How many of you use Amino Acids??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morningsonshine, Jun 15, 2006.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Dose this help with symptoms?, i've noticed a few say they use it and was considering adding it to my supplements.

Do you look for certain aminos, of just a good blend??
    I was thinking of trying the one from Pro-health anyone else use it?
    Or, anyother sugested varieties??

Thank you
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

What kind of symptoms are you talking about?

best,
    Victoria

3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I take one Complete Amino by Healthway brand, and I take DLPA (which is DL-phenylalanine) because my doc suggested it.

I seem to have a little more energy, and maybe a little less pain...but I just started taking it not long ago. It takes a while to work.

God Bless.
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm really happy if people have found positive results from taking amino acids, but I have a word of caution:

I've been told by a registered dietician (and a nutrition text book) that taking amino acids supplements really doesn't work, because your body can only process so many at a time- and taking large amounts of one amino acid (more than would be in food) actually just ties up your body's ability to process OTHER amino acids. Eating FOODS with amino acids in them is a better way to get what your body needs to absorb.

I personally wouldn't try them, because I think that it wouldn't be worth my money. I think that eating nutritious food and taking a safe amount of vitamins and minerals would be a more effective (and less expensive) avenue to getting better.

I'm curious to see if other people on this board have to say about amino acids! Has anyone had positive results??
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

also...

most people do not eat enough of what we need in nutrition...

well i'm going to keep this short..

jodie
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm a nutritionist as well, and have plenty of texts that describe in detail the benefits of individual amino acid therapy. They definitely target and build specific neurotransmitters when taken alone on an empty stomache. That info you got would only be true if you take them w/ food, because then they do have to compete for absorption and the other aminos in your system will cancell out the individual action, so that would be a waste.

Always take them on an empty stomache, and they do work, and quite well. I've taken several isolates and they wre great for different things.

A word about dieticians too, they tend to be on the opposite end of the holistic spectrum from nutrionists like myself and I've butted heads w/ them over it too. I kind of see them as part of the doctor mentality. They side w/ modern medicine, but don't give holism much credit and don't believe in supplements much. You will often hear them saying that even vitamins don't do much for us, because we get enough nutrients from a balanced diet.

I totally don't believe our modern food supply is adequate because of modern farming that leaves our produce very depleted compared to organic counterparts. And esp. w/ our type of illness, we have malabsorption and many problems that keep us from getting the nutrients we need from food and also being able to convert them in our bodies regardless of how good we eat.

For myself, supplementing is an absolute must, my body acts like its starving if I don't.

As for amino acid combos, people have posted dramatic results w/ depression relief, energy and mental clarity from taking them. I'm sure its because their sick bodies can't convert what they need from thier food. One gal w/ super results is also a vegetarian, and perhaps that contributes to an enhanced performance of the aminos, since meat is the best source of complete protein. Its certainly not that vegetarians can't get protein from their diet, but if you are sick its that much harder to convert what you need from secondary protein sources other than meat. I've heard of this happening w/ pregnant women too. I knew a family that ws very granola (before I ever was) and all vegetarian, but then the wife got pregnant she had to eat meat or be malnourished. her's was a temporary glitch in metabilism, but it shows you what can happen when the body is distressed.

Jeanne
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i couldn't have said it better myself....

jodie
  8. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I've been taking them for 2 weeks, too soon to tell yet if they are working, but from reading Jeanne's reply it appears I'm taking them incorrectly, I take them with the other supps I use. Going to try them on their own and see if there is a difference.

Hangin - re: the gelatin
    I read that gelatin can give you energy so I eat a jelly cube every day, have fantastic nails but as yet not much energy, didn't know about the connection with amino's though.

Sue
  9. morningsonshine

Lots of great responses, thank you everyone,

Victoria- my symptoms are either from lymes, or fibro; depression, hormone issues, and extreme muscle pain.

Unicornk- Thanks for the brandname suggestion.

elliker- thanks for the word of caution, alway need to consider both sides, but as long as it won't hurt me, its worth a try.

Jeanne-in-canada- Very informative reply, thank you.
    Question, it sounds like you feel we should only do one at a time? But people do get results from taking a combo?

I suppose without testing, a combo is like a shot-gun approach? But shot guns can get the job done too, sometimes. LOL

Thanks, jodiesplace

Hangin- Hi, I kinda like your idea with the knox. I think, i may just try that out first, and see what happens.
    1 whole packet at once?? Any idea what aminos are in knox?

Tantallon- sounds like hangininthere is getting more in her system. Maybe you want to try her way and see if that helps?? Please, bump this thread up later and let us know how its working for you.

Thanks all, i hope there is more input on this!
  10. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Thanks for the information Jeanne-in-canada. I definitely don't take everything I am told as "the TRUTH," I report it as I was informed about it. I also had a similar thought to your's that amino acids might not be recommended for "healthy people" because yeah, their bodies metabolize what they need out of food. I was thinking that if we are having systemic problems in our body (part of these chronic illnesses) revolving around energy and so many other things, that probably means that our bodies have an increased need for certain nutritional elements ... regardless of what any nutrional "authority" would argue.

Do you have any journals or periodicals that you trust (and like) that have nutritional information in it that is NOT anti-supplements? I would love to read and research more. :) Espeically because my start of nutritional education was highly informative and interesting, but (obviously) NOT inclusive of holistic perspectives ... and I would love to keep opening my perspective and knowledge. And apparently I need something besides my nutritionally "conservative" textbook. ;)

I was wondering about a lot of the things that my nutrionist teacher said .... especially in regards to ALL supplements. You hit the nail right on the head when you said "You will often hear them saying that even vitamins don't do much for us, because we get enough nutrients from a balanced diet. " Describes my instructor to the T! Although I have to say, she did remind us multiple times in the class that the daily recommended values and other recommended intakes are for HEALTHY individuals and not sick folks ... but I do wish she had mentioned some of the areas that were controversial when she stated them as fact (for example the amino acids issue).

I know from my personal experience that vitamins, minerals and supplements are helpful! I depend on them as much as my other medications (actually, probably more). The reason I brought up my concerns about amino acids in this thread, was to share a different opinion and then check if there were folks on here who knew differently (because I have only been exposed to one side of thought, I wanted to know more).

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me! I really appreciated it. I like being able to discuss things on this board with respect and mutual interest- even if it involves opposing opinions or beliefs. (And I also hope that when your title said "faulty advice" it was referring to what I had been told, not what I was saying. I was not trying to tell anyone what to do, I was just trying to share what I had been told)

I'm so glad that there are dieticians out there who ARE holistic! Know any in the Pacific Northwest part of the U.S.? ;)

- ellikers
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  11. morningsonshine

Just read on some elses post that about Anti-depressants,
    That amino acid 5-htp helps with depression, and serotonin.
  12. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Jeanne-in-cananda: Did you take a formal naturopathic/holistic training as a dietician?

I'm curious about how to get structured education in this area ... I want to be a nurse practitioner in the future (lot of schooling ahead of me) but I would also like to have a blend of approaches, not just western medicine but holistic nutrition/naturopathic medicine as well. Do you happen to know of different option out there? (i'm going to do a search online, but figured since you seem very educated and knowledgable about the shortcomings of western med. you'd also have some ideas!) :) Take care!
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Reputable studies published in reputable journals have shown over and over that the nutrients available in normally grown food crops have receded in quantity compared to 1933 (think that was the year). The reason is that the soil is being depleted by monoagriculture.

While waiting for Jeanne to weigh in (I'd also like to hear her recommendations), I can tell you that Life Extension Foundation has a lot of information on protocols both 'alternative' and traditional plus the scientific biblios to back up their info - it is all available free on their website. Unfortunately they don't have one for Lyme, yet.

I also like 'Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements' by Michael Murray ND and 'Prescription for Nutritional Healing' by Phyllis Balch CH & James Balch MD altho they're getting a bit old; wish they'd update them (if anyone knows they have, please let me know!)

There's a really good overall informative article, "Biochemistry of Lyme Disease: Borrelia burgdorferi Spirochete/Cyst by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allenthese", if you google 'Townsend Letter Lyme' or the title- Townsend Letter is an alternative medical journal for doctors and public - also backs up what it says with biblios of sc. articles.

Within that article, published Feb/March 2006, these amino acids are listed as helpful against Lyme:

-----------------
    Listing 1: Dietary Supplements Increasing Acetylcholine
    Synthesis Improving Neurologic Function

* Phosphatidylcholine (Lecithin)Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    * Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
    * Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
    * Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
    * Lysine (Amino Acid)
    * S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM) (Sulfur-bound Adenosyl Methionine)

If the inhibition of acetylcholine release were total, Lyme patients and those suffering from food poisoning would not be able to move; they would be completely paralyzed. Since the blockage is only partial, any increase in the amount of available neurotransmitter would benefit anyone experiencing neurotransmitter blockage. For this reason, dietary supplements increasing the amount of available acetylcholine have been shown to benefit Lyme patients. "
    -----------------

Somewhere else I also got additional info about what supplements are helpful for Lyme as well but cannot relocate it - but I know it also recommended L-Arginine. This one my son feels has helped him cognitively plus given a bit of energy, but of course if you are prone to herpes breakouts, you may not want to use it.

Hope this helps,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

That is actually one of my course reference texts. Its updated every few years and has been a runaway bestseller forever. Seems if people know little of holism, they know about that book and own it or want it. I gave my old version to a sister who was slobbering over it, as the course sent me the latest edition. I'm sure mine is outdated now too. I still see the book everywhere.

Perscriptions for nutritional Healing is an excellent easy reference, in layman's tems, for most nutrients, supp, and herbs. It's one of the books I reach for the most often and where why my brain archives got most of its amino info from actually.

Another of my course book faves is "Diet & Nutrition a holistic approach", by Rudoph Ballentine, MD. It was a bestseller in its day, and has some outdated info, but the book is so good our college felt they shouldn't throw the baby out w/ the bathwater and included it, and I'm so glad. The copyright is 1978.

My other fave, but its from my medical terminology course when i was secretary and still working, is "The Language of Medicine", by Davi Ellen Chabner. Its a write in text though, and has also been updated many times. The text is usually used for nursing courses, and I got it through a correspondence catering to medical staff at the Civic Hospital in Ottawa. $450 bucks, for the course 10 yrs ago, and worth everry darn penny. I could still think back then and had a 98% average on certificate, and was getting the plummest jobs right away from it. I took to med. terminology much better than the nutrition course, which surprised me.

Jeanne
  15. Jeanne-in-Canada

Of course I meant the advice you were given was faulty, as far as my school of thought believes. Of course the other side could argue to the eye teeth on that one, and they do.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt on that. I didn't mean to sound like I was browbeating you.

I took your post as throwing out an opinion you'd heard, on the amino topic, and seeing how it bounced off of us. Like this is what I heard, take it w/ a grain of salt, what do you all think? Do you think this info is true? That's how I took your post.

Jeanne
  16. ellikers

ellikers New Member

YAY! That's what I was hoping you meant ... and how I wanted you to interpret my post.

I'm actually on my way out the door to look at the local bookstore and library for some of the books you mentioned, and other I found out about by researching online. :)

Thanks again. And I'm sure I'll "talk" to ya soon.
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

If you have to take a whole pack of gelatin for one dose, the cost would be more than buying an amino blend.

I noticed Prohealth sells a blend of 23 aminos and the price is very good. I was thinking of trying them next.

Whey protein would be another way to get your aminos in concentrate and would probably be cheapest of all. Stormey uses a cheap bulk whey product in her shake. I'm sure that is half the success of the shake, is the amino concentrate in the whey.

Jeanne
  18. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Sends me to the Pro Health Store to check them out.

When I did a search for Amino Acids, my new daily multiple vitamin supplement that I've tried pops up on the search.

It's the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid.

I've had amazing results with this vitamin, hubby noticed a change for the better too. Now I'm trying to get my daughter to start taking them too.

Jeanne, I completely agree with what you said about the depletion of the soils. I was convinced when I bought and read "The Miracle of Magnesium" and it was firmly debated/discussed by Congress (I think) back in the 1940's.

Although the Fibro Complete Multi seems like it's expensive at first, I tossed a few of my individual supplements because they're included in this multi which makes it pretty affordable. (In the grocery store range but I like this multi 100 times better)

I'm concerned for those who can't afford a supplement. Is there anyway you could check what you're taking and compare it to something that covers everything like the Pro Health Multi I'm taking?

It's well worth the price....I even gave 14 to a friend who has MS and was at home very sick with a cold. She's leaving Tues to spend the summer at home in the states and the way she sounded, she wouldn't have been able to make the trip.

Two days later, we had lunch out in town and did some shopping. She's been out and about since too.

Hugs,

Nancy B.

19. sues1

sues1 New Member

On our store....here at ProHealth...

Fibro Complete Multiā„¢ with Malic Acid (30 count)has a sale,,,,,,buy 2 and get a third free. I do not know how long this sale lasts.

You will not see this additonal bottle until you click on to
    Add to shopping cart (or how ever they state it.....and then it shows this offer.....
    Susan