How many of you have tried Duragesic pain patches?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by flo, Oct 14, 2002.

1. flo

flo New Member

Just wondering. My Dr just switch me from oxycontin to this and it works SO so much better for me. It is 24/7 pain coverage. I have to change it every three days so I dont have to worry about taking meds so much.Its working great for me so far. Im just wondering why I dont here more people talking about this if it works so well. I would have tried it before had I known it would be this good.I hope it continues to work as well. Im kind of concerned if there is some reason others havent said they are using this for pain control. leaves me wondering does everyone else know something I dont.I know it is not a new med,its been around for quite some time.Anyone with experience? Mabey people just dont know about it? I didnt.But so far wow ..what a differance!!! Id love to hear some response.
    Blessings ~ Flo
  2. flo

flo New Member

Just wondering. My Dr just switch me from oxycontin to this and it works SO so much better for me. It is 24/7 pain coverage. I have to change it every three days so I dont have to worry about taking meds so much.Its working great for me so far. Im just wondering why I dont here more people talking about this if it works so well. I would have tried it before had I known it would be this good.I hope it continues to work as well. Im kind of concerned if there is some reason others havent said they are using this for pain control. leaves me wondering does everyone else know something I dont.I know it is not a new med,its been around for quite some time.Anyone with experience? Mabey people just dont know about it? I didnt.But so far wow ..what a differance!!! Id love to hear some response.
    Blessings ~ Flo
  3. lilwren

lilwren New Member

made me vomit after 24/7 use for two weeks. My doctor put me on the patch as a last resort. Finally after all other pain meds had me continually vomiting and unable to keep food down he said this one would work without the vomiting. Wrong! The patch worked great for the first few weeks and then it made me so sick I was bedridden and not eating. I started taking the patch on and off for several hours to see if that would help, but just kept getting more nausea. I am sensative to pain meds and all of them make me sick - it may work out okay for you. I personally would not ever get back on it. Getting off of it was like hell on earth - withdrawals so bad I was hallucinating - didn't sleep for four days straight - thought I was going insane - thought I would die - on top of all my other problems. AND I did it gradually not cold turkey. My overall experience was negative. I still have painful mental flashbacks of the withdrawals. But, I seem to react the opposite to everything. Hope it helps you. It's worth a shot.

love,

Sharon L
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2002]
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Several of my patients use these patches from 25 mcg. strength to 200 mcg. I have never been offered these by my doc. I have never been prescribed anything stronger than Percocet and now with my liver problems with inflammation and scar tissue, I probably never will be.
    My question is, do these patches, being transdermal, affect the liver like a (po) med? If not, I'd be interested!
    If anyone knows, let me know on another post.
    Flo, I am not surprised that these help. Are you loopy from them? Do you still work? See, I work as a nurse and I doubt I'd be allowed to work while on Duragesic patches. So glad you're finding relief!
    Love and prayers,
    Kady
  5. toots2

toots2 New Member

I am certainly glad the patch helps you but I have decided to wait for a while before going on it myself. Because we tend to build up a resistance to pain meds after taking them for a while, I think I will stick with the percoset I am on (3-4 a day, 5 mgs.) and put off using the patch until I am older and need it more. I will use it as a last resort as I have a long time to live and if I start taking it now it will not work as well years on down the road when I might really need it. I was also on oxycontin but was so addicted to it I had to stop taking it. Not that I was taking more than prescribed nor did I ever abuse it, I just knew it had me hooked. I was sleeping until noon, always, always constipated and my memory was worse than it is now. I was taking l00 mgs. a day. I cut back very slowly and had the worst withdrawals you could ever imagine. I stayed in and out of the bathtub for weeks because I was so cold all the time. I was craving the oxy for weeks after I stopped. It was a terrible experience. Anyway, for me to take anything as strong as the patch, I will have to be in more pain than I am now. Perhaps I won't ever need it, who knows. Glad it is helping you and others out there that need it so much. Suzanne
  6. mkayo

mkayo New Member

I was on Duragesic pain patches for approx. 6 months. I began having slow thought process, and was sleeping a lot. I had to be detoxed off the med by a Dr. It wasn!t fun. I was given Klonopin to help with the detox.,and would advise anyone coming off the med. to have a Dr!s help. This is a very strong narcotic and the longer a person is on it, the harder it will be to detox. the body from needing it. I am no longer on narcotics of any kind, and am using physical therapy, massage therapy , muscle relaxers, and a TENS unit. I still have a lot of pain and fatigue, but these therapies do help. I hope this is helpful information for you. You are right that the patch helps to eleminate most of the pain, but in the long run, can be a very bad experience.
  7. murillomod

murillomod New Member

I just want to let you know that my husband has been on the patch for about 6 weeks now, and he has said it is the only thing that can controll the pain, before the patch his pain was no less than an 8( on a pain chart, 10 being the worse.) The doctor has said he will probably get addicted to it , but otherwise the was no other way to controll the pain. He had tried others w/o no success. He also has to take lortab also for the really bad days. Good luck with your pain!!!
  8. allhart

allhart New Member

i just read something today that says the patches are not suposse to cause the stomach and liver promblems oral meds do wish i could find the artical agin but im in a fog today,
  9. Rich

Rich New Member

My wife (Noel) is the patient here and she was on the patches for about 2 years. They were started in the hospital when she was recovering from a hip replacement. Due to prednisone use (for Lupus) for several years her muscles were in bad shape. When she started using a walker after the hip replacement, the stress on the arm and shoulder muscles was what started her Fibro, that and the Prednisone muscles. To make a long story a little shorter, she had been on increasing doses of the patch as her body was getting used to it. Her lowest was 100 mg and her highest was 175 (in the end her pain doctor had her changing the patches every 2 days) along with Percocet usage every 4 hours. Well, the result of all this usage was suppressed respiratory function and the result of that was very, very bad pneumonia (she was doing a whole lot of sleeping-in a chair-and not breathing often enough or deeply enough). She had to be put in the hospital on Sept. 23 and she got out Oct. 9th. While in they got her off Duragesic and Percocet and got her on Methadone (this is used for drug addicts coming off drugs and it has some pain killing properties). They had to do this as she had respiratory failure and almost died. She was put in Intensive Care for three days because of the breathing and because she was aspirating (getting saliva and other secretions into her lungs) making the pneumonia even worse than it was before. The moral of the story is that the patches, used over a long period, will do more harm than good. Your body will get used to them and it will take more and more to do the job for you. Trust me here, this will happen. What you do not want to do is get to the point my wife was at. Short term they might be just what you need, But please make sure you are NOT ON THEM LONG-TERM !!! My wife is on Methadone now and she is also taking Vioxx (2 x daily) which is an anti-inflammatory and helps with pain. She is also taking Neurontin (2 x daily). She usually has a pain level of 5 during the day and all day, but she says she can deal with that. Again I say make sure you are not on the narcotic pain-killers long-term and work this out with a program with your doc. Close medical supervision is what is needed here along with a program to get off them after a period of time to be determined by your doctor.

Rich
  10. blast

blast New Member

I am considering going from oxycontin to the patch, but after reading some of the replies I am a bit scared!
    The one from Rich and his wife on the patch and the problems whoa scary!!! The withdrawal from oxycontin is so bad I'm not sure anything could be worse. I went off it once on my own and I thought I was going to die. My doc. daid never do that again. Well I can tell you I wouldn't without the help of professionals.
    As long as I have a life I know I will need pain meds, but I am getting more and more scared of the side effects, and I mean the ones of trying to get off of them.
    Well good luck on your patch, oh and I was wondering, after you put one on how long does it take to star getting some relief? Just curious.
    Sherri
  11. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I was put on them last year and stayed on them to this summer, I was switched to oxycontin, I went back on the patch last month. My reason for switching over the summer is because I'm in the pool daily and I was just having a problem keeping them on. Now that the pool season is over I asked to be put back on them. They are great for reliefing pain for me, I'm on the 50's. I also take loritab for breakthrough pain. I have tried the methodone also, I could not even drive to the grocery store or have a conversation without falling asleep while on that, it also gave me panic attacks. I don't have these problems on the patch, the oxycontin did well with the pain releif, but my stomach was having some irritation, and plus I'm not so worried about my patches being stolen(While on visiting relatives this summer I had some oxycontin stolen)
    Janson the makers of the patch will send you free clear patches to go over the patch,(it helps them to stay on so much better) just call them and tell them you've had problems with them staying on at times. They will send you a box of 50 at time, which in the drug store cost over $50.00. If your an active person there will be times that the patch will come loose, sweating is one thing that causes. My doctor told me to buy the clear gel deordorate and put over the area that your putting the patch, let it dry then put on the patch. I have found the best place for me to wear the patch is the upper breast area, the makers of them told me to never wear it below the waist, I'm not sure why, but I'm not taking any chances. They suggested the back kidney area, but I like to soak in the bath so that didn't work for me.
    They are heat activated so at first if you do some things where you get really hot you can get a little wozzie feeling because of the extra meds being released, never put a heating pad over the patch. Make sure you read all the materal in the box that came with them about disposal, they could very easily kill a pet, child or even another adult.
    I hope some the info helped.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  12. Rich

Rich New Member

with my description of what happened to Noel. I think what happened was a combination. I do not think it was the patch alone. Noel was taking 2 Percocets every 4 hours along with the constant medication from the patch. She was on 175 mg of the patch every 2 days and she was taking Percocets which were 10/325. One of those numbers is for the Tylenol in the caplet and the other is the strength of the pain-killer in the Percocet (and I apologize but I do not know which is which). Anyway I think it was a combination of the two which put her in the hospital. She used the patch for a couple of years and it did a great job until she started to need more. That is where the problem lies- -your body will get used to it and need more. That is why I said you need to use only under a doctor's watchful eye and he needs to have some kind of a program laid out for you. The patch worked fine until the point of needing more. The increasing dosage is the dangerous part. Your body can get too much.
  13. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

did a search on this site regarding duragesic patches, wish i had read some of this info before going on it--might benefit some considering the patch now. Good luck--laurie