How Many of You Nap During the Day??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, Jun 1, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

just curious as to those of you out there who take naps...

is it deliberate nap time for you or is it you just "fall asleep" when reading, watching tv, etc.

i usually crave a nap at about 1-2pm but don't always and cannot always allow myself one.

just feels so wonderful to able to catch one when soooo tired from flares, aches & pains, emotional heaviness! and the sooner summer arrives here in N.E. i'll be REQUIRING naps cuz the heat and humidity just does me IN....

so, any fellow nappers? :) ooooh, starting to thunder here and sky looks spooky too.
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I nap when I'm home. Plan to lay down for about an hour and wake up 3 hours later! Must have needed it.

I would nap at work but drool is really hard on the keyboard!! Not to mention the key indentations on my face!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I don't usually plan a nap, because 1)it is so painful for me to lay down because of my back 2) I always have 2 children at home. BUT, lately, I've been so exhausted that I find myself dozing in my chair with drool running down my cheek. LOL. I am sure I am a beautiful sight. I don't even realize I've fallen asleep until the phone rings or one of the children asks me something. Even these little "micronaps" can sometimes rejuvenate me enough for the rest of the day (sort of).

If I had a more comfortable bed (if I could actually find one that doesn't hurt my back!) and had both of my kids in school, I would DEFINITELY try to nap every day. Aaahhh...some day maybe! :)

Julie[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have started to because I cant stay awake .I have been waking up at mid night and lay awake until 4.
    I turn everything off ,its dark and cool.I lay down and sleep about 1 and a half hours.
    I love to sleep when it rains.
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kimfibro:

I start dozing after the stock market closes...LOL...sad, but true.

nyrofan
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

LOVE my naps.

Oddly enough, if I don't get a nap, I don't sleep as well at night even with sleep meds. Talk about an overactive nervous system.... I NEVER just fall asleep somewhere. Gotta be in my bed with my pillows and my bankie.

Marta
  7. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I need to nap in order to get through the day. If I don't take a nap, I find it extremely difficult to continue functioning. My naps can be at any time of the day, just when I begin to feel the flu-like symptoms increase in intensity. They can be anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, but I feel best if I sleep for more than 2 hours.

Kim
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I try to schedule a nap every day. My doctor told me that naps are good with the following conditions:

- Keep the nap to around 20 - 40 minutes
    - Be consistent. Either nap everyday or don't nap.

I usually nap between 3PM and 4PM. It does not interfere with my night time sleep.

Lola

P.S. I'm with Marta...gotta be in bed with my pillows and blankie. The couch doesn't give me a restful nap if I can even fall asleep which is rare.

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

I feel naps come over me when my back and neck begin to ache and it moves up the back of my head. I just have to lay down and get relaxed even if I don't sleep.
    I just have to "lose" myself in my thoughts - kind of washing the blackboard of my mind.
    Naps help to cut down on my pain around my shoulders, hands, neck and head.
    I can't nap anywhere except my own bed or my couch.
  10. twerp

twerp New Member

I have one almost every day when I get home from work. Sometimes I don't actually go to sleep, but do rest for an hour or so.

On a bad day, when I'm really tired, I go right to sleep, sometimes for 2 hours or more.

On the weekends, I nap whenever the mood strikes.

For me, the more naps, the better!

Hugs,
    Twerp
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

every day that I'm able to.
    when I can't get a nap in,..I totally breakdown by 6pm.
    I'm useless,cranky,sore and just a 'not so nice'person.
    lol
    My nephew sent me a site where they have a T-shirt that says "I LOVE my naps"
    He said I should definaitly get one!!
    and I might :)
  12. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I need to rest or nap when the flu like symptoms start creeping up on me. The time will depend on how active I have been. At a minimum, I need to lay down. If I don't don't do this during the day, I am in so much pain by bed time that I can't sleep.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I try to meditate every day at noon in my recliner, but I fall asleep every time.
    I LOVE taking naps.
    Kholmes
  14. luhu

luhu New Member

I am right alone with all of you. I still work but when I get home I lay down everyday about 330 until about 430 or 500. I dont fall asleep I take my pain med's and then try to just relax, I find if I dont I just can not function.

On the weekends I have a schedule of laying down at 12 noon for an hour of so.

But even with that I am still ready for bed at about 9 pm. And then I toss and turn wake up every hour sour stiff and hurting so bad, then the alarm goes off at 3 am so Im up taking pain meds to get ready to start the day. I dont have to be at work untill 6 am but I need that 3 hours to get my body moving and losen up.

I only have 1 child left at home and she is 16 and never home you know a tipical teenager. My other daughter is married and she usually dont call or come over untill she knows my 'nap' is over. And my husband just knows that this what I need to do.

My family still stuggles with this, still not understanding the whole FM thing. I was dx with this 9 yrs ago and it is getting worse.

Luhu
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  15. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I have to nap everyday, it's the only thing that gets me through the day.

I get up at 6:15 and usually lay back down around 8:30-9:00. No one seems to understand this and it is frustrating.

They think, just keep going, don't lay down, you are wasting the day.

I like napping in the morning, then its easier to get through the day. Otherwise, I am wiped out later on and I hate that.
  16. kriket

kriket New Member

I have really tired days when my body is screaming that it needs to lay down. Sometimes I take naps, when I get this zapped feeling.
  17. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I try to take a nap between 3 & 4 pm each day. I wake up early at 6 am so by mid-afternoon I need to recharge.

Need to be in bed with some relaxing music on.

Tania
  18. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but it takes medicine for me to sleep.Linda
  19. Eboni

Eboni New Member

I've read all of your posts about taking naps. And I see I should, but I don't. I guess I'm still in denial, and feel like I have to keep going, even though I may be in pain. However, if I feel the pain starting to rise, I call it like turning up the gas on the stove, when it gets high, I have to lay down and I do go to sleep, and I feel somewhat better, but tired. My bed hurts to lay in it, but my recliner is nice. I go to sleep at night at 2 and wake up at 4. Oh well. Thanks for listening.
  20. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I suppose I'm about the ONLY person here that does not nap, intentionally. However, I DO fall asleep a lot during the day. I have fallen asleep standing up, seriously, a couple of weeks ago and caught myself falling over toward the TV. I have dumped many, many cups of iced tea in my lap, on the floor, and on the end table beside me. You would think that by now, I would sit my tea on the end table but I don't. I think it's due to the depression.

I used to never fall asleep during the day because I just dispised sleeping; that was a loss of time during the day. I went through several years of "fighting sleep". Due to the other problems I have, I fought sleep because I was in so much pain when I awoke the next morning, which is still my worst time, but I now sleep at night, of course taking something mild to help me go to sleep.

BlueSky555