How many of you have moved for your health?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sierrasioux, Jul 17, 2003.

1. sierrasioux

sierrasioux New Member

Hello. I was just wondering how many of us have moved because of our health problems.
    I lived in Indiana for 48 years. I got married at 18, so we have been married for 30 years, and my husband retired from Cummins Engine.
    Well, as soon as he retired we moved to Tucson, Az for my fibro and arthritis. My rheumatologist had always told me that I should live in a dry climate and it has really helped.
    Right now we are in the monsoon season, which is new to me, so during this rain and humidity(off and on) for a couple of months--I feel bad again.
    But it is sooooooo much better only having a couple of bad months versus 12 months with the midwest weather.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

In the same state, am originally from New Orleans, La. moved to Ponchatoula, La. 9 years ago to get out of the city and in the country.

Wonderful here as for peace and quiet, no noise no toxic people, no stress! Lots of dairy farms, horse farm, strawberry fields, veggie farms etc.

The weather is still hot and humid, but the air is sure cleaner even though I lived in the suburbs a block from Lake Pontchartrain, and we always had a fresh breeze.

I an now on five acres of wooded land, one acre cleared for the house, the rest is just wild and beautiful.
    My children are grown and on their own, my husband works for a company that lay underwater pipe for an oil company and is gone for weeks at a time, and I am here with my Furbabies (5 dogs).

It is so much nicer that the hustle and bustle of the city.

The winters here are mild, but the summers are hot and humid most of the time. We usually have a nice spring and fall, but this year the spring was as hot as this month is.

Glad you all like where you moved, and are feeling good too.

Shalom, Shirl

3. kgg

kgg New Member

So glad to be here in spite of the monsoons. I have a semi-life now. Back East with the cold and humidity I was almost bedridden. No regrets on the move. I try to never say never, but have no desire to move back. Although Maine is a beautiful state.

Glad to hear it was a positive move for you too. -Karen
  4. GeneticDefect

GeneticDefect New Member

Moving to Phoenix is the worse thing I did in my life. I've been sick since 1988 and cannot wait to move back to Cleveland. I'm allergic to everything out west and this god forsaken desert damn near killed me.

Pardon my pessimism but I've been sick for many years in this envivornment. i wouldn't be a suprised if the enviornment caused my health problems.
  5. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

Should have kept going until Arizona, I guess, considering the humidity here, but I love East Texas and don't care if I never go back to Pennsylvania. All I have to do whenever the humidity starts getting to me is look up at the picture of my husband blowing 4' of snow off the front walk.

It has also helped my Seasonal Affective Disorder greatly. Not gone completely, need to be even further south for that, but the crushing, imobilizing (and yes, suicidal) depression that gripped me for over 50 years is a thing of the past.

Pheonix? Please. . . southern Arizona should be explored before heading back into the cold enviorns of Ohio! It's beautiful in both places, but it's just nicer down there. And yes, the wild flowers around Tuscon are spectacular.

JoAnn
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To SW Florida and got rid of my asthma. For some, it's just the opposite; they move from the humidity to where it's drier to cure their asthma.

Denver's air was just too thin, dry, and polluted for me. The cold always brought on sinus infections, bronchitis, asthma, costo chondritis, and even pneumonia. I don't have those problems for the most part down here, although right now, I do have a sinus infection following a cold.

Love, Mikie
  7. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Last June, to Florida, loved the weather but couldn't find a job that would support the type of bills we had from Massachusetts that we could previously pay.

Then in August to northwest Washington state. The weather is moderate year round, but the economy is bad. The worse or second worse unemployment in the nation...so don't suggest moving here presently & Boeing is going to lay off 5000 more & they're one of the biggest employers. dolsgirl
  8. bamboo

bamboo New Member

i moved from boulder, co to seattle 15 years ago. i left behind bronchitis, nosebleeds, and headaches and a beautiful town. my illness was diagnosed a few years after moving here and the wet climate plays havoc with my symptoms, but the mild temperatures and another beautiful location are positives. however, i don't miss the painful cold or the more extreme heat, nor the bad pollution - but the pollution is getting bad here, too. have wondered about arizona - is the heat hard for any of you who live there? can one find healthy, organic food easily? sierra, am glad that you started this thread!
  9. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I'm stuck in the DC area until I make the plunge and retire. I moved out of a condo where I couldn't pull up the carpet that was aggravating my asthma, so it was a short move. But these constant weather fronts are killing me! Arizona or New Mexico sound pretty good to me if all you have to worry about is a short monsoon season.
  10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I also loved the heat of the summer in Florida. It was hot & humid, but I thought it was a much easier summer than what I had in western Massachusetts. Summer 2002.

Arizona, I lived in Scottsdale, just outside Phoenix & it was in the early 1980's. At that time, driving into Phoenix to go to work, there would be this greenish smog over Phoenix that only cleared on the rare occasion that it rained, about once every 90 days & hope for the wind with the rain to clear the smog out of the valley, which it would do. Also, it was when I had to be on high dose hormones prior to the hysterectomy related to endometriosis, so I did feel that it was literally hell on earth in the month of July. But, I did have big hormonal things going on then. I would possibly like it now.

Now that I live in northwest Washington State, on Hood Canal, I love the moderate weather. Alot of the elderly do go to Arizona for the winters though. The winters in this part of the state are nothing! All I wore this past winter, was this silky raincoat that is about knee length for a winter coat. Maybe my blood will thin out & I'll have to use a winter coat....not so far though. Now, northeast Washington State has from what I've heard, winters like New England. They can have it!!! dolsgirl