very Good ListFor Help" - go to this post and she has a long list of places to help you get your meds if you are low-income.

I hope this helps --

Mary
  3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I'll try looking at Medigap. I'm just in a catch 22 because I applied for extra help over a month ago. It's hard to pick a plan without knowing what I will actually have to pay but I only have until the end of the month to choose.

I'll check out the post. It wouldn't be good to mess with many of my meds. Some are for High blood pressure and diabetes. I have been experimenting with my doctor for three years to get me to sleep. I'm not willing to go through that with anyone again.[This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  4. Linn3

Linn3 New Member

I was just approved for medicare and had to choose a prescription plan. The plan I chose has the $2250 cap and then the $3600 "donut hole". The plan I chose is called HIGHMARK SELECT BLUE DELUX PLAN. The prescriptions I take are part of their drug formulary (at least right now, who knows what it will be next year). This plan covers generic prescriptions when I reach the donut hole with only co pays due.

Good luck cjcookie, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I wanted extra medical coverage as well cause Medicare does not pay all of it.

I am about to reach my cap this month.I take 13 medications.Once I reach that cap I am on my own to pay full price on my scripts generic or not.I will have no script coverage till January 1.

This is what happens.The initial coverage limit is 2250.00.They all have a limit except for the most expensive plan.That will cover you as long as you get generics.

So what this means is once my insurance Company pays a total of 2250.00 I need to spend out of pocket 3461.38 before they will pay anymore.

In January I am taking the more expensive plan cause I only have one med that is not generic and doctor told me he would supply me with free samples every month.

I hope you can understand what I am saying .Its 2:35 AM here and I have not slept.

There is a # you can call to get the facts.1-800-Medicare.Dont talk to the recording.Say agent and you will get a person that can answer all your questions.

If you are single and only make that much you can apply for Catastrophic Coverage.Please call them I am sure they will be able to help.

Also the other day I posted a list of were you can get help for your medications.Please look up my post it list help in Illinois also plus it has drug companies that will give you medication at no charge or a very small amount co pay.

Give it all a shot you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck I hope it works out for you.

Hugs
    Sue