How many of you have depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kim, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

I'm curious as to how many of you have been diagnosed with clinical depression. If you have to you consider your depression mild, moderate, or severe and how do you treat it.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at Mayo Clinic in 1999 and shortly after that had a major depressive episode which lasted over six months and was only relieved with electroconvulsive therapy. I'd really like to know how many of you here have battled with clinical depression.

Thank you and God bless.

kim
  2. Kim

Kim New Member

I'm curious as to how many of you have been diagnosed with clinical depression. If you have to you consider your depression mild, moderate, or severe and how do you treat it.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at Mayo Clinic in 1999 and shortly after that had a major depressive episode which lasted over six months and was only relieved with electroconvulsive therapy. I'd really like to know how many of you here have battled with clinical depression.

Thank you and God bless.

kim
  3. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

I suffered through several major depressive episodes during the 80's. I wasn't diagnosed with fibro until 2000, but I think the depressions were related to it.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think I probably went through a period of true clinical depression about 6 months into FMS---after I'd had every other scary disease eliminated, & FMS was diagnosed, I went through the anger, grief & finally settled into depression. What I did was find a chronic illness therapist to talk to, and I saw her for about a year--she really helped me learn to accept & cope with this. I stopped fighting it so much. From about 18 months on, I have felt like, while I definitely still have down days, I'm not really depressed any more. I think everybody comes to this point in their own time, but for me, the therapy helped. (I didn't do anti-depressants; major problems with drug side effects, but I know the right drug may be helpful for many). Good luck to you, I hope things are better for you these days as far as the depression goes...

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I have been pretty much depressed since I was a child (I'm 38 now). I have tried several anti-depressants, but they never seemed to work for me. My dr. put me on fish oil, for something else, and wow what a difference it has made in my depression.

I ran out for a few weeks, and the depression returned. I tried drinking flax oil, while waiting for my order of fish oil to arrive, and while it did help a little, it didn't really compare to fish oil. Within a matter of days on the fish oil, my depression has again lifted.

Please go to the library (at this site) and do a search on fish oil (epa/dha). You should find a nice article on the link between depression and this mood altering supplement. Also, note that all fish oil is NOT equal. While eating fish can be controversial, due to toxic contaminents, you CAN find fish oil that is certified free of these toxins. Also, some fish oil is easily burped, leaving a horrible aftertaste. I really like Metagenics brand, but then again I've only tried two brands and the other was awful.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  6. Mariah

Mariah New Member

AKA Manic Depression.
  7. Kim

Kim New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I agree 100% about the fish oil. Within days after starting DHA neuromins my mind became sharper. I've done extensive research on alternatives to traditional meds for depression since I can't tolerate antidepressants.

I'm currently taking DHA, AHA, flaxoil, evening primrose oil, rosemary, isoflavones, SAMe, 5HTP, B-complex, B-12 injections, lipoic acid, full range of vitamins and minerals, extra magnesium (malic acid seems to bother me for some reason), CoQ10.

Exercise and massage therapy also help me tremendously. Last week I started accupuncture to see if I can get relief from dizziness and neck pain.

Thank you again and bless you all.

kim
  8. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

I have suffered all my life but only diagnosed in 1989 and have been on everything. I am now on Lexapro and Zyprexa. It seems like the anti-depressents work for awhile and depression wields its ugly head again. Its a disease,just as Fibro and hard to deal with. I feel for everyone who has both these dreaded disease and hope it will be eradicated in my lifetime. Gentle Hugs Terri
  9. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

for most of my adult life (almost 49now)..And I wasn't diagnosed with Fibro until about 10yrs ago..
    Depression/Anxiety Disorder runs in my family...
    Been on medication steadily since 1987, before that I would go on and off when really needed..
    Take Care.........Donna
  10. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

HELLO KIM,
    HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED W/POST TRAMATIC STRESS DISORDER, HAD A MAJOR MELT DOWN IN 80'S AND RECURRENT EPISODES SINCE. LOST
    TOTAL TOUCH AND FOUGHT BACK FOR MY MIND. IT'S NEVER EASY, BUT MY FAITH HELPED ME MORE THAN MOST MEDS. READ MY BIBLE
    EVERY DAY. EVEN WHEN WE FEEL THE MOST ALONE, GOD IW THERE, AND HE CARES. AM LOOKING FOR NEW MED MYSELF, JUST WENT THROUGH THE PITSFOR TWO WEEKS. THE FIRST TIME WAS FOR TWO YEARS.TRY TO KEEP IN MIND IT'S NOT YOU, IT IS A LACK OF CHEMICAL IN YOUR BRAIN. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.ALSO HAVE FIBRO AND A FEW OTHER THINGS TO BOOT, BUT THEN I AM ALMOST 60. BUT HAVE HAD EPISODES SINCE I WAS THIRTY.THAT SHOULD MAKE ME A PRO, YET WHEN THE DEPRESSION HITS, I FEEL LIKE I DON'T KNOW MUCH.
    EACH PERSON IS DIFFERENT! KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE,
    AND WE ARE HERE FOR YOU. KEEP IN TOUCH, AND YOU CAN ASK ME ANYTHING AND I WILL SHAREWITH YOU. WE ALL NEED FRIENDS...
    1MAQT
  11. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I've had depression for about 8 yrs. so far. It shuffles between Mild and Moderate. I was on Zoloft for about 5 yrs.
    After that I tried a series of different ones and now I've been on Prozac for the last 2 yrs. and am satisfied with it so far. It seems to keep me from having the "Screaming Mimi's"....

Love,
    HOB
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

severe depressive episodes; right now, I am symptom free of this. I take no antidepressants, but I have tried every one on the market only to suffer from numerous adverse effects, the least being extreme weight gain. I just refuse to do this anymore UNLESS I am suicidal again. I suffer from sleep deprivation when I am depressed, but I don't know which causes what....lack of sleep causes the depression or depression causes the insomnia. So, I treat the insomnia and hope that the depression won't rear it's ugly head! So far so good!! Depression has struck every one of my family members and it has been, at times, quite severe. I tend to isolate myself and become a mute hermit when I get seriously depressed, so my loved ones notice it quickly and usually before I do. This was hard for me to admit to having because my mother was institutionalized in a mental hospital during my childhood and I have resisted being anything like her my entire life. How unfair of me and I am so ashamed of being ashamed of my little Mama!! She is no longer alive and I regret so many of the feelings I had about her. She didn't cause her depression any more than I caused mine. It's a horrible condition and I have so much empathy for anyone suffering with it.
    Love,
    kady
  13. Kim

Kim New Member

As I continue my battle with FM and depression I am led to write a book that will help caregivers of those afflicted with depression. As those of you who have read my posts know I've published textbooks and still manage to teach at the college level. This semester has been very hard and at times I feel like I'm cheating my students. Some nights were filled with pain, fatigue, and the fibro fog. My faith is the only thing that gets me from day to day, class to class, bed to shower.

Thank you all so much for your comments. Besides soothing me and comforting me they have provided me with confirmation that this book needs to be written by someone who is going through it.

God bless.

Kim
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I have been diagnosed with PTSD for
    a long time and though I've had FM
    for over 20 years have only been diagnosed and TREATED for a little over two years. My daughter also has FM and some anxiety problems. When my
    dad died in '90 I checked myself into
    the hospital for the depression, ended up being an eating disorder hospital and very unprepared for a
    depressed patient. After two weeks I
    checked myself out and weeded though
    it myself eventually. I was on Prozac
    (the only one that didn't give me side effects) for 8 years when it started giving me trouble with my asthma, rare but happens. Since then
    it's been up and down, but none of the supplements have helped me at all. When I'm flaring with the FM as
    now, the sleep problems and the depression all seem to be hand in hand trying to drag me in that dark
    hole. But I refuse to give in to it
    and just force myself to work on a
    hobby, watch an uplifting movie, read
    the bible..anything that takes the mind somewhere else. Seems there is a
    voice (not literally) in the back of
    my mind telling me that the FM is forever and that this flare will be the one that finally sends me bedbound. Being housebound is enough.
    I work all the time at convincing myself that I am stronger than all of
    these things and WILL maintain and
    WILL survive anything that comes along to try my health and faith. This self talk seems to help me. At times though it's hard to decide which thing is the worst...it's all pain, just in different forms. Anyone
    going through it right now, hang in there...it will pass for you and for
    me also! Bless you, Bambi
  15. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I've had mild to moderate depression. Have been treated by a threpist on and off over the last 3-4 yrs.

I think it's very common with this DD.
  16. Boysmom1

Boysmom1 New Member

for years, starting after the birth of my first child. i have CFIDS, have also had alot of hormone probloems over the years. I think it is all connected. I have been treated with several different kinds of antidepressants, and they have always lifted my depression. however, I can no longer take the SSRI's like prozac because I now have sexual and urinary side effects that I did not have in the past. Since I have been sick with this DD, my body has changed so much. I know I am getting older, but one should not feel this bad at 38! Now I think it was caused by this DD. I did not realize what was wrong with me and the years of guilt I piled on myself! I had felt bad for so long, that I thought it was normal.

my advice to you is to keep trying different antidepressants until you find one that works for you.
    God Bless
    Michelle

[ advertisement ]