How many of you have had injuries from falling?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tomcollins, Jun 28, 2006.

1. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

I've been lurking for awhile now, but recent events have inspired me to finally become a poster. I give you my permission to laugh at any of the following:
    I fell off the couch! Sadly, this is not the first nor the last time-though this time I managed to dislocate my shoulder and terrify my wife.

She was outside letting the doggie tinkle and I was watching tv-when I dropped my pillow on the floor. I leaned over to pick it up and I lost all of my balance and ended up face first in the carpet (I'm sure I looked like I had snapped my neck) when she came back inside.

After we restarted her heart, I quickly agreed to some ice therapy. I thought I had pulled something in my neck. We watched a movie and went to bed. She went to sleep, I stayed up-those of you who do not sleep well at night know what I am talking about.

Around 2 AM I dared to go downstairs and get a glass of something to drink. I layed down on the couch to rest before climbing the mountian that is our stairs and it happed: my shoulder made this horrid sound that I now know was my dislocated shoulder finding the socket.

I went back to bed and slept fine. This morning was another story: 2 doctors, some x-rays, a sling, and a juice smoothie (emotional support) later I realized that I had dislocated my shoulder.

It seems that statistically, sometimes when one falls eventually one gets very injured.

I was lucky to have made it this far, I fell from the most random places: the couch, toilet, sidewalk, shower, air beds, and even from just standing.

So I just wanted to know about more falling stories so I don't feel so alone and if I am alone-feel free to laugh.
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Welcome Lurker No More!

I went down my stairs at home toboggan style - twice in six months.

I was pregnant the first time (scared the crap out of me) and the baby was about 6 months the second time (scared the crap out of me AND her).

I still have an uneven patch on my back from the rug burn and my tailbone has never been the same!

Sucks to get old, doesn't it?

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

so can't give much detail with this typing - but just broke my wrist this week. i'm going to ask doc if it is related

maggy
  4. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

with my daughter on my hip. We have twelve stairs in all, but I was on the third one down.

My daughter and I both fell all the way to the bottom. My little one had a bruised knee. She limped for a few days, the Dr. said she was just fine.

I landing with my weight and my daughter's right on my ribs. I broke two ribs. My fall put me down for almost eight weeks.

I never ever carry my children on the stairs now. I am so thankful that my daughter wasn't hurt more seriously than she was.

So, You are not alone when it comes to falling. I've fell several times in the past couple of years.
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I my name is GRACE, I can trip , fall stumble over any thing. At a small child my mom heard me crying and asked me what was the matter and I told her I fell, off what she asked again. "THE FLOOR" I replied.

It was 2 years ago that I have been to a mountian man rondevous and walked far too much. I was going to sit in a hot tub at the motel my friend was staying in. So my youngest daughter and he fienace`, drove me down the mountian and to the hotel. We climbed two flights of stairs to learn that CArol was down in the poll watching the grandkids. So down we went and as I was walking across the street to the pool I noticed that my legs were feeling like lead weights were on them . AS I got to the sidewalk to get to the pool I could not pick up my feet and tripped over the sidewalk and shattered my left wirst so badly that I had to have a titaaaium plate and 6 screws put in it and it still hurts today and now is having problems with swelling and stinnging and PAIN PAIN too.

I made it to the wedding and as luch would have it her colors were navy blue and yellow. So my Navy blue sling matched my Navy blue dress. But in all the pitures she has her boquest over my wrist to that the sling didn't show.

I had a tough day at her wedding at people keep bumping my wrist and arm and I was taking some really stong pain meds and a bit out of it. MY Dear SIL stayed with me hold ing my hand the day that I did this , He held me down when the pain meds didn't work while the doctors set the bones. I was told taht I had over 500 mic's of fentynal and 20 mg's of versed adn I should have been out of it but I was wide awake and I walked out on my own two feet.

But I have tripped and fallen many times over the years and as I get dixzzzy often I don't doubt that i will fall again. although I hope not. AS I am flaring now and feel rototen and the pain in the wrist is so bad that I could just scream.
    Rosemarie
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

and yes, I have tumbled off the couch before, now I spend my down time, watching TV or reading, in my bed, so far, I haven't fallen from it.
    WHich is a good thing, as I have 3 feather mattress' on top of a simmons mattress.

I also Fall Going Up the stairs, never down, wierd huh?
    I had a serious injury back in 85 due to a fall , when I was going up a set of stairs.

I have on my Frig.s door an RX, that my Orthopedic Dr. wrote for me, and it sure has reduced the time I fall down.

He Wrote, "Quit Falling" prn daily, lol, lol.

He's a great Dr. and he believed in me, when others didn't.
    So we do make jokes about my having Bruise's, so far thats all, the size of a baskeball at times.

Do you have Perphial Nerve damage by any chance, I do and this adds to the other causes of my falling.

Good luck to you, I hope your shoulder will quit hurting.
    I had 2 Rotator Cuff op's on my right arm, so I can say,
    I Know that Pain. I'm so sorry your having it, and I hope you get better fast.

sharonk

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have had 7 bad falls in the last 12 months. Mostly lots of bruises and lacerations and soreness. However this last fall has sprained my ankle and I think I have a stress fracture in my foot - hurts like heck. The only commonality that I can link together is that I fall and hurt the right side of my body - my poor right elbow is so scarred and bruised it is ridiculous. My family is worried about me as I am too...ouch is all I can say...and you are not alone!
  8. Nikki

Nikki Member

As you can see you're not alone by any means.

Not my only, but my worst fall: I fell down the stairs at a most prominent country club (I'm not a member - was attending my 30th high school reunion).

Not only did I tumble down head over heels, I landed on a marble floor. My husband almost had a heart attack, told me not to move - he'll get help. My best friend (a nurse) told him to let me get up quickly before anyone else saw me. She understood that embarrassment trumps a broken neck . . . lol.

I was wearing an off-white suit (straight skirt), and I did not get a tear or mark on it. My friend's husband was most impressed - asked if I had been a cheerleader.

I did, however, throw my back out & could not work for a week . . . lots of pain. (This was 10 yrs b/f dx of FMS - dr. said they weren't related.)

I wonder............Nikki
  9. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

yes my hubby and I were talking about this a few years ago many yrs ago we were in Chicago. our daughter was in the hospital. and we had to walk back and forth to where we were staying I kept falling for no reasons. we laughed about it, but then it became a pattern so I think it has something to do with this D.D.

sixtyslady
  10. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I think this must be very common with our condition and with all the side effects of the medications we must take. I am often dizzy and uncoordinated. I just fell about 2 Saturdays ago and aggravated my back and thought I might have fractured it again (I did back last Summer, though not from a fall). But fortunately, it cleared up in a couple of days, so it must not be broken.

I think you are definitely not alone.
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I to have fallen many many times upstairs ,downstairs .On ice ,on grass ,in driveways,in holes or on flat surfaces gracefully and ungracefully.In more places then I can even remember.Even in other countries.I have broken bones ,skined knees and brused my pride with the best of them.

I have laughted ,cried ,rolled under cars and come to one conclustion...It's true what goes up, must come down .The real test in life is how fast you can get back up!

Have a safe Day!

12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and caused my bad discs.I've always had a few symptoms going,like IBS and lack of refreshing sleep
    It was raining and my husband had just had a stroke a few days before.I was taking out trash .It was one of those old houses with a concrete porch.I fell over the rail and landed square on my back on concrete with only a little trash breaking my fall.We didn't have insurance so I wasn't able to go to the doctor.I was out of work a whole week.I have a compressed disc in my neck,thoracic and something in my lumbar.Linda
  13. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

It's funny you should talk about this because I have had
    3 really bad fall in the last year. But I'm not even on any
    meds. What meds are you on anyway????? Barb
  14. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Yes, I trip and fall a lot ... and also just run into things, like doorways or cement posts right in front of me (I smashed the side of my hip on one recently, right in front of someone too! i felt super smooth)

I've fallen badly twice at work- I sprained my ankle in 2004 after tripping while holding a baby in my arms, I sacrificed my ankle for the kid who just ended up laying on my belly and looking around smiling as if nothing had happened ... and another time I was holding a HUGE baby and tripped outside during a fire drill and twisted my body (so not to land on the child) and ended up scraping my knees and elbows pretty badly ... blood everywhere. My coworkers were horrified but I was fine, more embarassed than anything else.

So yeah, I'm know for being a klutz while perfectly sober. I actually seem to be MORE graceful with a beer or two in me! The IRONY.

:)
  15. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I am trying to keep from doing too much and making things worse for myself. I hope that this can continue to be something that my wife and I laugh about and that it does not become something that causes more concern.

I don't think that this will be my last fall but I am glad to hear that it is a very common event. These are some great stories, though some not as funny as others. Keep them coming!!
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

from knee surgery last Thursday!

I fell out of my computer chair (while typing on this message board!!) and my legs ended up bent the wrong way and I tore and damaged the meniscus cartlage in both my knees. I just had the first one fixed. Waiting to fix the second one now.

I have also experienced falls in other parts of the house, too.