How Many Of You Suffer With Depression Along With This DD??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 7, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I would love to hear from those who suffer with depression/anxiety with this DD..
    What meds you take and how you cope..I feel the depression / anxiety is getting the best of me...It seems so much worse when I push and try to do because I feel I should for the family..

My doc thinks its two different illness but I disagree..I have never had Anxiety and Depression so bad until the CFS, Fibro, and MCS..

Am I the only one dreading the holidays?? I just can't do what is expected of me and feel so guilty.. My husband doesn't understand, nor does my family but I have pushed until I feel I can't anymore..

I have a daughter that really needs my help and it is driving me crazy that I can't be there to help her...She is not well, trying to raise her 2 grandchildren 1 and 3 plus her 13 yr old and working two jobs she gets no sleep...

Thanks for being here for me to vent..

greatgran
  2. adberens

adberens New Member

I came down with CFS and then depression. I lost my job because I could not work. I lost my friends because they were all tied up with my work life. My social life was gone. Who wouldn't get depressed. It took years for me to get on top of it. I was on Zoloft for a long time. Now I am on Cymbalta. I love it. It takes away the pain and seems to help with my mood.

My husband has been very supportive. I have learned that I have to spend 14 to 16 hours a day in bed but I make the best of the time I am able to be up. I volunteer at school and help out at church.

Hang in there!
  3. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

i have always suffered from depression but when i ahve a flare it gets worse and seems as thouigh prozac isn't working
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Adberens does the antidepressant help? I have both zoloft and cymbalta samples in my cabinet but the side effects were to much.. Why did you change?

Beth, sorry the prozac isn't working, how long have you been taking it?

I know I need an AD because I feel like I am completely going insane but so scared of the side effects..but got to try something..

Thanks for your input and God Bless,
    greatgran
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I hope the tapes work, I have tried them and they are very interesting but they didn't seem to help me..

So I am wondering if this is a chemical imbalance because of this DD then do we need meds? Can we change by changing our way of thinking if it is chemical? My depression is so much worse if I try to go and do and act "normal" seems rest is the only thing that helps..

Good Luck to you,
    greatgran
  6. rigby

rigby New Member

I got CFS and FM first. My PCP said it was very common when people have chronic pain or health problems to get depression I'm now on cymbalta it has been the only one to work prozac worked but made migraines worst.
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I didn't start taking antidepressants until after my diagnosis but my daughter feels I always have been mildly depressed.

I take 50 mg of Zoloft which is pretty much the low end of the dosage scale. I must admit, I feel much better for it and plan on staying on it.

Regards,

Eileen
  8. MerrimackRiver

MerrimackRiver New Member

I suffer from depression, fm and cfs. For depression I take 60 mg Cymbalta in the evening and 150 mg Wellbutrin XL in the morning. I started with 30 mg of Cymbalta and had to increase to 60 mg. for pain. So far this combination is working for me. It has taken a long time to get the right combination. From what I've read it seems these problems co-exist. Aren't we lucky?????

Without the Wellbutrin I've found that I get teary eyed easily. Terrible feeling.

One of the difficult things I've had to learn was to take care of me before anyone else. I am 67 and have had these problems for many years. Didn't know what it was till 1987. My husband has been very supportive.

I am detailed oriented and find that is the most difficult thing for me to stop. I'm a work in progress.

It has to be difficult for you to feel guilty not to be able to help your daughter at this time. The guilts have to go. Easy to say, hard to do.

Is is possible for you to have someone come in to clean your house for a few months just to take a little load off your shoulders?

Pushing yourself is not helping . . . you have to take care of you before helping others. I know you don't want to hear this but!!!!!!

On the web look up "The Spoon Theory" - a good way to have family, friends understand. Also look up "njcfsa.org/INSPIR.html" and scroll down till you see "Hi, My Name is Fibromyalgia" You'll also get a kick out of it. We also have to smile. :)

I hope that is a little helpful. You can vent here anytime. That's what we are here for.

Warm hugs and love, Merri
  9. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Just one question.. What is DD stands for?

And... I do get depress a lot. Some day I would feel so depress out of blue. Mostly when I dont feel good or when my symptoms flares up. I think it is understandable that you felt depress since you had been sick a lot. It can be so mirsable and helpless.

My daughter is 3. And I am single mother. And I had been up and down a lot. I am currently full time studnet at college and just quit my part time job. Now I am trying to find other job. I am having hard time to cope my depression. Some day I have good days. While others I felt like going crazy. My daughter can be so handful and is strong willing. It is very hard to handle her while feeling so sick. I had been really battle with depression ever since I was 14. I had anxiety and panic attacks when I ws around 17 and 18. I was prescribled to have anti deprssant drugs when i was 18, but quitted when I leanred I was pregnant at 19. And then I just never went back. I think those makes my anxiety worse. I still do feel depress on and off... Mostly when I am not feeling good. I never really want to go back to anti dpressant medications. But I am trying to cope through talking about it... And... Rest and then cry until I feel better.(well, of course, that was after having headaches. :) ) I often jotted down my thoughs, and tried to cope it by myself. It might help when you have support system. ANd it is hard cuz your family wil not understand you. That is what this place was for. We all are willing to listen to your vents.

Sometimes you may need a break. I know that your daughter needs your help, but is there any possible that you can take little break? It can be really stressful on you. You might want to back down and just rest when you dont feel good, the more you rest, the less stressful you feel (like when you have to get up to take care of your grandkids)

I am sure that your grandkids are really presences to you. Prepare is that hard for you to say no? My daughter's mamaw loves her very much, she does need some break sometimes but she always love to be around her (since I am living with my step mom).

Take care. Hugs
  10. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been struggling with this for years, and tried every SSRI (too many side effects). The one that "switched" my light on was Effexor, but then it started upsetting my stomach and increasing my insomnia.

So I, too, know it's a matter of getting my brain back to normal, and I'm starting neurofeedback now. Can't get too involved until the QEEG test (most sensitive one) results come in this week.

Meanwhile, I just keep taking what helps some: Licorice Root Extract (can't take St. John's Wort); Tyrosine (amino acid) is great, but I can only take a "little" of it;
    some homeopathic depression remedies help a little as well.

I've read too many positive results from the whole neurotransmitter issue (brain), so that's my next "hope".

It truly is a trial 'n error issue, as all our symptoms are, but depression is definitely one of the hardest.

As for "family", I had to divorce them years ago, as they kept wanting me to play their support system, and when I no longer could, they got angry. I don't need angry people in my life to stress me even more. But I'm good at saying "NO".

Sorry this was so long; just know what you're dealing with.

LIGHT***********carole
  11. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I believe this dd and depression/anxiety go hand in hand with me as well. I think it is normal that a person would become depressed from hurting all the time – granted, some days are better than others but it never really goes away.

Right now I take Cymbalta 60mg in morning – I think it works pretty well for the depression but I still get anxious about the pain. I want it to go away – NOW – not in 10 minutes but NOW. . .isn’t there anyone that can get rid of this pain right now???? What can I do about this pain now. . .does that make sense?

I think you should talk to your Dr to see what he suggests for you. It isn’t healthy to feel like that all the time either. At first I thought I could handle it on my own but I finally went in and talked to mine. There are so many options out there that they will find the right one for you.

I wish you well!

Kelly
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Diagnosed with clinical depression/ anxiety disorder in 1997; diagnosed with FM in 2003. They are two very separate diseases with me.

My depression can be bad but my aches aren't any worse. My sleep may be, but not the pain. The pain can be bad and my depression under control. The two are not connected. By that I mean that if one is bad, it doesn't automatically follow that the other will also be.

So, I see many responses to this, and although I haven't read them all, this is my experience.

Hope you get it figured out and under control. It will help you a lot.

Hugs,
    Sue
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

for your input and sharing your experiences..I am so sorry we have to go thru this..I feel my depression is so bad that I am once again going to have to try something..Not sure what..

We all vary in our pain, depression fatigue etc..The pain I can live with or take something but this feeling of going insane and the flu like feelings, the fatigue, headaches, nausa etc. just puts me in bed..I try so hard to be normal and do the normal things but when I do I pay. So it just isn't worth it..I hate to but I am going to have to accept the fact that I do better being homebound than trying to go and do..

I am older, 63 so I feel this makes is worse..

Thank you and God Bless each of you,
    greatgran
  14. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Greatgran...........I'm hitting 63 next month, and I'm sure we worsen as we do the "aging" process as well.

Aint fair, is it!!

LIGHT*********carole
  15. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Greatgran...........I'm hitting 63 next month, and I'm sure we worsen as we do the "aging" process as well.

Aint fair, is it!!

LIGHT*********carole
  16. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Aint fair, is it!!

LIGHT*********carole
  17. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have lived with anxiety virtualy my entire life. Only been treated for it in the past few years. After being diagnosed with DD, was diagnosed with depression also. I first tried Zoloft. It made me feel better but about destroyed my marriage. (sexual side effects) Then I went on Wellbutrin which seemed to work pretty good for a while with no side effects but after I had to quit work, I couldn't afford all my medications so I decided that was one I would have to do without. I know I need something though and I am going to ask the doctor next month when I go for my appointment to give me something that is cheaper.
    Stinker56
  18. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

Hi I suffered from depression/anxiety way before this DD. But this DD has added to it. I have severe depression, and have been on alot of different anti-depresants. Right now a take saraquil, to help sleep, and physcaritist, is putting me on startera, twice a day. not sure how this will work. I take nothing at the moment for pain, doc is planing on trigger point injections. yes my doc also says that depression can be because of this DD.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. They tell me there is a light at the end of this tunnel. So that is what i am looking for.
    becca
  19. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I was diagnosed with FMS almost 2 years ago. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for more than 15 years. I take Wellbutrin for the depression, but I honestly don't think it is helping. I also tried Paxil, and all that did is cause me to gain 10 lbs., among other side-effects. It's been a struggle finding something that will help with the depression/anxiety. My mom suffered with depression, so maybe it is somewhat a genetic situation with me.
  20. pastel

pastel New Member

I have both as well and need to treat both conditions. For
    me, as far as the cfs goes, that means following a lot of the guidelines set out by Bruce Campbell on his website...there is a free download
    of eleven coping with this illness chapters.

Greatgran I can't stress enough how much his logging approach has helped me pace myself and be able to do more
    without paying so much for it. After a few weeks (5 minutes a day of effort?) I was able to tell who and what tired
    me most, made me most anxious etc. Currently I have
    easy, restful mornings with no phone calls, "work" etc.
    In the afternoons I have some energy to do "brainwork"
    stuff, talk to a friend, have a visit, go for a walk,
    do some cooking...whatever it is that takes energy.
    In the evenings I've learned that taking a recreation approach is what works; mostly that means a video, a light
    book, etc. No work. This has helped me a lot!

When I first started effexor I had to take tiny doses of
    it and build up very very slowly. But for me, it had the
    effect of making me feel "like myself". The terrible
    depression lifted and the very slight insomnia was offset
    by l/4 of a xanax.

Right now I'm in the process of switching to a different medication because I became sensitive to the effexor, which
    is a shame because it was very effective. But in a matter
    of weeks(once it's out of my body) I'm certain that I will
    have to take a different antidepressant. And I'm not going
    to fight it...had a depression in my 30's and toughed it
    out to no avail, it was very hard on me and on my husband.

Love and support to you,
    Catherine

L