How Many of You Use a Cane for balance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moonchild1970, Mar 31, 2006.

1. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

I finally gave in and bought one back in the beginning of Jan. My balance has never been great but since last summer has been getting atrocious. Is this common in Fibro?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2006]
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Yes I too have a cane.But it was not prescribed for the fibro I was a klutz and tripped and fell off a step that was about 6 inches high and I had several hariline fractures in my right ankle and in my right leg. And it still hurts from time to time and then add the arithritis in both knees I realy need to use one. But since I hvae been know to trip as I did once again and shattered my left wrist and now it has a titaumim plate and 6 screws in it to hold it together.

Usuing the cane makes my upper arm and wrist hurt to use so unless I am really hurting and can't balance I don't use it. I should have used it tonight at the store but the pain I am in right now from the weather and this flare from hades I could not stand to use it.

It has been helpfull to have. And it does make it so that I can balance much better and it is easier to get out of cars with the cane. But I get all the questions when I use it . How what did you do now? What did you hurt this time? I didn't know taht you had fallen again? So I tend not to want to use it and have to answer questions. I have told people that I just need it for balance from the arthrits in my knees but I still get the 20 questions stuff each time .

I hope that it works well for you.
    Rosemarie
  3. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Yes, I have 3!..one I call my walking stick.
    I get really dumb looks from people but, I have gotton over
    it.

When people ask me what I need it for I say...

DECORATION...!!!they dont know what to say then....

Or I'm practicing hilking for the Alps.
    Be creative......its none of their business anyway!!!!!

They wont pick you up when you trip over thin air anyway!!!

hope this helps...
  4. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I don't really care what people think anymore. But since I don't go much anymore I am usually using it at home. I have fell too many times at home and other places to care what others think while I use my cane. I have one with the four prongs and then I also have two regular canes. I don't use the four prong one as often b/c I am so clumsy that I have tripped over it. I know what you mean about you balance getting bad I feel like I have always just got off a ride that makes you dizzy or that the flor is really unlevel.

Pamela
  5. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

My hands and feet go numb and my balance is sooo off now with the FMS. I feel comfortable at home but must take it any time I leave.

Sometimes it does hurt my hand and arm to use it, but falling is not something I want to do. When I first got it, it embarrassed my husband. He would say,"Just hold onto me" then he would walk off and I would be left standing alone. Dim lighting seems to make it worse.

Suzette
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

moonchild:
    I used a cane until I was put on meds. I could hardly walk.

n.f.
  7. zerped

zerped New Member

I began using a cane on my own six months into my ME/CFIDS. I too have balance problems, plus in the winter I've had hip and knee pain (but not this year! who knows why? who cares!), and getting out of the car and doing steps are both SO much easier with the cane. On my last trip to Mexico, I felt a little bit better going out at night (instead of someone seeing me and going, "Dude, look! Someone we can rob!" they would have to say, "Dude, look! Someone making pretty good time carrying a nasty-looking club!")

I try to do without as much as possible, but it's also a great energy-saving device; it takes much less energy to lean on something than it does to use muscles to keep your body perpendicular to the ground.
  8. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have a cane also. When I am in a flare I need it as I am unstable and easily disorented. I also can have major leg pain and it helps me just walk. Right now I am not using it all the time as I am not in a major flare. However if I get really tired I will use it to keep me steady. I too don't have gotten over what people think. The first time I had to use it at work it was very hard for me. Now, I am just greatful to be up and moving around.

So, to answer your question for my Fibro this is common.
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I love my walker.I almost get a regular stride.Linda
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I have a cane, a walker and a scooter. I need them because of Chronic Fatigue, which leves me weak and unsure on my feet.

They really help. I use the cane every day to go get my mail. My box is about 60 feet from my front door and the ground is uneven.

I don't know if falls are usual in Fibro, although I have it. Mine started when I got CFIDS.

Terry